2016 Rule Congress proposals

Either you like #7 because it keeps people safe, or you dislike #7 because it prevents captions from being judged properly. Perhaps there can be a compromise?

Does it really keep people safe though? How many injuries have we seen through the years due to a judge being on the field? What percentage of injuries in a drum corps season can be attributed to it? I think the real truth of the conversation is:

Either you like #7 because you don't want to see anything other than a performer on the field, or you dislike #7 because it prevents captions from being judged properly.

• Like 4

I'm reading that a lot of the people wanting them moved are just plain annoyed with the distraction of field judges.

The "for the kids" crowd don't really have much to show how they are improving safety other than maybe a couple of anecdotes, which can be provided by both sides. As was done with the Alan Kristenson Crown story.

Does it really keep people safe though? How many injuries have we seen through the years due to a judge being on the field? What percentage of injuries in a drum corps season can be attributed to it? I think the real truth of the conversation is:

YES, it does. Not safe in every way, it keeps them safe from running into JUDGES.

It would be CRIMINAL to have even ONE corps member hurt, perhaps permanently because DCI was asleep at the wheel and didn't see this coming. Do we really need a broken leg before someone figures out judges on the modern DCI competition field is an UN-SAFE, bad idea?

The ideal way to deal with injury is to do the BEST you can do to see that one that never happens.

Edited by wvu80

YES, it does. Not safe in every way, it keeps them safe from running into JUDGES.

It would be CRIMINAL to have even ONE corps member hurt, perhaps permanently because DCI was asleep at the wheel and didn't see this coming. Do we really need a broken leg before someone figures out judges on the modern DCI competition field is a bad idea?

The ideal way to deal with injury is to do the BEST you can do to see that one that never happens.

Then the entire activity is (in your words) criminal. More injuries occur from simply attempting to do our activity properly than ever occur from a judge on the field. Lets prevent all of the injuries and just cancel the season.

• Like 2

Then the entire activity is (in your words) criminal. More injuries occur from simply attempting to do our activity properly than ever occur from a judge on the field. Lets prevent all of the injuries and just cancel the season.

NO, not my words. Those are your words you are putting in my mouth. The subject up for discussion is judges on the field.

It would be CRIMINAL if marching members were to suffer an injury due to a variable (judges on the field) they do NOT have to deal with in 8 hours of practice a day. THIS type of injury is both FORESEEABLE and PREVENTABLE and in my view if not changed, INEVITABLE.

We don't want a marching member EVER to have a life changing knee injury because of running into a JUDGE. It is NOT NECESSARY.

The NFL has changed its rules in the last year in the name of safety for the players. Why can't DCI?

Edited by wvu80

NO, not my words. Those are your words you are putting in my mouth. The subject up for discussion is judges on the field.

It would be CRIMINAL if marching members were to suffer an injury due to a variable (judges on the field) they do NOT have to deal with in 8 hours of practice a day. THIS type of injury is both FORESEEABLE and PREVENTABLE and in my view if not changed, INEVITABLE.

We don't want a marching member EVER to have a life changing knee injury because of running into a JUDGE. It is NOT NECESSARY.

The NFL has changed its rules in the last year in the name of safety for the players. Why can't DCI?

First, they are your words. I simply applied them to a related context.

Second, the NFL changed their rules due to an epidemic of injuries related to the rules they changed. There is no such epidemic in DCI, and while there is a potential danger for injury, the facts don't support any significant chance of injury. Odds don't increase over time.

Third, you're incorrect in suggesting that extra people on the field is a variable that members don't have to deal with in rehearsal. Have you ever watched a drum corps rehearsal? The staff is all over the field, and there are far more of them than there are judges. While staff do have the advantage of knowing the show, there are always new staff coming on and off tour, and field judges do quite a lot of research to know where to be. Members are used to seeing individuals in their drill that aren't supposed to be there.

Again, all drum corps related injuries are preventable. However, you're more likely to be injured in visual block in the morning than you are in a judge related incident on the performance field. While you do not agree that there is a need for judges on the field, there is a significant percentage of those involved in the activity who believe that there is.

• Like 2

My favorite percussion judge 'run for your life' video is from Cadets 2008 'Vesuvius and Apollo Unleashed.'https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVLN_3CFNEo

Great video. I watched the judge only because I was drawn to watching him because of the your post. For the most part, unless you really want to follow them, judges stay pretty obscure from the show. As long as the production is a competitive one, I don't know how you can judge percussion without being close to the action. Perhaps there is a remote-electronic measurement device that could be used if developed in the future. But until we get there, I think you need to keep a judge on the field.

• Like 1

can we get a count on injuries cause by judges? I'll even accept anecdotes. but it seems more like a boogie-man to me.

here's the perspective I haven't seen raised yet: instructive. a judge isn't going to be able to tell the line how to get better if he can't see them. I sure laughed off my share of drumjudge tapes, but the Good Judges has very useful things to say and I'm glad they had the chance to contribute them.

and the 'freedom of artistic expression crowd,' well this is going to seriously limit the drill on any corps that actually wants to showcase its line and be rewarded. drill during a drum feature will have to be incredibly limited.

if you want to unweight the presence of technical drumming on the scores, that's one thing. but as long as it's a part of the competition, let's not pretend there's any better way of evaluating it.

unless you think the best idea is for the drum judge to meet up with each line post-performance, where the battery will then perform their show notes again at standstill for his consideration. That way each line can make sure they do their dancing and body movement right during the show, then play the notes right for the judge in the 2nd eval. Total Coverage!
here I am, giving away great ideas for free...

• Like 3

First, they are your words. I simply applied them to a related context.

First, they are NOT my words about a "related context." I did not say them. Just because you are repeating your assertion does not make it so.

You may have noticed I have no difficulty in using words to express my sentiments. If I intended to generalize a statement about judges on the field to cover all safety for all marchers in any context, I would have done so. If you want to talk about safety of all marchers in the activity, start your own thread.

I made a FOCUSED statement about a proposed rule change and I stated my reason why I support that position. There are other points of view about safety, there are other points of view about spectators having a better live performance experience. All valid points, all worthy of attention.

I choose not to focus on them. You may, others may, and that's OK. I'm not.

Edited by wvu80

can we get a count on injuries cause by judges? I'll even accept anecdotes. but it seems more like a boogie-man to me.

here's the perspective I haven't seen raised yet: instructive. a judge isn't going to be able to tell the line how to get better if he can't see them. I sure laughed off my share of drumjudge tapes, but the Good Judges has very useful things to say and I'm glad they had the chance to contribute them.

and the 'freedom of artistic expression crowd,' well this is going to seriously limit the drill on any corps that actually wants to showcase its line and be rewarded. drill during a drum feature will have to be incredibly limited.

if you want to unweight the presence of technical drumming on the scores, that's one thing. but as long as it's a part of the competition, let's not pretend there's any better way of evaluating it.

unless you think the best idea is for the drum judge to meet up with each line post-performance, where the battery will then perform their show notes again at standstill for his consideration. That way each line can make sure they do their dancing and body movement right during the show, then play the notes right for the judge in the 2nd eval. Total Coverage!

here I am, giving away great ideas for free...

Phantom Regiment bass 5 in 2013 at the Atlanta show. Took him down and almost the whole line, iirc.