Out of retirement.. and on to TUBA

Cainan

So... I have finally come out of the wilderness and decided to march again... I've only taken a 23 year break, so not too long away from the game. I am marching 2016 with Kidsgrove Scouts. I played bari in Jr corps but these days I am playing tuba... which brings me to my point....

That ###### horn is the spawn of a demon.

Any advice for a relative newbie to marching contra (tuba) with regards to particular excercises and also how to find the sweet spot on my shoulder for that bad boy to sit?

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 3

So... I have finally come out of the wilderness and decided to march again... I've only taken a 23 year break, so not too long away from the game. I am marching 2016 with Kidsgrove Scouts. I played bari in Jr corps but these days I am playing tuba... which brings me to my point....

Any advice for a relative newbie to marching contra (tuba) with regards to particular excercises and also how to find the sweet spot on my shoulder for that bad boy to sit?

Switch to trumpet...

• Like 1

See if they'll let you push one of these...

Wartuba.jpg

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 2

Listening devices to locate airplanes? Bugging me too Gary as I've seen this before.....

Mike D strikes again.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Looks like something Renegades would use...LOUD IS GOOD! :tounge2:

congrats and... I'm sorry.

What brand do they use? I know they used Jupiter when BAC lent them their trailer/gear.

My experience is mostly Yamaha BBb, though I played on an early 2000s (garbage) King as well. Different manufacturers have different ideals, but there's a clear difference between the ergonomically designed horns (Yamaha, new King/System Blue) and the not-so-ergonomically designed horns (Jupiter).

Regardless: If you're able to take the horn home, do it. Make your home practice routine as similar to your show experience as possible.

The goal is to have the same "look" as the baris and high brass. I've never thought about "resting" the tuba on my shoulder. I try to distribute a reasonable amount of weight to arms (mostly left arm ... similar idea as a baritone). It's about finding your own "sweet spot" and adjusting your lead pipe accordingly.

As far as actual exercises ... pushups, shoulder, and back workouts have always been fine for me (usual disclaimers apply).

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar