Santa Clara Vanguard to March 2017 Rose Parade

Most exciting ... wish the "Macy's Super Corps" would re-appear some year ... quite a hallmark when the "sound" hit Herald Square ...

:-)

Coincidentally, it was announced at the Bands of America championships on Saturday night that the Broken Arrow high school marching band, subject of much discussion in another thread here, had been selected from the 34 Semifinalists to march in 2017 parade also.

I believe that the Super Bowl will be played in Santa Clara. I was wondering if the corps will have any part in those festivities.

I think you'd have to ask the Academy about how they got involved when it was in Arizona. I don't think its out of the question, just need someone to make the right phone calls. Heck, send SCVC out there. Get both of them some exposure.

I think you'd have to ask the Academy about how they got involved when it was in Arizona. I don't think its out of the question, just need someone to make the right phone calls. Heck, send SCVC out there. Get both of them some exposure.

I know during Indy finals this past summer there were a number of SCV meetings (with BoD, alumni from throughout the country, consultants from other corps and venues) as plans develop on how SCV will celebrate its anniversary in 2017,

They have some big plans with announcements coming closer to the dates of 2017, Watch for it.

Maybe they will put out a huge corps like Madison did last year for the Macy's parade? That would be good to see.

Maybe they will put out a huge corps like Madison did last year for the Macy's parade? That would be good to see.

What they previously wrote and posted on DCP:

"SCV will feature nearly 250 members in the parade representing the Vanguard, Vanguard Cadets, their Winter Guard and Winter Percussion Ensembles, and select members of the Vanguard Alumni Corps."

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/?uuid=b962a936-ea2a-4e00-b563-89b80c482d7c

Edited by xandandl

• 3 weeks later...

Should be an exciting time. While I do not have info, I get the sense the organization is looking to step it up a bit this time around versus the 2004 TOR group I participated in both in size (in 2004 we marched 205 +/- split nearly 50/50 between current members and alumni) and quality (no mixed key hornline which was a pain to tune, percussion technique, modern marching style and protocol.) Hopefully the org will reach back to older alums to a certain degree perhaps with the understanding that they will have to "totally get with the program" (really good physical condition, modern equipment, no "old" baggage, etc.) if they want to make the cut. The Macy's Day parade is about 2.5 miles long and mostly flat while the Rose Parade is about 6+ when you add in the W. Del Mar Blvd. hill (aka the 210 Freeway overpass) all the pageantry groups have to climb to get to S. Orange Grove Blvd. where they merge with the floats...not exactly a cake walk. I had a work colleague who was part of a large spectator party on Orange Grove tell me later that we were the only group to stop at that intersection, hurry up/dress up the block then step off and play full out, waking everyone up in the process.

Mahalo!

Edited by TRacer

Coincidentally, it was announced at the Bands of America championships on Saturday night that the Broken Arrow high school marching band, subject of much discussion in another thread here, had been selected from the 34 Semifinalists to march in 2017 parade also.

so excited to see SCV & BOA both participating in the 2017 parade - two first class organizations!