Troopers 2016

Thought you had seen the uniform announcement page. The designer is quoted, Michael Raiford

Thought you had seen the uniform announcement page. The designer is quoted, Michael Raiford

The announcement said:

In overseeing the Trooper's new look, Raiford had to think beyond the 2016 production, "Hero," to shows in future years that have yet to be conceived.

I think the confusion may be over whether "overseeing" constitutes "designing". I would imagine that Raiford and the Fred J, Miller designer worked together, but who knows who contributed which ideas to whom. The sketch is specifically copyrighted by FJM, so it was definitively their pen which made the final drawing.

The announcement said:

In overseeing the Trooper's new look, Raiford had to think beyond the 2016 production, "Hero," to shows in future years that have yet to be conceived.

I think the confusion may be over whether "overseeing" constitutes "designing". I would imagine that Raiford and the Fred J, Miller designer worked together, but who knows who contributed which ideas to whom. The sketch is specifically copyrighted by FJM, so it was definitively their pen which made the final drawing.

i think none of this really matters. With that said, most designers , directors etc etc , whoever heads this sort of thing ( and it can be different ) they all work with who the company is and their design team. Final product of course is the corps rep doing this UNLESS a designer just leaves it up to the company designer which is pretty unlikely.

Now if a corps wants to put that much power into a company to decide this I suppose they can but the process usually is

Corps: this is my idea, here are a few things I would like to see

Company designer , Here are a few sketches, like any of them?

Corps: Here's a tweaked version.

This can go back and forth for months.

AS you said most very likely a combo of both, initiated by the corps rep and combined with ideas ( based on the corps vision ) of the vendor designer.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like the towel. Always makes me cringe when I see brass instruments sitting on bare pavement. :shutup:

Same here. One of the techs while I was marching was given prototype pieces that go around the trumpet bell and the curved part under the mouthpiece. Kept wandering if that thing was going to catch on.

Helped out at the last Texas camp. This is not your typical Troopers show. Not by a long shot. Corigliano? Yep. And it's spectacular.

The musical and emotional sophistication is ramped up, sound design is ramped up. Visual is key and they know it. I had a chance to sit and talk with DVD and RWS about this show, and this corps. Legendary people, those two. I can't wait to see the visual package. (Huge guard at camp, too) I think the new uniform will make a lot more sense in this show.

• Like 3