Colts 2016

Exactly. If the Bluecoats just put slides on the field and moved them around everyone would be all over them until they change it as well.

I get what ColtsMaMaZ is saying though! There is definitely a different standard from the upper tier to the second tier corps. Let's use Blue Knights as an example. They aren't finished with their show and there should be penalties for that. Whether they are doing something great, you should not be able to be judged accordingly until the entire show is complete. If a lower tier corp put out a 9 or 10 minute show, people would be all over them for not having their show done in time. Instead, the talk about Blue Knights is, "Wow! What they are doing is so great and wait to see what will happen when they are finished!"

As far as props go, I know for a fact that they aren't being used to their full potential yet, but just like every other corps, they will be adding things as the season goes along and they have to get used to using them and moving them before they get used to their full potential. Boston opened last year without any of their banners on their stands and nothing was really said about those besides the fact that they would be adding to them as the season went along.

All I took it from what she was saying is that before bashing them and telling them they look terrible, give it a little time and I'm sure by the time we hit the first regional, they will be utilized more. Maybe the Blue Stars girl in the lampshade outfit will also start doing something besides walking around the field by then too, or the Cadets guard member acting as a statue will move more than twice during the show. All corps have work to do and let's wait to see what happens.

• Like 1

I get what ColtsMaMaZ is saying though! There is definitely a different standard from the upper tier to the second tier corps. Let's use Blue Knights as an example. They aren't finished with their show and there should be penalties for that. Whether they are doing something great, you should not be able to be judged accordingly until the entire show is complete. If a lower tier corp put out a 9 or 10 minute show, people would be all over them for not having their show done in time. Instead, the talk about Blue Knights is, "Wow! What they are doing is so great and wait to see what will happen when they are finished!"

As far as props go, I know for a fact that they aren't being used to their full potential yet, but just like every other corps, they will be adding things as the season goes along and they have to get used to using them and moving them before they get used to their full potential. Boston opened last year without any of their banners on their stands and nothing was really said about those besides the fact that they would be adding to them as the season went along.

All I took it from what she was saying is that before bashing them and telling them they look terrible, give it a little time and I'm sure by the time we hit the first regional, they will be utilized more. Maybe the Blue Stars girl in the lampshade outfit will also start doing something besides walking around the field by then too, or the Cadets guard member acting as a statue will move more than twice during the show. All corps have work to do and let's wait to see what happens.

1st Paragraph- Maybe a double standard but I do not hold one. If a top core came out with an incomplete show I wouldn't bat an eye at it as long as it is complete in a reasonable time.

2nd Paragraph- And I had a problem with Boston's stands until they added them. I even told someone that they should have not put them on the field until they are ready to be used.

3rd Paragraph- I never "bashed them" or said "they look terrible." All I said was "I agree that they either need to be used more or taken out." Of course all corps have work to do... The difference is that the colts are not even using their props at all compared to the space they take up on the field.

1st Paragraph- Maybe a double standard but I do not hold one. If a top core came out with an incomplete show I wouldn't bat an eye at it as long as it is complete in a reasonable time.

2nd Paragraph- And I had a problem with Boston's stands until they added them. I even told someone that they should have not put them on the field until they are ready to be used.

3rd Paragraph- I never "bashed them" or said "they look terrible." All I said was "I agree that they either need to be used more or taken out." Of course all corps have work to do... The difference is that the colts are not even using their props at all compared to the space they take up on the field.

Definitely not saying you are saying there is a double standard but I have been a part of this activity for 40 years and there definitely is one and I get where MaMa was coming from. I'm glad you are seeing some of the same things like the Boston reference from last year. As far as the boxes go for the Colts, they did use them in the first piece on Saturday night in Whitewater. They were lit with different colors and there were color guard members in there in different poses. I'm sure there will be more to come, but I think the main thing with them right now is getting used to having them on the field and wheeling them around to the right places until the choreography can be added!

Definitely not saying you are saying there is a double standard but I have been a part of this activity for 40 years and there definitely is one and I get where MaMa was coming from. I'm glad you are seeing some of the same things like the Boston reference from last year. As far as the boxes go for the Colts, they did use them in the first piece on Saturday night in Whitewater. They were lit with different colors and there were color guard members in there in different poses. I'm sure there will be more to come, but I think the main thing with them right now is getting used to having them on the field and wheeling them around to the right places until the choreography can be added!

Me and Mama were talking back and forth for a little bit so when you chimed in it sounded directed at me. I agree, there is definitely a double standard by some people.

I hope those boxes get good use come regional time :)

• Like 1

Me and Mama were talking back and forth for a little bit so when you chimed in it sounded directed at me. I agree, there is definitely a double standard by some people.

I hope those boxes get good use come regional time :)

Hey Everyone! I love a spirited conversation, but I never meant to point fingers. My post was more of a personal rant...I should have ended it with "Whew! I feel better now!". Let's face it, we are all on the same side...wanting the kids to have a tough, educational, character-building, meaningful, fantastic experience! And while my heart says "Go Red Team!", I am also keenly aware that every kid is doing this for their corps, their staff, themselves...and us, the fans.

• Like 2

After days of reading 2/3 of DCP users aren't happy BK isn't done. That is a fact from the poll and I'm sure BRASSO will chime in if you dont believe it :)
  • Like 1

Get rid of those props and I'm 100% sold. What a big surprise. Musically, phenomenal job arranging wise, and the brass continues to grow. I just think the props are not worth the space they take up, and they are not very aesthetically appealing. The huge white front is screaming LOOK AT ME! the whole time, and nothing is on them 90% of the time. Maybe a cover over them until they are used or something? Drill doesn't really interact with them at all. Maybe they have more planned. But other than that, huge thumbs up.

I saw the Colts in Muncie last night and came away very impressed. I don't believe I've heard a Colts hornline sound this nice and full this early in the season ever. If they have ever had a hornline ramped up like this so early in the season before, they were using G bugles when they did it.

The brass arrangements impressed me also. If they can make those boxes work somehow, great. If they can clean the visual stuff.... mature the drum line...... if, if, if.

I really like this show (and have liked the Colts going back 25 years and more now) and hope that they are laying the foundation for another finals run down the road. To the casual observer the 1993 Colts came out of nowhere like a bolt of lightning and made that huge 9-spot leap into finals with a smallish, not quite full corps. That's a good narrative but the fact is that the corps administration and creative staff had been working to lay a foundation for where such a leap might have been possible for two or three seasons before it happened.

• Like 1