Hard Corps reality show topics - make your pitch!

Let's play around with this. What areas will the producers be manipulating, er ... mining... for drama? :biggrin: What are the pitches?

THE COMPETITION. :fight:

They are going to have to feed on speculation until they meet. But when they meet, they spend almost the entire last 2 weeks of July head-to-head. (Schedule may not be entirely accurate. I did this very quickly)

July 12th - Dekalb TOC

July 18th - Warrensburg TOC

July 22nd - Houston TOC

July 23rd - San Antonio REGIONAL

July 25th - Dallas

July 27th - Hattiesburg

July 29th - Nashville TOC

July 30th - Atlanta REGIONAL

July 31st - Winston Salem TOC

Aug 2nd - Annapolis

Aug 5th - Buffalo TOC

Aug 11th ~ 13th - Indianapolis

LOVE! :inlove: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour together! Oh the drama!

LOVE across distance! :inlove: :unsure: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour with different corps! Oh the unkown and the drama!

LOVE across enemy lines! :inlove: :mad: :wub: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour with the enemy! Specifically BD/Cadets!

Staff across enemy lines! This could be tough. Not a lot of crossover between BD and Cadets staff as there is with some other corps. Is there any? Also eligible "this staff marched BD/Cadets but teaches Cadets/BD!"

FAMILIA! :grouphug: I march with my bro, sis, etc. Even better ... I march BD/Cadets but my bro, sis etc marches Cadets/BD! :big hug: :mat: My mom, dad, grandparents marched here. My mom, dad, grandparents MARCHED WITH THE ENEMY!

INTRA-CORPS ADVERSITY

• Practice is so hard!
  • Little-to-no quality sleep!
  • Weather is bad! (Heat is a given. Days of rain or drought?)
  • Sparse or unappetizing food! (good luck getting the corps to play along with this one)
  • I've been injured!
  • Member has problems at home!
  • Member is here against the odds!
  • How do we fill these holes?

Add your pitch for show "drama" topics! Check back later and see what we get right and wrong!

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

I'm SO excited for this!

I'm curious to see how the minimum of clothing will be handled... I'm a little wary that young men and women in rehearsal will be broadcasted in their skivvies for all to see. I know there's worse on TV, but, uh, there sure is a ton of skin on display in drum corps rehearsals.

Personalities

• Dynamic and controversial leader George Hopkins
  • World renown percussionist and educator Scott Johnson

I'm SO excited for this!

I'm curious to see how the minimum of clothing will be handled... I'm a little wary that young men and women in rehearsal will be broadcasted in their skivvies for all to see. I know there's worse on TV, but, uh, there sure is a ton of skin on display in drum corps rehearsals.

I suspect both corps are used to open rehearsal/clinic protocols where shorts & shirts are required for various reasons. The film crews won't be with the corps 24/7 will they? I can't imagine it will be that huge of a deal

what happens when the judges disagree with the perceived greatness of the programs?

• Like 1

Let's play around with this. What areas will the producers be manipulating, er ... mining... for drama? :biggrin: What are the pitches?
THE COMPETITION. :fight:
They are going to have to feed on speculation until they meet. But when they meet, they spend almost the entire last 2 weeks of July head-to-head. (Schedule may not be entirely accurate. I did this very quickly)
July 12th - Dekalb TOC
July 18th - Warrensburg TOC
July 22nd - Houston TOC
July 23rd - San Antonio REGIONAL
July 25th - Dallas
July 27th - Hattiesburg
July 29th - Nashville TOC
July 30th - Atlanta REGIONAL
July 31st - Winston Salem TOC
Aug 2nd - Annapolis
Aug 5th - Buffalo TOC
Aug 11th ~ 13th - Indianapolis
LOVE! :inlove: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour together! Oh the drama!
LOVE across distance! :inlove: :unsure: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour with different corps! Oh the unkown and the drama!
LOVE across enemy lines! :inlove: :mad: :wub: Boyfriends/girlfriends that tour with the enemy! Specifically BD/Cadets!
Staff across enemy lines! This could be tough. Not a lot of crossover between BD and Cadets staff as there is with some other corps. Is there any? Also eligible "this staff marched BD/Cadets but teaches Cadets/BD!"
FAMILIA! :grouphug: I march with my bro, sis, etc. Even better ... I march BD/Cadets but my bro, sis etc marches Cadets/BD! :big hug: :mat: My mom, dad, grandparents marched here. My mom, dad, grandparents MARCHED WITH THE ENEMY!
INTRA-CORPS ADVERSITY
  • Practice is so hard!
  • Little-to-no quality sleep!
  • Weather is bad! (Heat is a given. Days of rain or drought?)
  • Sparse or unappetizing food! (good luck getting the corps to play along with this one)
  • I've been injured!
  • Member has problems at home!
  • Member is here against the odds!
  • How do we fill these holes?
Add your pitch for show "drama" topics! Check back later and see what we get right and wrong!

Per staff.

Well let's see.

Cadets' present brass supervisor for almost fifteen years, Gino Cipriani was on BD brass staff from 1990-1999 and won a few Otts there plus at Cadets as did Steve Bentley, trumpet supervisor at modern Cadets.. Professor Bentley continues to do some clinics and European sessions in recent years for the Concord organization. Gary Bratten who passed away not that long ago also shared BD and Cadets histories having spent time with each among other corps.

Visually, the grandfather of BD style is Pete Emmons who wrote Garfield Cadets' drill back in the 70's. Much more recently, Jarod alternated years teching BD and Cadets before retiring to Texas. Along BD history, John Oppedisano, former 27th Lancer DM, then was a drill tech under George Zingali's early years with the Cadets before he headed west to Blue Devils where he can still be seen up high in the stands next to the box making notes and comments for later revisions. Again someone who died way to early, Paul Pannicaro (msp.?). left New Orleans to march Cadets for several seasons. After aging out he taught several DCI corps including teching at Cadets before heading West, teaching BD for a number of seasons. He was still there with BD when hie became ill. leaving a wife and children who called the West coast home.

Percussion and color guard wise, almost all Cadets' West Coast history has been its shared in personalities with Santa Clara. Apologies if I have left other major players out or if I just did not know all the Cadet techs who marched elsewhere, especially during the 90's when I was out of the US doing my doctoral research.. I know of at least one Cadet alum who has been serving awhile on BD's BoD.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Seeing how I used to ride with the drum truck BITD....

Getting all that #### on and off the trucks.....

Run thrus of getting all the pit "stuff" RV'ed to the field, set up and torn down within a certain time limit.....

How about a talk with corps management on how much it costs and how they get the $$$$ to pay for all this.... should be jaw dropping....

Did anyone see the reality show for Cirques du Soleil a few years back? It followed a small group of people from the audition process through making it or bing cut through rehearsals to the show.. it was actually quite compelling... I'm wondering if it will be similar.

Edited by frachel