A "Reset" Year For Rights

Brace yourselves... The Jannnnnual is coming.

So, while I proposed earlier some rules related to rights acquisition, I thought I'd just say this out loud and see if this would be tolerated by the DCP pitchfork mob...

(Cue John Lennon)

Imagine... 2016 - No copyrights at all.

Imagine a rule or two

Imagine a whole year of Fair Use

And no sync rights too

Imagine all the people, streaming through the world oooo...

OK OK, sorry. I got carried away, and The Beatles are probably the worst/most ironic example. Here's the thought, be it 2016 or even 2017 if it's too late... Pass a one-season only rule where all music played has to be rights-free. Why?

Here's why:

#1 - It gives a clean break, and a year to work on things without adding to the pile.

#2 - It will provide a level of restraint that the music industry may note with a slight interest.

#3 - It will show everyone that DCI is very serious about the problems.

#4 - It would allow shows to be archived and made available on-demand.

#5 - It will allow an internal discussion as to whether DCI can live without rights, or how they impact the bottom line.

Again, I'm not saying anything permanent. I'm not even suggesting that it become permanent, because there's a lot of reason to use copyrighted material. But reason #1 is the biggest one... by selecting a year where there are zero rights issues, it allows the administration of rights to get "caught up", and allows DCI to quickly evaluate what's worthwhile, and what's the kind of pieces to avoid altogether.

Unless anyone knows of a compelling reason to not do this one year, I'd love to hear it.

Also, you could piggy-back this with another idea a "comrade" had... in the year following, ask the corps to stick to a "classics" year (or a corps' "best of"), where they play tunes they've already played in their history -- specifically, ones that DCI is sure they have the rights for, and have a history of success with. This would ease everyone back into playing properly with copyright with less hassle, and then allowing for two solid years of policy-sharpening and offering the fans a unique opportunity to look forward to what corps can do with these temporary concepts.

If nothing else comes out of the Janual, I would imagine this would reset the dialogue and help the organization get back in a good position. Now, anyone know who can propose this?? :)

• Like 5

Compiling a resume for the position of Secretary General of The United Nations, are we?? :silly:

Very interesting concepts and ideas...not to mention very well-written and (at least I feel, for one) worthy of discussion. My hat's off to you, Drumcat.

I actually really like this idea, but I am sure corps staff and directors probably won't. To add to the many positives, that means that any profits generated from thefannetwork would go straight to DCI and the corps, instead of to the publishing companies. The sales of the DVD and CD merchandise would also be going to DCI and the corps, and not so much to the publishing companies for rights. And the lack of headaches for the year, with CD rights, DVD rights, sync rights, streaming rights, merchandise rights and whatever else has to be applied for would be great for the activity.
And the best thing is with the extra funds generated over the course of the year by not having to pay those huge fees,, It may allow DCI the extra funds in the future to pay the extra rights for on-demand streaming again in the future.

The only negative would be corps directors who already have future music picked out may not be able to use it. And some staffs probably wouldn't want to be limited to only selected music. But on the flip side of that argument, some of the music they would have chosen they may not have been able to get the rights to anyway.

I really doubt they would ever try this, but to be honest, I think it would be interesting and possibly a very wise financial decision.

Would there be enough quality drum corps composers to fill the field? Arranging and composing are two different beasts.

Would there be enough quality drum corps composers to fill the field? Arranging and composing are two different beasts.

It wouldn't all have to be new compositions, would it? There's tons of material in the public domain. Pretty much everything written before 1923, I think.

It wouldn't all have to be new compositions, would it? There's tons of material in the public domain. Pretty much everything written before 1923, I think.

True. A season filled with music 100+ years old would be ... interesting.

• Like 1

Fixed that for you. (I kid! I kid!) :ninja:

Mike

Watch out, Mike.

You're just giving GH more fodder to introduce woodwinds again at Rules Congress.

It's part of the roots, ya know?*

*MikeD is pictured third row on the left. :tounge2:

HolyNameCadets_corpsphoto_1936.jpg

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

i have heard even public domain has some attachments to it periodically....so it could still be an issue