Troopers 2016

I definitely think the LOS guy was at fault (and I've thought this from the beginning) for initiating all the contact, but I too am the type that does not believe violence should be met by violence. It's just my own moral philosophy, it's fine if others have different ones. Should Tim have disarmed the LOS staff member? Yes. But that's as far as it should've gone. Like HockeyDad, my opinion won't be changed on this, but I can definitely see the other side of it. I hope the Troopers do end up pursuing legal action though.

Who's to say it did go any farther than disarming him, or doing what was necessary to feel confident he would not attack again? I am wise enough to know that I do not have enough information to conclude that he was disarmed any sooner than the last punch being thrown, and that is with the luxury of a cool head.

The guy was clearly bat crap crazy, so why assume he wouldn't keep attacking unless strong measures are used. Should he have gambled with the safety of others the guy might have harmed? Should he have waited for security to solve the problem, given that security was the problem?

• Like 1

........................This is hands down one of Tim Snyder's greatest moments.

I beg to differ; had Tim turned and winked into the camera after placing the gent tlts up on the ground.....now THAT would had been a moment.

• Like 5

In this day and age you just don't know... This authority figure had already proved himself to be unreasonable, had thrown an elbow ( who throws a punch with an elbow ) and Tim did not see the chokehold coming. Barney Fife just kept coming (Relentless?) and Tim finished it. It's all on video and will exonerate him. laughed when Barney gets up and storms away, presumably to get reinforcements, which is exactly what he should have done.

• Like 1

Regarding the security guard, he will most likely be fired. No matter what went on prior, he should never strike anyone, and he struck first. Let's face it, the DCI crowd has to be easier to handle than the Colts crowd (and I'm not talking about our friends in Dubuque) and in that kind of setting, a brawl could have started. Actually if it had happened at a show that involved corps from New Jersey or the Boston area in the 60's or 70's, a brawl would have started.

The problem for Troopers is that this happened in front of marching members. It could also be a violation of policies regarding staff conduct. They have to take some action, but I'm thinking it can be handled without firing the staff member which could also impact Troopers. if handled incorrectly, it could be viewed as not taking care of one of their own. That had to be a very emotional time for all involved with Troopers. Their show made Boston and Madison fans very nervous. It looked as if Troopers could have eclipsed both, they were that good.

• Like 1

The problem for Troopers is that this happened in front of marching members. It could also be a violation of policies regarding staff conduct. They have to take some action, but I'm thinking it can be handled without firing the staff member which could also impact Troopers. if handled incorrectly, it could be viewed as not taking care of one of their own. That had to be a very emotional time for all involved with Troopers. Their show made Boston and Madison fans very nervous. It looked as if Troopers could have eclipsed both, they were that good.

This has actually been my own personal thinking as well. As a representative of the corps Tim is held to a different standard than a 'civilian', so the Troopers may need to do something on a personnel level. I am expecting (and hoping) that it...whatever "it" is...will not be made public and that Tim will not be let go. I do not know him at all, but reading what all of those who do know him have been saying, he sounds like a great person.

It is pretty obvious from the entire video that the security guy was the one in the wrong.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3

I definitely think the LOS guy was at fault (and I've thought this from the beginning) for initiating all the contact, but I too am the type that does not believe violence should be met by violence. It's just my own moral philosophy, it's fine if others have different ones. Should Tim have disarmed the LOS staff member? Yes. But that's as far as it should've gone. Like HockeyDad, my opinion won't be changed on this, but I can definitely see the other side of it. I hope the Troopers do end up pursuing legal action though.

You don't want violence. The attendant ended up with a bloody nose...yet you are calling for a total DISARMING????

Geeeezzzz....tough crowd. :glare: ... :sleepy: ... :smile:

Edited by HornTeacher

Throwing the "punch" with the elbow is actually a technique that is taught in many self defense courses and can cause more damage than a fist. This tells me the security guard intended to inflict pain or stun. Based on the video showing him throw the elbow, followed by a choke hold, I find myself asking WHY? I saw nothing from the Trooper staff member that warranted that physical attack from the LOS security employee.