Hard Corps reality show topics - make your pitch!

what's the over/under projection on 'longest uninterrupted music sequence during the run of the series' ?

rights issues aside (different can of worms), and of course it matters on the approachability of the music, but how much Marching Music will a reality show give airtime to?

if the show were made for the initiated, every ep would be 1/4 to 1/3 performance, I imagine. But that's not the wide audience.

I'm not familiar with reality tv procedure, but I would be incredibly put off if I were to watch a show which had a conceit of people Preparing for something but never actually showed the final product. But how many of the people tuning in for the Drama and the Story would want a 12min show? ideally, after investing in the series, hopefully many. that is the best outcome.

but my initial speculation is 2m55s of pure performance content at one time is going to be the ceiling.

maybe they finale gives us the two full shows, just kind of broken up...Corps A opener, some character stuff, Corps A ballad, dramadramadrama, Corps A Drum feature, etc. etc. That way most of the two shows gets aired.

But i'll be pleasantly surprised if a reality tv show say 'here you go, 12minutes of uninterrupted marching music.'

There is no WAY they're going to show a full performance; a 30 minute program has about 20 minutes worth of programming, period, so Fuse is not going to take an entire episode to show full performance.

That being said, the description of the show definitely seems to be setting up the competitive nature of the activity, so if that's the case once the season (TV show season) hits summer performances I would think they'd show some show snippets. I can't imagine it would be more than a few seconds here & there (i.e. not the full uninterrupted opener).

The real questions, IMO:

* if this TV show will sway Cadets & BD to do music that is readily available rights-wise; of even would that cost be absorbed by Fuse for the purpose of their show?

* how much, if any, creative control with BD & Cadets have with producers on what goes on air? Will producers be understanding if something happens that might seemingly embarrass the organization/members & not air if Hop or Gibbs plead their case, or will producers look for that kind of thing?

* how much stuff will be staged for cameras? I know several folks who work in reality TV programming and I've heard stories on how content is...helped...by producers: not necessarily scripted (though that also exists), but multiple takes with producers asking for specific dialogue or reaction (I guess that is scripted), edited to formulate specific storylines and thus 'forcing' people into specific 'roles,' etc.

Regardless, this is exciting; I wonder how long the lead-time is until this starts to air

* EDIT *

changed to 20 minutes of programming per 30 minutes of airtime, as I'm pretty sure that is more correct than 14 minutes of programming per 30 minutes of airtime. Dunno why I typed that: wasn't thinking

Edited by perc2100

Tell me the judges will not be swayed in any way.

I won't tell you that. They might be, they might not be.

I will tell you that one way the judges could sway is in the opposite direction: if a judge is among the many people who dislike reality shows, that might subconsciously lead her to a slight bias against Cadets or BD. Or if a judge is a among the many people who like reality shows, fear of appearing biased might lead him to rate BD or Cadets more harshly than he otherwise would.

What's the over/under projection on 'longest uninterrupted music sequence during the run of the series'?

. . .

but my initial speculation is 2m55s of pure performance content at one time is going to be the ceiling.

Several months ago, garfield was pondering whether, in order to secure commercial support, DCI would agree to shorten the shows. Interesting that we now have a chance to see. What's the longest time allowed for performances on American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, etc.? Or for that matter, Glee?

There is no WAY they're going to show a full performance; a 30 minute program has about 14 minutes worth of programming, period, so Fuse is not going to take an entire episode to show full performance.

Wow, I had no idea it was that short nowadays. I remember a figure of eight minutes of commercials per half-hour show being used when I was a kid (in the late 1980s), and haven't bothered to check that figure since.

any word at all if it's a 30min or 60min show? shows similar to this one, how long are they?

my limited experience with competition shows leads me to think 3min is about as long as anybody goes. So an hour-long show with 44min of programming, maybe you get two segments from each corps in the finale. gotta have that emotional closer shot when somebody is crying.

heh, I bet the network would give anything for a shot as potent as that 2000 Cadets girl.

* how much stuff will be staged for cameras? I know several folks who work in reality TV programming and I've heard stories on how content is...helped...by producers: not necessarily scripted (though that also exists), but multiple takes with producers asking for specific dialogue or reaction (I guess that is scripted), edited to formulate specific storylines and thus 'forcing' people into specific 'roles,' etc.

And at what point does all that restaging and reshooting start to cut down the corps' rehearsal time?

Look, even House Hunters is staged. the buyers are already under contract to the house they end up choosing when they "go shopping".

So who knows.

Yep. There was a short-lived Fox spinoff of PBS's Antiques Roadshow called Buried Treasure, in which two of the Roadshow experts (the Keno brothers) traveled to people's homes to appraise their odds and ends. A friend of mine was featured on one episode. As presented on the air, the hosts visited the home, looked over all their stuff, picked out a couple items for further review, and took those items with them back to their headquarters for evaluation, including even the study of one item in the "lab". Then they returned to the home a few weeks later with the judgement.

In reality, a producer visited the house months earlier and took many photos of the likelier items. Doubtless this happened to dozens or scores of people across the country. Based on the photographs, the experts decided in advance which were the items of value (or in a few cases, fairly interesting fakes), and the producers thus chose the homes that would be featured on the show. The hosts made just one visit to my friend's home, and the "lab" was just a mock-up (backdrop and a few props) that they set up in his garage.

Regardless, good news for my friend's family, as it turned out something they bought very cheap was valuable enough to make a significant dent in their kids' college tuition.

Maybe this show will reveal the truth about "slotting"! :tounge2:

Some of these make me laugh. I wish this wasn't so associated with reality TV as much as a documentary to show what actually happens. There is really no controversy suitable for reality TV. Why does one have to exist or be fabricated? Why can't this exist on it's own merits? The world is scary enough besides having to produce something that does not exist.

This post seemed naive but in an adorable sense.

Worse yet, what if neither finishes in the top 2 or three? What does that do to the direction of the series?

While the producers would love a champion, I'm sure they would easily play up the adversity and emotions of the above scenario.