Troopers 2016

I bet 99% of people on here have no idea what comes after the first 30 seconds that they used in 2013.

I do. "The Devil's Bridge" by Bertrand Moren. (And no, I did not look it up on CorpsReps... I pretty much know the program by heart.)

In a show with the title "Hero," a composition titled "Walking with Heroes" would seem to be a fitting selection.

Yes, but to me the title is immaterial, as that composition could've been titled a hundred different ways, and each would've been equally fitting. The mood that the tune creates is more important than the title, unless it's a well-recognized tune/title.

Whatever mood is created by Walking with Heroes could've been created by other tunes (not associated with an incredible brass performance and championship show).

(e.g., Pacific Crest did a "color" show a few years back - using Yellow by Coldplay made since, as everyone recognizes that tune and the yellow mood that it portrays, but that they also used Blue Sapphire, a wind ensemble tune that most people don't know and can't relate to "blue" other than "blue" is in the title)

Yes, but to me the title is immaterial, as that composition could've been titled a hundred different ways, and each would've been equally fitting. The mood that the tune creates is more important than the title, unless it's a well-recognized tune/title.

Whatever mood is created by Walking with Heroes could've been created by other tunes (not associated with an incredible brass performance and championship show).

Perhaps you should be asking Crown, then:

Why, in a show titled "Postcards from Britain," did they choose to play "Crown Imperial"?

Why, in a show titled "Bohemia," did they choose to play "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

Why, in a show titled "A Second Chance," did they choose to play Mahler's Resurrection Symphony?

Why, in a show titled "Out of this World," did they choose to play "Interstellar Suite"?

Or do your rules apply only to corps who have not won championships?

Your point is not invalid: It is, indeed, quite likely that there are many compositions that could be suitable, or made to be suitable, to fit the theme and feeling sought by the designers. But why is it the Troopers alone who should be obligated to seek out alternative material when corps such as Crown are permitted to be as derivative as they please?

As has been hashed over many times before on these forums, corps frequently revive compositions that have been performed in earlier years by other corps. It's pretty much a DCI rule that a corps must play "West Side Story" at some point in their life (Carolina Crown, 2008, 2009).

And now it's suddenly an issue?

Perhaps you should be asking Crown, then:

Why, in a show titled "Postcards from Britain," did they choose to play "Crown Imperial"?

Why, in a show titled "Bohemia," did they choose to play "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

Why, in a show titled "A Second Chance," did they choose to play Mahler's Resurrection Symphony?

Why, in a show titled "Out of this World," did they choose to play "Interstellar Suite"?

Or do your rules apply only to corps who have not won championships?

Your point is not invalid: It is, indeed, quite likely that there are many compositions that could be suitable, or made to be suitable, to fit the theme and feeling sought by the designers. But why is it the Troopers alone who should be obligated to seek out alternative material when corps such as Crown are permitted to be as derivative as they please?

As has been hashed over many times before on these forums, corps frequently revive compositions that have been performed in earlier years by other corps. It's pretty much a DCI rule that a corps must play "West Side Story" at some point in their life (Carolina Crown, 2008, 2009).

And now it's suddenly an issue?

I don't think we're on the same page. I don't take issue with corps playing tunes that other corps have played (generally speaking). I'm just arguing that if a corps can avoid it, they should try to (regardless of finalist, non-finalist, top six). Especially if it's not pretty clear that tune is an obvious choice for the theme (and especially if it was recently linked to a really strong performance). For me, the title alone doesn't make it an obvious choice. In fact, it seems even a little naive to include a tune based on title alone.

And I've thought about this for a number of years - for me, it's not suddenly an issue. I just happened to make the point in this thread. Clearly, I discussed an example from 2012.

As for the Crown tunes that you mention:

- Crown Imperial fit the mood (but also note that "Crown Imperial" isn't in the title "Postcards from Britain")

- Bohemian Rhapsody is a well-known tune (recall my Coldplay argument)

- Mahler's 2nd fit the mood that was being created during that section of the show

- I don't have an opinion on Interstellar Suite, as I don't know the original

When Troop posted the 30 sec snippet of the piece, many remarks were about the copying of Crown. "Looks like Crown had a cute little baby corps" "Copying Crown. really?", etc

Crown announced they were playing Ecstasy of Gold this year.

Irony is so... ironic.

It was lost on those making the comparison.

• Like 2

If Crown had played more of the piece and it had been a big, well received portion of the show I might not still agree but I could start to see the argument.

But like I said, Crown didn't even really use it, they just kinda quoted the beginning of the piece and then moved onto the Devils Bridge. If Troopers are using 2 minutes of the piece like stated above, we will be getting plenty of never before heard on the field stuff.

Edited by DrumManTx