SCV 2016

Well, the first drum corps to ever use his music was Carolina Crown in 1995, their first show to ever make World Class (at the time Division I) Finals. I believe nowadays he has bands/corps pay unusually high fees in order to allow them to arrange his music. It's understandable because I've heard that Mr. Melillo is very detailed about the way he wants his compositions performed, not only in terms of execution but also the physical setup of the ensemble. And there are a few compositions (such as "Escape from Plato's Cave") that he doesn't grant any rights for due to personal meaning.

So, prepare to have that section silenced on the DVD I guess. Good thing I have Live, I can't wait to hear them this year.

So, prepare to have that section silenced on the DVD I guess. Good thing I have Live, I can't wait to hear them this year.

Cavies played some of his music in 2014 and to my knowledge it was not affected in any way by licensing. Someone correct me if I am wrong. That was the closer.

Edited by DrumManTx

I went to High school with Steve and his brothers in Greenwich Ct during the 70's. A great family!

Steve composed and arranged for me at the Bushwackers from 1990-1994 and we won 3 of our 6 championships using Steves scores, 2 of which were original compositions concept shows Steve created for the corps. His music is WONDERFUL.

Steve still posts words of encouragement and stories on the Bushwacker alumni page and he truly enjoyed his 4 years working for and with the Bushwackers. So Crown wasn't the first corps to use his music

Edited by HBD

So Crown wasn't the first corps to use his music

To clarify, Crown was the first to use his music that was originally written for a different ensemble with different instrumentation.

Well, Not really. The Bushwackers played a piece of Steve's titled "Where is Right?" That was originally written for a small orchestra and female vocalist, That was 1990. This piece was composed in the 80's and he had it in his files when he composed our 1990 show titled

" A day in the life". If you get a chance, do a search of "Where is Right?", It is a beautiful piece of music from Steve.

To clarify, Crown was the first to use his music that was originally written for a different ensemble with different instrumentation.

See my post above^^

Edited by HBD

Actually, that won't be an issue.

HE is the one that grants usage rights, not a third party, so they'll be fine.

• Like 1

I believe Bluecoats played Hajj in 2005 from Melillo, and DCI could not release APD downloads all summer due to licensing issues. etc. However, they did get on the CD's and DVD's from what I remember, so it must have been a "download" issue and not physical media, etc.

I do hope that SCV/DCI gets ALL the licensing requests approved for performance and physical media - it would stink if there are cuts to the show because of the amount of Melillo material they are doing.