2016 Rule Congress proposals

Here's how I envision the music caption:

2 brass judges (one on the front sideline, one in the box)

2 percussion judges (one on the field judging the battery, one on the front sideline judging the pit)

1 music analysis judge (that's all there needs to be)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

In other fields, I've encountered this expression: a difference that makes no difference is no difference at all. Or it might be asked: are you really achieving anything worth caring about if it's only noticeable by someone a few feet away from you?

How about no field level judges then? All from the box?

While I can't speak for music (although I do think it's partly the same?) there is only so much information that the judge can take from the sidelines. The only way to really see how the members are truly performing, both individually, and person to person is to jump in there and get your hands dirty.

I agree and I feel the same way with the brass line. If approved, you might see percussion lines spend less time up front and the writing might be easier. Helll, these changes might change how the whole show is written and staged.

While I can't speak for music (although I do think it's partly the same?) there is only so much information that the judge can take from the sidelines. The only way to really see how the members are truly performing, both individually, and person to person is to jump in there and get your hands dirty.

This is as good of an idea as expecting all NFL referees to be on the sideline. This will make the judges opinions even more subjective to go in the way of certain corps....

Are DCI judges really that distracting to people? I feel like I barely notice them because I'm concentrating on the show/members.

You beat me to the punch. Adjudicating ensemble technique of a percussion line from the sidelines or, worse yet, the boxes, would be much akin to asking a Wimbledon linesman to make line calls from the upper reaches of the stands at Centre Court. In other words, not at all practical.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

As someone who doesn't really follow the rules proposal stuff, would this, if in theory it gets approve/passed/whatever, go into effect for the 2016 season or is it just possibilities on the table and would be implemented in seasons post this year? Thanks in advance.

I think there needs to be a percussion judge on the field, there are things you cannot hear/see/judge effectively if you cannot get right up close and personal with the lines. I think it's especially important when you have the current top 4 lines (Devils, Coats, Cadets, and Vanguard) all extremely volatile in their placements and spreads throughout the seasons since around 2012. When there's a good few groups so close, the devil is in the details if you want to win.

I am however, in favor of a front sideline percussion judge, I feel like that'd FINALLY account for somewhat of a front ensemble judge. I think you'd likely see certain corps with pretty good lines but STELLAR front ensembles get a nice, and well deserved boost (I'm thinking about Blue Stars INCREDIBLE front line from the past few seasons, drums no slouch either).

Overall, IMO more judges with specific criteria to judge a corps from as many angles and perspectives as possible = the better. If they can afford hiring more judges/training for the new captions, implement them in a way that works with a sheet that makes sense, go for it.

• Like 2

In case anyone wants to go in-depth with how these proposals work...

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2016-dci-rules-proposals?e=1376842/32503023

The electronics one could be good, it’s dial it down a bit, felt we have gotten way too sample, easy button…also it addresses clearing copyrights for samples, about time

drum ones, I'm not sold on

Task force appointed by artistic director sort of sends chills down my spine…the sample one, it seems that want to reward dancing drumlines more…I’d prefer more drumming

Side line drum judge? In LOS, imagine how corps will stage their batteries then…back field snare solos in LOS, why even bother then…it’s be a joke to judge

Blue Devils did co-sign the warm up proposal, classless and clueless again, whaaa

not really seeing good cases made here (never stopped them before) or much in the way of audience impact...so yeah, DCI had a good year, time to #U*K it all up

Here's how I envision the music caption:

2 brass judges (one on the front sideline, one in the box)

2 percussion judges (one on the field judging the battery, one on the front sideline judging the pit)

1 music analysis judge (that's all there needs to be)

Breaking down the sheets Brass only accounts for around 25% of the total score so why allot 2 judges? Brass is only playing roughly 6.5 min in the average DCI show. I see no need for 2 judges for brass.

Reading and listening to podcast now. 9 Proposals here---> http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210617288&DB_OEM_ID=33500

1 - Clarifying Use of Electronic Equipment and Amplification

2 - Allow Use of Metronome and Speaker in Warm-up

3 - Perc 1 Sheet Modification

4 - Perc 2 Modification

5 - Convert Perc 2 to Music Analysis 2

6 - Relocate Perc 2 to Front Sideline

7 - Relocate all Field Judges to Front Sideline

8 - Allow half tenths (.5) for judges

9 - Two Caption-Oriented Music Ensemble judges

I call this revenge of the drum guys!

1....i'm not 100% sure everything they are asking for here that isn't more or less done already

2...meh. I hear their point, but for god's sake, noise from warm up areas seems to get worse unless they're a mile away

3 and 4 both make sense to me

5 i'll take 9 instead

6 no i'll take 4 instead

7 no thank you. For all of those who say 'oh it's dangerous"...if Alan hadn't been able to run on the field to get that drum, someone in Crown wipes out and possibly takes others with them.

8...YES!!!!!!! Works great in indoor as long as judges can justify it. Sure, we'll get goofier numbers but we get them with the averaged GE captions now.

9.....he is spot on and I have said this same argument about judges being more solid in one area than others, and the commentary you get is balanced that way.

I do believe this is probably the most sensible set of proposals I've seen put forth since DCi started advertising them, plus all of the tin foil hat people about woodwinds can look and see they aren't mentioned once.

I've got little to no problems with any of these, honestly. My only comment is in reassigning the Perc 2 judge criteria, the rationale was that "2 judges provide conflicting opinions." Um, yeah. It happens in every single activity with a multiple judging panel. Ever seen the World Pipe Band results? Or a figure skating judging panel? Marching music is one of the few places where the folks *expect* judging scores to be uniform, and if they're not, then the answer is to remove the second opinion.

Mike

you may still get conflicting opinions, but the issue is the upstairs guy is in many ways being asked to do the downstairs guys job from the box. In a dome ( or stadium with a roof and no drainage system to appease the Oil Can fans) with a brass playing and amps blasting, you can't hear that stuff. to me, the best system DCI had was the 3 field, 3 ensemble and 3 effect set up....the huge flaw there being no seperate guard judge. the current system added guard which was huge, but created the generic music caption, which gives you a read heavily weighted on that persons background, be it perc or brass.Splitting that sheet into 2 sheets, and keeping everything else is to me the biggest win of all wins. I've heard music ensemble recordings with brass guys judging it that hardly mention percussion.