1971 NYS AL Championship

If my memory is correct, it was held in Rochester (as all great drum corps contests are held there) at Aquinas Stadium. St. Joe's, Magnificent Yankees, Purple Lancers, Greece Cadets, Lakeview Shoreliners, Black Knights, Gauchos, Tri Town Cadets, Grenadiers, Mello Dears, Royal Coachmen, Mark Twain Cadets, Squires, and I am sure more that don't remember right now.

I remember only one moment and that was where I made a mistake in a squad move because there was a judge in front of me. I was 10 or 11 at the time.

Anyone else there and remember?

From Corpsreps ... maybe it was another show you're thinking of ...

Saturday July 17, 1971 Unknown NY NY Legion State American Legion Position Corps Score 1 St. Joseph's of Batavia 80.450 2 Magnificent Yankees 79.200 3 Purple Lancers 73.800 4 Marauders 71.400 5 Appleknockers 69.500 6 Mello-Dears 68.100 7 OLPH Ridgemen 65.100 8 Mark Twain Cadets 62.350

The July 17, 1971 NY American Legion prelims scores (Rochester)

St. Joe--81.85

Mag Yankees--77.2

Marauders--704

Appleknockers--69.5

Purple Lancers--68.15

Mello-Dears--66.2

OLPH Ridgemen--61.65

Mark Twain--61.00

Shoreliners--59.8

Grenadiers--55.45

Speigleaires==55.2

Tri Town--53.9

Royal Coachmen--46.8

Greece Cadets--38.6

Oceanside Legionnaires--32.75

Blue Hornets--18.2

That was the show. I remember staying at the U of R in the dorms.

I don't ever remember Oceanside and Blue Hornets. Guess they were from downstate LOL. Funny, I thought I knew all the NY corps LOL

By this time both the Legionnaires of Oceanside LI, and the Blue Hornets from Lindenhurst, were past their peaks and essentially parade corps. They must have cobbled together some sort of drill just to qualify for the field show and represent their respective posts.

There were notable individuals connected to both. Oceanside produced Sunriser soloists John "Cookie" Kamerdin ("American in Paris") and Ray Fallon ("Sing, Sing, Sing"...etc). Ray, of course, went on to arrange for numerous DCA and DCI groups.

The Blue Hornets were taught by Bill and Lil Lindy, both fine horn players and educators. She was the first female bugler in the history of senior corps when she marched with and taught the Sunrisers in the late '50s.

Smaller corps always seemed to produce extraordinary players, like Glenn Fischtal of the Appalachian Grenadiers, who went on to become principal trumpet with the San Francisco Symphony. Hearing him play the Brandenburg Concerto was worth the price of the season subscription.

I'm pretty certain he was on the field that day in '71.

• Like 1

By this time both the Legionnaires of Oceanside LI, and the Blue Hornets from Lindenhurst, were past their peaks and essentially parade corps. They must have cobbled together some sort of drill just to qualify for the field show and represent their respective posts.

There were notable individuals connected to both. Oceanside produced Sunriser soloists John "Cookie" Kamerdin ("American in Paris") and Ray Fallon ("Sing, Sing, Sing"...etc). Ray, of course, went on to arrange for numerous DCA and DCI groups.

The Blue Hornets were taught by Bill and Lil Lindy, both fine horn players and educators. She was the first female bugler in the history of senior corps when she marched with and taught the Sunrisers in the late '50s.

Smaller corps always seemed to produce extraordinary players, like Glenn Fischtal of the Appalachian Grenadiers, who went on to become principal trumpet with the San Francisco Symphony. Hearing him play the Brandenburg Concerto was worth the price of the season subscription.

I think that Oceanside also produced drummer extraordinaire, Jack Murray too.

• Like 1

On a player-for-player basis, that corps, in the early to mid-1970s, had one of the best horn lines I've ever heard. Played some killer charts, too. Really high-rent stuff for a local-circuit corps.