Stanford Band at it again...

...and as I stated above, " I do not particularly care for their style" of schtick. So I did not state that I liked them nor that I find them all that " entertaining" either. I don't think they are all that " entertaining ". At all. And never said so above either. But they sure are a lighting rod in the marching band circles, where a lot of people either love their schtick or hate their schtick. I do find their approach to marching band campy to say the least. But " entertaining " ? Nah, not as " entertaining " anyway as watching so many of their detractors get all bent out of shape and so ANGRY with their brand of University Marching Band. That overeaction does seem funny to me that they are able to successfully get such a rise out of some people on their campy and unserious approach to marching up and down football fields and on city streets and tooting on horns, and banging on drums in parade and football game half time exhibitions primarily meant to be filled with joy and frivolity in the first place, imo. And lets not forget that some of the more " serious " university marching bands have been burdened by all sorts of bad things their members and Band Directors have been engaged in. I assume most here have read these stories and police blotters on more than a few of these more stylish and handsome looking " serious " University Marching Bands. So sometimes the hypocrisy itself can bring a chuckle to those paying attention.

Fair enough, can't say I disagree.

Fred O.

I never said it was or wasn't (tasteless). My primary points were:

1) For one to either say or infer that all those of the "farmer" community were offended is not correct, if I am to judge the reactions of my own "farmer" friends. (And though they most certainly don't speak for every agriculturally-based citizen in this country, I would find it very odd that they are also exclusively alone in their views on the matter).

2) I find it rather hypocritical for a sports-related division of a national media outlet to point out the message/behavior of a particular marching band, given the antics that we all see on a daily basis coming from those in the athletic world. Physician, heal thyself.

(Edited because I apparently can't spell for crap. :rolleyes: Obviously I, for one, am certainly not "Stanford material." )

#1 Likewise, I never pretended to speak for any contingent of the "farmer" community, or anyone but myself. To anyone, agriculturally inclined or otherwise, who enjoys it, go ahead on, by all means. But I'll pass. None for me, thanks.

#2 Can't say I disagree on your second point. The taunting, trash talking and childish showboating engaged in by athletes, whether professional or scholastic, is completely distasteful to me.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

I've seen countless marching band halftime routines on television over the decades, and I'll say this for Stanford...They're memorable.

• Like 1

Controversy incites news. Watched KTLA broadcast the other day on internet 'cause my TV ain't got that channel no more lol Here ya go http://ktla.com/2016/01/01/watch-the-2016-rose-parade-live/

It's time to smell the roses! It's time to enjoy good news from a Rose Bowl Parade fan. That'll be me (insert any old smiley here) I googled that'll, giggled hehe and realized our language has changed in our internet world. It's also time to go to the library and read a book before controversy becomes news.

Do the same people that think the Stanford band's antics are disrespectful think the Cavaliers and their jolly rancher games are disrespectful?

just curious.

I can only imagine what Cavalier jolly rancher games are.

• Like 2

I've seen countless marching band halftime routines on television over the decades, and I'll say this for Stanford...They're memorable.

We could pull spectators at random from the stadium, hand them a kazoo, noise maker, etc., and they could blend right in with the Stanford band with minimal rehearsal. Some times, I laugh with that band's satire....too often, I cringe at the chaos.

• Like 1

I for one admire the Stanford band. You don't see to many bands doing what they do. They are so out there, and so original.

Could be worse..... Last(?) year at the Philly Mummers parade some idiot was wearing blackface. Have to know the Mummers history to know how much that made the organizers cringe.

This year one float had the Bruce to Kaitlin(sp) Jenner change. Some thought funny and some thought tasteless (usual Mummer in drag :wacko:) . And organizers worrying about sponsorship money for 2017....

Edited by JimF-LowBari