Master list of edits on the Blu-Ray/DVD's

Couldn't tell you. Maybe he returned the money. Maybe the language specifies that he can pull his permission at any point. I've only dealt with KISS/Hal Leonard on permissions (don't ask), and on that contract it did say that they reserved the right to deny permission if the arrangement didn't stylistically "fit" the original piece. Or maybe he instructed his publisher to deny sync / mechanical rights after seeing the final show. (Now that I say it, that's probably the most likely - he probably didn't revoke permission to perform (which is different), just to sell videos.)

Mike

Couldn't tell you. Maybe he returned the money. Maybe the language specifies that he can pull his permission at any point. I've only dealt with KISS/Hal Leonard on permissions (don't ask), and on that contract it did say that they reserved the right to deny permission if the arrangement didn't stylistically "fit" the original piece. Or maybe he instructed his publisher to deny sync / mechanical rights after seeing the final show. (Now that I say it, that's probably the most likely - he probably didn't revoke permission to perform (which is different), just to sell videos.)

Mike

That's more likely than anything. Sync rights are very fluid, just look at Madison ESOM. They could perform it, and STILL can perform it if they would like, but sync it, nope.

This is why I think we'll start seeing less and less music of the late 20th century utilized by designers. It's kind of mind-boggling to me how Carolina Crown was able to get Rach Star off the ground with all the legal restrictions.

I think the Coats are kind of blazing a trail in selecting music from independent artists. While I'm sure the artistic vision comes first, the possible ease with which they may secure performance and repro rights can't hurt.

I feel horribly for him too, and one of my first thoughts at the time was I hope they swap out the semis performance for that section. I would hate for that moment to be immortalized.

This was the first Finals I had was ever at, and at the time, I was about the biggest BD fan there was. There was a huge hush in the crowd, as if no one could understand what just happened and everyone was just so stunned.

It was actually a duet, and kudos to the other person of the duet for nailing their part (and the rest of the corps for the accompaniment), even though he/she must have been shocked and really caught off guard.

I saw on here recently that the guy with the "Frack to End All Fracks" in question became a lawyer and ended up in jail for embezzlement or something like that (there was an actual link to the news story and not just rumor).

Ok, so back on topic...it's really the copyright-related edits from the last 10 years I'm interested in. I guess no one has compiled a list so maybe I'll have to comb the archives and research it myself.

This is why I think we'll start seeing less and less music of the late 20th century utilized by designers. It's kind of mind-boggling to me how Carolina Crown was able to get Rach Star off the ground with all the legal restrictions.

I think the Coats are kind of blazing a trail in selecting music from independent artists. While I'm sure the artistic vision comes first, the possible ease with which they may secure performance and repro rights can't hurt.

I suspect that's more of a 'luck' thing than an explicit choice to look for artists who would be more accommodating. Historically it seems as if DCI corps/designers don't care about sync rights for potential DVD/streaming/etc and are 100% focused on "what design element will net us the most points right now." We just need to come to the realization as fans that 1) rights procurement is significantly more difficult than it used to be 2) corps designers don't care about obtaining sync rights because they are more focused on competing vs ancillary media products and 3) enjoy the live shows/streams because that's likely all we'll be getting for awhile.

It is what it is, and we have no say or control over the rights' holders: time to just shrug our shoulders and enjoy what we can I guess

if you actually click on them in the DCI store, they list the edits

from the 2012

*This DVD contains performance edits due to music licensing and permissions that are not available for distribution:
The Cadets: 00:06 of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.
The Cadets: 00:31 of audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been muted.
Spirit of Atlanta: 00:19 of video and audio of unlicensed, pre-recorded material has been removed.

On the DVD, you're missing a good 1-1 1/2 minutes of a very lengthy percussion intro/feature that has all but disappeared from existence. IIRC, quotes like Rihanna's "Hey, hey, I wanna be a rock star" & Queen's "We will rock you" were used with maybe a couple others over top of it, so that's why it was not included.

This is why we can't have nice things guys.