Stanford Band at it again...

So about the Stanford band...

I will be the first to say I have no "internal" knowledge, but I do know a few things:

goofy, old school, but respectable players.

The main issue is student behavior. From what I've heard second hand, . They've been banned by several airlines,

I'm a stickler for detail accuracy.... so could you be so kind as to cite your source(s) where the Stanford Marching Band " has been banned by several airlines " ? The reason I ask this is because the Airlines, to my current understanding anyway, are not permitted under current FAA Federal Guidelines to do such a US based school group's banning. What alleged multiple airlines took such action ?, when did they do so ?, and is the banning a permanent banning ? I'm just a a bit curious about this Marching Band's Airlines supposed banning from ever boarding any future flights with them, thats all. This has peaked my interest here about this supposed banning by the " several airlines".

Edited by BRASSO

I'm a stickler for detail accuracy.... so could you be so kind as to cite your source(s) where the Stanford Marching Band " has been banned by several airlines " ? The reason I ask this is because the Airlines, to my current understanding anyway, are not permitted under current FAA Federal Guidelines to do such a US based school group's banning. What alleged multiple airlines took such action ?, when did they do so ?, and is the banning a permanent banning ? I'm just a a bit curious about this Marching Band's Airlines supposed banning from ever boarding any future flights with them, thats all. This has peaked my interest here about this supposed banning by the " several airlines".

No problem. Maybe this isn't correct factually, but they have received numerous travel bans. This year, they were banned from road games... http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/stanford-cardinal-band-road-game-ban-travel

They are also barred from Disneyland, and they proudly list lots of other stomach-turning things proudly on their own wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Band#Controversial_actions_by_the_band

These are the antics they're willing to talk about / got caught doing. The long-standing rumor was that the band decided on a flight in the early 80's to all run to one side of a plane, causing some obvious panic. It might have just been a rumor, but USC believed it enough that they tried it in 1984.

So, Stickler 1, Simplicity 0.

No problem. Maybe this isn't correct factually, but they have received numerous travel bans. This year, they were banned from road games... http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/05/15/stanford-cardinal-band-road-game-ban-travel

And so to clarify for accuracy sake, what we are to understand here now is that, the Stanford Marching Band has not been banned by " several airlines " ( as was your original claim above ), but the school itself banned its Marching Band for road games last March after their own internal investigation found behaviors unacceptable and beyond the realm of sheer irreverency that this Marching Band is noted for, and thus the school made the decision to impose its punishment itself on its Marching Band on road games for 1 year. Secondly, you have heard " a rumor " that this school's Marching Band over 30 years ago attempted to cause a panic on an airplane that the Band was on itself. As far as you know, this is only just a " rumor " though. Is this about right ? The reason this " rumor " sounds a bit dubious to me, is because if a group... any group.. attempted to terrorize passengers ( and by extension, crew ) on an airplane into a potential panic mode.. even as a perverted joke..., FAA guidelines would have mandated a thorough investigation, and this incident absolutely would have been made public. Lawsuits against the school by terrorized victims would no doubt have been in the offering too. The incident would be all over the news reports for sure, and as such easily retrievable to all today. But apparently we have no print sources. Thus, my guess, this airplane terror attempt on passengers and crew on the part of this Marching Band from 30+ years ago is urban myth, and this " rumor " you've heard about is probably totally bogus as a result, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

And so to clarify for accuracy sake, what we are to understand here now is that, the Stanford Marching Band has not been banned by " several airlines " ( as was your original claim above ), but the school itself banned its Marching Band for road games last March after their own internal investigation found behaviors unacceptable and beyond the realm of sheer irreverency that this Marching Band is noted for, and thus the school made the decision to impose its punishment itself on its Marching Band on road games for 1 year. Secondly, you have heard " a rumor " that this school's Marching Band over 30 years ago attempted to cause a panic on an airplane that the Band was on itself. As far as you know, this is only just a " rumor " though. Is this about right ? The reason this " rumor " sounds a bit dubious to me, is because if a group... any group.. attempted to terrorize passengers ( and by extension, crew ) on an airplane into a potential panic mode.. even as a perverted joke..., FAA guidelines would have mandated a thorough investigation, and this incident absolutely would have been made public. Lawsuits against the school by terrorized victims would no doubt have been in the offering too. The incident would be all over the news reports for sure, and as such easily retrievable to all today. But apparently we have no print sources. Thus, my guess, this airplane terror attempt on passengers and crew on the part of this Marching Band from 30+ years ago is urban myth, and this " rumor " you've heard about is probably totally bogus as a result, imo.

Whether accurate or not (probably not, really), there are mentions on the web of the band band being banned by at least one airline. Here is one...

