SCV 2016

"Earth Song" actually comes out of a piece for wind band by Frank Ticheli called "Sanctuary," which was written for his friend H. Robert Reynolds. I could be wrong, but I believe "Earth Song" was commissioned after the 2007 Virginia Tech mass shooting.

"Sanctuary" also includes some key changes not found in the choral version, and you can hear Vanguard do so at around 01:58:10 of the birthday dinner video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag5HkuojW_g

EDIT: I'm pretty convinced now that Vanguard is playing "Sanctuary" and not "Earth Song."

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

You do know that these shows are planned at least a year in advance, right? There was almost definitely no intentional choice to theme the shows with those events.

Not in the case of the Scheherazade show

• Like 1

Not so sure "The Canyon" will be included in their program. They seem to use it as a warmup: https://youtu.be/u_Y5OKj9pvs?t=52s

Has been since 2012

Not in the case of the Scheherazade show

Can confirm. I still have a recording from my time at the 2014 January call back camp of a run through of a particularly cool John Mackey piece.

Even here on the East Coast, the reverence and respect can be felt during the set-up and playing of "Clowns." Well done.

I agree...that is the classic GR arrangement done in Bb (vs. G) most are familiar with where the lead baritones have the melody in the beginning (as a Red Team lead bari alum, that passage alone is very special to play and the reverence is very palpable-- you DO NOT screw it up.) Last year the corps played a vastly different new arrangement which featured a mello solo so I was surprised they reached back.

My son is in the SCVC portion of the video; I wasn't able to attend the event but I had no idea their hornline was that big!

Shameless plug: 4 of the rookie trumpets in SCVC all have one thing in common: their fathers all marched in the SCV '84 hornline and three of those dads were in the same section.

Yea I remember the Hayward show and the tributes for Gail and Jerry. It was very touching. I always liked talking to Mr. Royer.

We sure do have it made in the Bay Area with two distinctive styles of drum corps and long histories of championship performances.

• Like 1

Video about February camp for SCV and SCVC.

Listen from 2:41-2:48 for some clues dropped about the show theme.

That for SCVC or SCV?

Sounds like 4 Seasons. Cliche show theme if it happens to be what it is, but it doesn't mean their treatment has to be. I look to Cascades wonderful "Turn" from 2 seasons ago and Colts 2007 "Equinox" as to how wonderful of a tapestry that can provide.

I'm always excited to see SCV. I thought last year was WONDERFUL. The treatment of "Pure Immagination" and the last 45 seconds or so were SO well done. I thought early on they were easily a medal contender, certain things didn't come together completely, but it was easily my 2nd favorite of the season.

Hope they continue to develop the brass program and can achieve just one notch higher in visual and they'll shoot up. Regardless, love me some SCV, and SCVC for that matter. Can always count on them to provide a fun and beautiful performance.