Time to catch up...

I've got some time and plenty of dvd's (thanks to my nephew) and I would like to mine some drum corps gold. For example I've just really gotten into 2010 Phantom and Crown. I'm enjoying it like I never saw it before. What else is out there that I missed? I would like some suggestions and maybe some tips on what to look for. Thanks. (I see I'm a dcp rookie even though I've been involved with or followed the activity for 50 years.)

Edited by gaminb
  • Like 1

As the said nephew, I'm currently focused on 2006.

Cavaliers - Machine

Phantom - Faust

BD - Godfather Part Blue

Bluecoats - Connexus

SCV - Moto Perpetuo

Crown - In.trance.it

Boston - Cathedrals of the Mind

Glassmen - Beethoven: Mastery and Madness

• Like 1

I've got some time and plenty of dvd's (thanks to my nephew) and I would like to mine some drum corps gold. For example I've just really gotten into 2010 Phantom and Crown. I'm enjoying it like I never saw it before. What else is out there that I missed? I would like some suggestions and maybe some tips on what to look for. Thanks. (I see I'm a dcp rookie even though I've been involved with or followed the activity for 50 years.)

I gave you a like. Anyone related to Kevin Gamin is okay in my books!

PS - Check out 2010. Top 5 was pretty incredible. Toss in Madison's comeback and Glassmen's last year in finals and you've got a pretty nice lineup!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

How far back does your collection go? If I'm snowed in, I sometimes like to spend long amounts of time watching drum corps DVD's, as a way of reminding me summer is coming. I also tend to pick years randomly, and watch a few shows on each disc. Some of my favorites:

1974 Anaheim Kingsmen. By the time I saw Kingsmen live in 1977, they were past their glory which faded rather quickly, but in the 1974 on the Legacy DVD you can see what all the fuss was about.

1975 Kilties and 27th, and of course Madison

1976 Blue Devils and the debut of the new an improved, and perhaps most controversial for the time, the Bridgemen.

1979: Phantom, one of their best and two corps of happy memory North Star and Guardsmen (the best year for both)

1980: Cadets (they've made finals each year since, for me it both nods to the old and previews what we'll later see), 27th's best year, Bridgemen's best year, and Spirit's best and most emotional year.

1983 Cadets--need I say more?

1985 Madison, Troopers

1987 SCV, one of the greatest shows of all time and definitely a corps that was robbed, Star of Indiana, yes 1990, 91, and 93 are more iconic, but I love this circus themed show.

1988 Madison and SCV go without saying, but a real gem in this finals is Sky Ryders "Sound of Music," one of the greatest feel good shows of all time.

1989 SWCV and Phantom, both amazing shows.

1990 Phantom: great musical selections, Cavies "All things Bright and Beautiful" is one of my favorite drum corps moments

1991 Star of course

1993: Colts first entry is memorable

1994 Blue Devils "My Spanish Heart" is a great show, and Phantom's "Claire de Lune" is a great show stopper. Sadly the best memory of that show is not on the DVD 27th's "Once More in 94"

1999: BAC makes finals for the first time, Madison's "Jesus Christ, Superstar"

These are just some, but due to time, I'll leave 2000 onward to others.

Edited by Tim K

Since you've been around corps for 50 years, when did you drift away? I was about to throw out a list going back to the 80's but realized you probably already know a lot about many of those years. Where would you like the list to begin?

I'm talking about shows that weren't appreciated at the time. The great shows are obvious but there are personal favorites out there that do something for people that all of us might have caught. Someone commented that Phantom's "Into the Light" did it for them so I started watching it and the more I saw it the more I liked it. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Here's a list of amazing shows, not a gold medal in the bunch.

'88 VK - funny as hell and a surprisingly good hornline

'88 Suncoast - 20 years ahead of it's time

'90 Star - brass brass brass

'91 Blue Devils - amazing contemporary jazz charts

'92 Crossmen - grooooovy percussion

'93 Blue Devils - another amazing jazz chart

'95 Cadets - very fun Americana show

'95 Bluecoats - very emotional Americana show

'00 Boston - old-school show with modern level of execution

'04 Blue Devils - Summer Train Blues Mix

'08 Crown - great take on the "best-of" classical repertoire. Not quite as squeaky clean as their shows since but just a lot of fun

'10 Cavaliers - Mad World, dark, disturbing and beautifully realized concept

'10 Bluecoats - start of their very successful foray into electronics

'11 Carolina Crown - under-appreciated very fun show with a stellar brass line (well, duh)

• Like 1

As the said nephew, I'm currently focused on 2006.

Cavaliers - Machine

Phantom - Faust

BD - Godfather Part Blue

Bluecoats - Connexus

SCV - Moto Perpetuo

Crown - In.trance.it

Boston - Cathedrals of the Mind

Glassmen - Beethoven: Mastery and Madness

In my opinion the best studio recording ever!

...Though Phantom 2010 comes in at a close 2nd

Edited by How_Will_It_End?