"The band is also the craziest band in the world. While other schools' bands march around like Marines, the Stanford band is unruly and usually either drunk or high during games. Their halftime formations have gotten them banned from the State of Oregon by the governor (they formed a chainsaw that sliced through a spotted owl); Their drum major got them banned from Notre Dame (he dressed up like a nun); The drum major again got in trouble for mocking Mormonism (by proposing to all five of the Dollies) in a game against BYU; They played outside the courthouse during jury selection of the O.J. Simpson trial; And they pulled a stunt that got them banned from an entire airline (imagine the entire band moving to one side of a plane and jumping up and down)."

http://www.outsports.com/2009/3/17/4047392/ncaas-strangest-funnest-mascot-and-band

And there is music video as well...

http://slamet.xyz/music/mp3/download/stanford-band-banned-from-airline.html

I agree it is probably not true, but drumcat did not just make it up.

I agree it is probably not true, but drumcat did not just make it up.

Its true, MikeD that drumcat did not " make this up " ( and nobody here on DCP accused him of such either.., of course).

But yes, its also true that if several airlines had banned this Marching Band for attempting to terrorize passengers and crew on an airplane by the attempt to causing airplane panic, we would have seen this reported in the mainstream media, with TV reporting of it at least out in Calif. as well... and easily retrievable for proper sourcing now. This is just common sense here, as it would have been a big story. So yes, the fact that somebody, somewhere throws out a wild, unstubstantiated rumor in a wonky website where the rumor as such is more than likely bogus, only muddies the waters of what a Marching Band has allegedly done over the years to make them such a legitimate lightening rod for controversy.

The Stanford Marching Band and The Dadaists ( at Club Voltaire of the 20's.. that the Blue Devils paid homage to with their DCI winning show in 2012 ) seemingly have much in common.:

Both the Dadists, Stanford MB craft work was subpar..... both were considered vulgar by the mainstream..... both had arrests.... both had bannings..... both got into fights with others.( and on occasion among themselves ).... both had constituencies that came mostly from the elite families, wealthy families..... both engaged in shock attempts meant to intimidate, harrass, anger, etc conventional society, conventional mores, and others.... both succeeded in their endeavors to provoke and anger the conventional mainstream art, music, drama... both embrace anarchy, profanity, obscenity, rudeness, incivility in both performances and apparently in their personal lives in some cases with these " artists " and " musicians ".

Dadists were essentially untalented, wealthy, young punks with their craft. Stanford's Marching Band is a Punk Band on Steroids. They are today's Dadaists that once frequented Zurich's dive bar, called " Club Voltaire" in the 1920's, imo. " Club Voltaire" had so many arrests by local law enforcement for public drunkeness, debauchery, heavy drug usage, assaults, reported rapes, rioting, public nuisances, that the City of Zurich, under public pressure from regular law abiding citizens, eventually stripped " Club Voltaire " of its license, and the dive closed, with its patrons and " actors/ artists " scattered then to the 4 winds as a result. Stanford MB gets away with their schtick because the School allows it too. So they have THAT going for themselves anyway ( that the violent prone punks and other assorted anarchists at Club Voltaire eventually didn't )

Edited by BRASSO

maybe we would have seen it reported, maybe we wouldn't have. after all, it's just marching band

maybe we would have seen it reported, maybe we wouldn't have. after all, it's just marching band

Agreed. I will not mention the school, but I recall a road trip where one of our band's 15-passenger vans was stopped by police with stolen road signs and an open keg. After these were confiscated and all personal info was taken, the band members were allowed to continue on their trip. A complete report was sent to the campus police to handle the matter. They handed the report to the band director and took no other action (no action was taken by the band director either).

It happens.

Its just silly to believe that if a group.... ANY group.... allegedly attempted to terrorize passengers and crew on a large, COMMERCIAL AIRPLANE with an attempt ( even as a cruel joke ) to cause panic on the airplane that the mainstream media would not have picked up on it and reported it. We can also be assured that at least a few panicked passengers, finding that the group was afiliated with such a wealthy billions of dollars prestige Univ. such as Stanford Univ., would have no doubt shaken down the school for some monetary damages ( and would win ) in lawsuit(s) for the attempt to cause airplane panic with them. Some of this is just in the realm of common sense it would seem to me. Thats why, in the absence of ANY mainstream media reports of this attempt to terrorize and cause panic on commercial airlines ( and with no lawsuits on the part of panicked passengers apparently ever filed either ) puts this Stanford MB rumor squarely in the dubious claim column in my assessment of this rumor anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

Agreed. I will not mention the school, but I recall a road trip where one of our band's 15-passenger vans was stopped by police with stolen road signs and an open keg. After these were confiscated and all personal info was taken, the band members were allowed to continue on their trip. A complete report was sent to the campus police to handle the matter. They handed the report to the band director and took no other action (no action was taken by the band director either).

It happens.

Okay, I can see the authorities retrieving the stolen road signs, no big deal; but the keg of beer too----that's unAmerican!!! Plus it had a deposit on it!! What the heII is this country coming to!!! :thumbdown:

• Like 1