Stanford Band at it again...

Eh I think people are making too big of a deal about it. Gotta have fun sometimes. Military style bands can get boring.

I think of drum corps as a serious affair while college marching bands to be more of a fun thing.

A fun thing, perhaps. But the whole we're-smarter-and-hipper-than-you-and-everybody-knows-it-so-it's-OK-for-us-to-act-like-snarky-a**holes act is tiring - puerile and low budget. Seth Macfarlane, anyone? Ugh, none for me, thanks.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 2

. During finale one year, DCI's championships show director went out on the field and yanked away VK's beach chairs, to crowd boos.

1984....VK's first time in finals. Those of us in the field for retreat were upset at it as well.

• Like 1

I suppose if your not a college football fan you probably didn't hear about this yesterday, but the Stanford Band, who has a history of poor taste shows did it again yesterday to IOWA, which I am a big fan of. The Band Director should be fired for this. What a classless act. Glad the BIG10 College bands have respect.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/stanford-cardinal-band-road-game-ban-travel

Hilarious. I love the Stanford band.

the Stanford Band, who has a history of poor taste shows

What do you mean by " poor taste " ? ( this is of course a subjective, personal observation, and we all get this ). But I was wondering what shows have they done of late that you believe was in " poor taste ". ? In my view, their shows themes do heavily relie on camp, satire, unconventional approaches, etc to Marching Music on a football field. I see them as similar in their unconventional comedic style to that of the 70's- 90's Velvet Knights of DCI. Perhaps on occasion, the Stanford Band has delved into controversy. ( but what Corps havn't on occasion in DCI ? ) Lord Knows the Stanford Marching Band have their critics in their approach to less than serious marching band exhibitions on football fields, and I don't personally enjoy their unconventional style. But this Band's style does have its national admirers, and lots of people seem to like and enjoy their campy style. But you lost me that their shows themes and its depictions on the field over the years has been in " poor taste " in your opinion. So would you provide us with some examples of shows they have done that are, or were, in " poor taste ", so that we know what you are referring to on this ?Thanks Highwaydude.

Edited by BRASSO

Lighten up, Francis. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Edited by DAvery
  • Like 1

Consider the fact that the Stanford Band has played in 3 of the past 4 Rose Bowl Parades. They bewilder TV announcers every time.

Well, if we are honest about it, how much does it really take to " bewilder " most of the airheads that are hired as TV announcers to do parade coverage ?. Its bewildering to many viewers how most of 'em ever made it thru college, let alone Band.

Edited by BRASSO

What do you mean by " poor taste " ? ( this is of course a subjective, personal observation, and we all get this ). But I was wondering what shows have they done of late that you believe was in " poor taste ". ? In my view, their shows themes do heavily relie on camp, satire, unconventional approaches, etc to Marching Music on a football field. I see them as similar in their unconventional comedic style to that of the 70's- 90's Velvet Knights of DCI. Perhaps on occasion, the Stanford Band has delved into controversy. ( but what Corps havn't on occasion in DCI ? ) Lord Knows the Stanford Marching Band have their critics in their approach to less than serious marching band exhibitions on football fields, and I don't personally enjoy their unconventional style. But this Band's style does have its national admirers, and lots of people seem to like and enjoy their campy style. But you lost me that their shows themes and its depictions on the field over the years has been in " poor taste " in your opinion. So would you provide us with some examples of shows they have done that are, or were, in " poor taste ", so that we know what you are referring to on this ?Thanks Highwaydude.

And what do you mean by "national admirers" and "lots of people seem to like and enjoy their campy style"? What people? Ex-Stanford band members?

Look, if you're a student at Stanford, you've already won the lottery. You're the cream of the crop, the elite. So why the university allows this infantile behavior to continue is beyond me. It's not campy, it's not satire. Those things would require some creativity. No, a performance like this is something a middle schooler would come up with. There's not creativity to it, it's gutter immaturity on a national stage, by a bunch of elite little children who know they are better than you, and will be your boss someday. They are arrogant fools. And ESPN saw it coming and cut them off. That was the best part.

• Like 4