DCI and Leadership

If there is any way you could contact Jeff Prosperie, a DCI Judge and currently stationed at Westpoint as a Hellcat, and seek his advice that communication would likely go a long way in presenting your case to your training officer.

• Like 4

I'm not sure what the Coast Guard Adacemy summer commitment is. I was an NROTC Mid. and completed my Freshman cruise in Norfolk in June and was able to march the rest of the summer with the Troopers in 2000. Granted I was a 3 year vet so I had some negotiation leeway.

Our summers consists of 11 weeks of training, which starts at just around move-in day for most corps, and 3 weeks of leave, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do something like that. That's pretty awesome that you were able to make that work though!

I love drum corps as much as anyone, which is why I can say this:

You're kidding us, right? Comparing the leadership lessons in the hornline of a drum corps to the front lines of of the Coast Guard is trying to make a bassoon sound like a baritone.

Of course you can learn leadership in drum corps. No doubt. You could also learn leadership in State U. marching band. Or at State U. frat house. But so what? You're not investing in a Coast Guard Academy to learn just any leadership lesson. You are invested in the Coast Guard Academy for an enhanced leadership opportunity.

The summer cruise is an integral part of that nautical and leadership education. If you spend a summer in drum corps, what's your fall semester going to be like? Your classmates are going to be talking about interdicting drug shipments, boarding vessels suspected of smuggling terrorist cargoes or saving sailors in storm-tossed rescues. And you're going to be talking about the great job your team did packing the food truck? Drum corps absolutely has lessons to impart on team dynamics. No way can those lessons compare with what comes at sea from conflict and danger.

No offense, but I hope the academy turns you down. Drum corps is great. What you are about to undertake in the Coast Guard is so much greater. Get on that cruise. And thank you for stepping up on behalf of all of us.

HH

My original plan was actually to take a sabbatical for the summer, which basically means I would not be a cadet for the summer, march DCI, return to cadet status in the fall and continue the school year normally and make up the summer training/underway time at a later date. My training officer presented me with the possibility of using DCI as the training itself, but after hearing your comments I definitely will have to think about that more.

Keep in mind also, one would need to be around for some level of training with DCI Corps before the Summer DCI tour as well to be of value to your selected Corps too. As such, You might want to consider a DCA level Corps for the summer as a possible consideration for yourself here, as the lessened time committment is one compelling drawing attraction for those MM's that choose to march and compete in a DCA Corps. That aspect might work a bit better in light of your Military School requirement as part of your School acceptance responsibilities. Typically, the longer one is in the military, the more leverage one tends to have on negotiated time away, and other such negotiated considerations. Then again, an understanding Unit Commander ( in this case, the school ) that values you, and wants you to stay long term can oftentimes make a few concessions to make it all work for both you and the unit.( school ). Keep us posted, hope it works out for you... good luck, and thank you for your decision to potentially serve your country in the Military by attending the Coast Guard Academy at present.

Edited by BRASSO

Interesting idea Brasso.... Looks like about 60 miles between New London and Ansonia, CT......

• Like 1

Keep in mind also, one would need to be around for some level of training with DCI Corps before the Summer DCI tour as well to be of value to your selected Corps too. As such, You might want to consider a DCA level Corps for the summer as a possible consideration for yourself here, as the lessened time committment is one compelling drawing attraction for those MM's that choose to march and compete in a DCA Corps. That aspect might work a bit better in light of your Military unit service requirement as part of your enlistment responsibilities. Typically, the longer one is in the military, the more leverage one tends to have on negotiated time away, and other such negotiated considerations. Then again, an understanding Unit Commander that values you, and wants you to stay long term in his or her unit can oftentimes make a few concessions to make it all wirk for both you and the unit.I

I don't think I will have too big of an issue getting liberty in order to attend the monthly rehearsal camps, and my finals are over before move in day.

I've thought about DCA, but since that summer is the year I would age out of DCI it's my one shot, and if I'm jumping through all the red tape to make it happen I figure go big or go home! And, unfortunately, because of how the summer works, I don't see myself being able to do both regular summer training and DCA, even with the lessened time commitment.

Edited by TheTrombologist
  • Like 3