Stanford Band at it again...

Its true, MikeD that drumcat did not " make this up " ( and nobody here on DCP accused him of such either.., of course).

But yes, its also true that if several airlines had banned this Marching Band for attempting to terrorize passengers and crew on an airplane by the attempt to causing airplane panic, we would have seen this reported in the mainstream media, with TV reporting of it at least out in Calif. as well... and easily retrievable for proper sourcing now. This is just common sense here, as it would have been a big story. So yes, the fact that somebody, somewhere throws out a wild, unstubstantiated rumor in a wonky website where the rumor as such is more than likely bogus, only muddies the waters of what a Marching Band has allegedly done over the years to make them such a legitimate lightening rod for controversy.

I think you're looking for sourcing that discusses a rumor (and I did qualify it as such) and you're completely missing the point.

The "urban legend" of the plane tilt stunt doesn't matter. Is it feasible that a few kids jumped up on a charter plane for the band, and caused an annoyance which became urban legend? Sure. Is it the truth? Maybe, but it's not relevant.

Here's the LA Times all the way back in 1990: http://articles.latimes.com/1990-11-07/news/vw-3779_1_spotted-owl-show

So let's say that the "airline ban" is really some travel agent's refusal to charter, or some other nonsense that was, again - by all admission - spun into an urban legend. I don't have the sourcing you're looking for. The entire point, again, with no inside knowledge, is that the IMAGE that the band has, and wants, is the problem.

And if you're not sure they want this image, I would direct you to their front page - http://lsjumb.stanford.edu - which proudly proclaims that they have "sexions" [sic]. Your part about dadaism, I honestly have no idea about. What is apparent though, immediately, is that they WANT the reputation, EARN the reputation, and again, if the band could be easily shut down by the school, I think they would have by now.

It isn't lost on me that the team with the most DCI titles has its "home show" at a stadium where the band could not be any more galacticly opposite.

One last thing, Brasso. I expect Chicago Manual of Style 16th Edition citations on all your posts from now on. :silly:

I should also make perfectly clear that my dislike for the Stanford Band isn't because of them directly. It really has to do with the negative light they shine on the activity. Since "The Game" in 1982, Stanford's band has been unfortunately made forever a character in the college football landscape. Had it happened recently, I'm sure the trombone that got smashed would have had a GoFundMe page, and all the other stuff that goes with it. Unfortunately, the media has paid attention to the Band since that game. Journalists love to show off their long memories, and any chance they get, they write about that band.

As such, it is a hope that their clean up would do well for the region's programs, and college bands in general. The 99% deserve a better lens to be seen through. That's all.

I think you're looking for sourcing that discusses a rumor (and I did qualify it as such) and you're completely missing the point.

The "urban legend" of the plane tilt stunt doesn't matter.

:silly:

Well, if your initial claim above that the Stanford MB " has been banned from several airlines" now " doesn't matter ", then it probably should not have been mentioned by you above in the first place. Had it been unimportant to you in the first place, then we can assume you would not have brought it up above. The fact that you believe it was at least important for you to bring up the alleged airlines banning above, seems to naturally have one conclude that the alleged banning by the airlines for allegedly terrorizing passengers/ crew with a panic attempt by the Band was a significant event. The fact that you NOW want to consider the Stanford's MB " airlines bannings " as one that " doesn't matter", is something that could have been completely avoided had you simply not brought up what now seems increasingly to be nothing more than a false story about this MB. From my standpoint, there appears lots to criticize this Punk Band on. As such, I see no need to speak of these terror attempts on multiple airlines by Stanford's MB, when the story seemed dubious right from the getgo with discriminating audiences on the charge that if proven would result in lawsuits and possible jail time for the criminals committing such acts of terror.

Edited by BRASSO

One last thing, Brasso. I expect Chicago Manual of Style 16th Edition citations on all your posts from now on. :silly:

Nice.

That'd cost me 31 bucks......... used. Thats too much Chicago Style for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Manual-Style-16th-Edition/dp/0226104206

Edited by BRASSO

He told me Stanford band feeds off of negativity. They love it when people complain. He said it's like their fuel to keep pushing the limits and see how many more people they can *&^% off. He said the more people complain, the more they ramp it up. Hearing him talk the way he did reminded me of a interview I saw back in 1999 with rapper Eminem. When asked why he says the things he says in his songs, Eminem said because it @#$%^& people off and he thrives off negativity as well. He went on to say if no one complained about his music, he would probably no longer find it exciting, he would get bored with rap and he would go find something else to do with his life. Sounds like Stanford is the same way. They look for controversy and then feed on it. Ignoring them would neutralize them.

Yeah, some provocateurs fail to realize that controversy is not inherently good or bad, but neutral.

20 pages and 8,000 views regarding a College Marching Band.

That has to be a record here on Drum Corps Planet. No MB has ever gotten this much attention.

Heck, this is more views here on DCP than half the DCI Drum Corps have ever gotten on here.

• Like 2

20 pages and 8,000 views regarding a College Marching Band.

That has to be a record here on Drum Corps Planet. No MB has ever gotten this much attention.

Heck, this is more views here on DCP than half the DCI Drum Corps have ever gotten on here.

What about the Ohio State thread from a year or two ago?