2016 Uniform Thread

Because the uniforms they wear don't fit the show. It would be great to see Cadets ditch the old look completely for something fresh. I applaud them for taking a step and changing the colors and adding the stone look, but they could have gone all the way and ditched the shakos and military look of the jacket. Maybe this is one step towards it. Many I'm missing it, but I've never seen a statue of someone wearing a shako and plume. Put any of these uniforms on a WGI Percussion group and would look so out of place now a-days. At least in WGI, what they wear is an attempt to match the detail of the show, the floor, etc.

There's no Music City Mystique Uniform or Rhythm X uniform so why is it different when it's outside during the summer?

I've never heard anyone ever mention eye protection in all my years of marching. If it's a concern, every drum corps should wear their headgear during the day and definitely during late night ensemble for those extremely bright stadium lights.

I think the point of the headwear of any form is to make the unit a) look "uniform," and b) make them look TALLER. The difference between the WGI groups and DCI groups is the size of the venue. In WGI, there really is no need for headwear, because it is more of a personal, closer venue where seeing facial expressions adds more to the show. The audience at a DCI show is much further away, and typically outdoors. To me, a corps looks short and incomplete when they're not wearing a shako or aussie, or whichever headwear they choose.

• Like 1

I don't know if you can vehemently defend "traditional" drum corps uniforms while talking about the excellent electric violin passages complimenting the synthesized voices from the pit. The sound updates; the look updates. Athletic and comfortable is "in." Sleeker looks to compliment body movement are in.

Crown is in an in-between sort of place - the bodysuits scream athletic while the jackets and hat do not. The hat is just a modified shako design. Heck, Sky Ryder's did a very similar look 30 years ago. Blue Knights did it 20 years ago.

I very much like what Phantom is doing this year - they still look Phantom-ish while not appearing to drag suits of armor around the field at 200bpm.

Fashion, of course, is as much of an "eye of the beholder" area as music. I totally understand the appeal of iconic looks. But it's definitely possible to link to it while still making things more modern, and it's neat so many corps exploring that.

Mike

I would argue that Boston has done the best job of perserving their look while also moving to a more modern uniform

• Like 3

The white uniforms are just a gussied up version of their 2015 uniforms that they needed for early parades (they don't/didn't have a full set of the new unis in). It is my understanding that Phantom will be "Back in Black" this year, and the black & red uniforms the front ensemble are wearing in this picture will be their 2016 uniforms.

So will the podium people be staying in black, standing out in white (remember Big Willy from Bloo last few seasons) or returning to the iconic Regiment red from years gone bye?

Edited by xandandl

Please for the love of God... the first weekend of shows cannot possibly come quick enough!

• Like 1