Pioneer 2016

• 6 months later...

Ok, a couple of shows in and I'm officially worried. Pio is currently 10 points behind the nearest WC corps, and got beat by both Genesis and Midwest Legends. What's going on with them? Anyone who's seen the show - small numbers, members still settling in - what's up?

Mike

• Like 1

Ok, a couple of shows in and I'm officially worried. Pio is currently 10 points behind the nearest WC corps, and got beat by both Genesis and Midwest Legends. What's going on with them? Anyone who's seen the show - small numbers, members still settling in - what's up?

Mike

Just my opinion on one viewing: Last year I thought they took a big step forward. This year, numbers down, show not quite compete(?) and darker -- a step back. Pioneer should not be dark this stage of their development, IMO. And a book that is harder than the talent.

Roman needs to retire.

Mike

If you look at where these same corps left off in 2015, Pioneer is in the same relative position.

Mike

I saw them

Numbers, full drumline about 25 horns and oh, I’m going to mess this up but about 15 guard?

Their show didn’t seem like it was complete, they burned Joan at the stake and it ended. And the stake burning, high marks for traditional earned GE, the flag flames were very effective (without being flames). Seems like they need some sort of closer on the field

Looks like they had several hole in the brass.

After Genesis, what I noticed was World Class going on after Open Class. Pioneer marched and played better, all the way around. Genesis must have the breaks on their horn line big time as they try to clean up the sound. Marcher to Marcher, Pioneer was clearly better but Genesis is big and big according to the clearly stunted judging because you know, we can't see the recap (yes, this will be my dead horse) in DCI means more GE

I saw them

Their show didn’t seem like it was complete, they burned Joan at the stake and it ended. And the stake burning, high marks for traditional earned GE, the flag flames were very effective (without being flames). Seems like they need some sort of closer on the field

I agree, the show felt truncated. I am guessing there is more to be added.

I agree, the show felt truncated. I am guessing there is more to be added.

They still need to add the ending. The Firebird is listed in their rep so I assume that's it.

I sincerely think this could be a good show. The vocalist is top notch.

IMO it's the best, most demanding product they've put on the field in at least 15 years. Maybe not the best performed yet but the bones are there.

How can you go wrong with Adagio for Strings? One of my favorite works of all time. I look forward to Pioneer's show!

• Like 1