Corps Necklace

This tradition was started in 1992. Glad to be able to say I was there for the first one.

Ours were strung right to the shoelace through the drilled hole - the helmet link must have been a later addition to the tradition.

And pre-1992 alumni are eligible to receive the shoelace, links and pennies as well.

Colts members wear a triangle and shako link. Color guard members also wear a little metal feather in the memory of an alumni who pasted away in a car accident on the way to camp some years ago.

Unless you are from the pre shako era, like me. You get a triangle for every year marched.

13707592_1093973147339870_69771329810512

Edited by BigDale

The Tradition of the Cavaliers Gear

So … how and when did the tradition of giving gears to each member begin? Many corps reward their members with a necklace or memento of some kind to showcase their having marched in the organization. But the most enduring such item was created by the Cavaliers.

In 1968, Cavalier alumnus Scotty Wild (1950s guard sergeant) was the drill writer for a rival Chicago area corps called the DesPlaines Vanguard. In an effort to build camaraderie among their members, each was given a black, rubber washer and string to wear as a necklace. They nicknamed it an “Ozo.”

When the smart ### Cavalier members saw those necklaces later that summer, some of the guys bought some small gears and gave them to each member to wear and called them “No Zos” in a mocking gesture. It was a one-year "tradition" that did not stick around in successive years.

Fast forward five years and Scotty Wild is now the drill writer for the Cavaliers in our 25th Anniversary year, 1973. Bob Hoehn, then corps manager for the Cavaliers, along with Bob Jackson, personnel manager, and Paul Milano, marching member and president of the President’s Club, talked about doing something special for the members that year and they collectively came up with the idea of a necklace once again.

Green gears and chain necklaces were purchased. Prior to the first show that summer, Paul Milano offered the first gear, "Gear #1," to the then drum major, Scott Wagner. Scott graciously told Paul to keep the first one, since Paul was one of the originators of the idea. Paul wears Gear #1 still to this day - 43 years later (see picture below).

Some years afterward, the tradition of receiving only one gear for all years marched was modified to begin the tradition of receiving one gear for each year marched. Later still, a white gear was added for those Cavaliers who also went through the honor of the Initiations process. Many members separate their gears with Japanese yen, another tradition started in more recent years. (See picture below)

Since 1968, approximately 2,000 Cavaliers have been awarded a gear.

Splooie to each of you who now wears a gear in the cog of the Green Machine!

My%20Gear.jpg

Cavalier%20gears%20modern.jpg

• Like 1

Pioneer has a shamrock that says "Pioneer Corps" and "Better Every Day" on the front, with the person's member number on the back. Mine is worn in the front because I didn't realize a little metal chain thing I had put on it was wearing out the front, so I had to move it. We also get a washer for every year we march, with each washer you get, you get a different color, and certain colors represent if it's your first, second, third, etc. year. The other items on the necklace were put on by me and aren't given by the corps.

zaBbRG9.jpg

• Like 1