No Detailed Recaps

Intrigued by Marie's statement in the DP interview about judges checking their caption score against the total to determine if you might have made a mistake. Isn't the point that captions should be ranked and rated independently and the total is the derived result? Isn't it ok to be a box 4 total score with a box 3 drum score or brass score?

Or are we to believe that all facets of the corps must be in proximity?

In a perfect world:

Yes, in concept it's ok to be Box 4 in Total Score and most captions, with a Box 3 brass score.

IF you're tape is 100 percent on-the-level and justifies the number.

In reality, having the one unique outlier is suspicious, and most judges/Admin/staffers don't like that at all. In theory if Brass is Box 3 while Music & GE are Box 4 is makes the brass judge look "wrong" and raises red flags. That doesn't mean it actually is wrong, or a judge is wrong to put that number down, but that tape better be impeccable.

I judged a show where I had a performance caption significantly different from an Effect caption (the effect sheet was half Music/half Overall). The judge Admin at the show was not happy (especially knowing the Director of the group would be a PITA). I held that my tape 100% justified my number, as did the Effect judge. This was at Prelims, so score affected seeding at Finals. I honestly don't recall what happened, though I do remember that at Finals (which I didn't judge that class) the performance judge felt the same as I did in Prelims (i.e. the performance score was quite a bit lower than the Effect or Visual scores), so I at least felt like I wasn't too crazy putting that number down.

But the thing to remember about judging/scores/etc. is that we're all humans & there are real-world situations to deal with when it comes to caption numbers & rankings. I've heard of certain Top 5 percussion Caption Heads flat-out bullying judges, or DCI Judge Admin, to get judges to see "their" way of thinking (i.e. to pop them a higher number). Heck, I've known of Top 5 Caption Heads who put pressure on DCI to ensure certain judges don't judge the most important shows so the panels aren't too devastating for them

Do staff ever argue with judges that they were overscored? That too good a number will make the members overconfident?

Thinking back to high school band, I remember our director telling us members once after an important contest that our score was a gift from the judges that wasn't deserved based on the performance we gave.

Do staff ever argue with judges that they were overscored? That too good a number will make the members overconfident?

Thinking back to high school band, I remember our director telling us members once after an important contest that our score was a gift from the judges that wasn't deserved based on the performance we gave.

While rare, I've seen that happen.

Seems to be that point that they'll know when, if, and how staff wants them to know.

They're concerned about psychological damage to the young, impressionable minds (and they're tired of putting up with the #####ing from MM's.

Oh, and they apparently also don't trust the judges or something so they may not tell their kids anything all season. "It's only a number! Do your best show! You can't control anyone else's performance or rankings! Forget the numbers!"

MM: "Did BD win drums?"

Staff: "Water!" (Huddles in consultation with each other. "How do we handle this question?")

#### DCP posters examining them where kids may see them

Intrigued by Marie's statement in the DP interview about judges checking their caption score against the total to determine if you might have made a mistake. Isn't the point that captions should be ranked and rated independently and the total is the derived result? Isn't it ok to be a box 4 total score with a box 3 drum score or brass score?

Or are we to believe that all facets of the corps must be in proximity?

no she's refering to judges checking their totes to what the tabulator has to be sure there wasn't a transposition error

While rare, I've seen that happen.

I've said it.

"what were you on? we sucked tonight!" LOL

In light of this rule change, it is pretty fascinating to look back at some Youtube video edited from the 1988 PBS broadcast of Finals, in which "Reliable Rondo" predicts the "undefeated" Blue Devils will win. The Devils weren't undefeated, actually, because they placed second the night before in Semifinals, but nobody knew that, and even after the Finals scores have been announced, Rondinaro still says, "The Blue Devils came in here undefeated".