SCV 2016

The source material for the second movement (Without Warning) is under 2 minutes long so they have to stretch it with interspersed percussion breaks, which makes the piece sound choppily arranged. But that's literally my only gripe with the show musically. Honestly something tells me by the end of the season parts of that movement will be rewritten to make room for a down ending of the show... :music:

Just listened to the SV audio provided by Hrothgar15. Can't wait to see and hear the full performance. Not only beautiful, but must be a typical, smooth-flowing, Santa Clara "Class in Motion."

Gotta say, it was nice to hear such a brilliant production WITHOUT human voice narrating or singing.

This may have already been said in this topic but I find the similarities in this show with PR in 2010 quite startling.

this isn't a criticism in any way as I loved that show and I'm loving this show.

Not a shock when look at who is doing the arranging. All that's missing is Myron Rosander's drill...

Just listened to the SV audio provided by Hrothgar15. Can't wait to see and hear the full performance. Not only beautiful, but must be a typical, smooth-flowing, Santa Clara "Class in Motion."

Gotta say, it was nice to hear such a brilliant production WITHOUT human voice narrating or singing.

Note: I've watched (primarily listened to) this show once, so perhaps it wasn't a perceptive viewing...

That said, I'm surprised at how unlike 2015 it is (especially e.g., use of electronics). At least not yet.

I think it's terrific, an example of classic SCV. "Class in Motion" is a great descriptor.

• Like 1

For those that have heard the show (Hrothgar15 provided an audio link a page or two back, thanks man!) - there's definitely a vanguard yell moment designed into this year's show - last movement, about 1 minute from the end (well, as designed currently). It'll be neat as the season wears on and more pick up on it. I think it could be one of the better ones come finals week.

I know, I know...some aren't a fan of a yell...but this got me thinking, since J.D. Shaw started arranging for SCV in the 2012 season, how many designed vanguard yells have there been? The only one that immediately popped to mind was the 2013 Les Mis show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmAOi9mc70). Are there others I'm forgetting? There was a stretch about 10 years ago (2004-2007) where a vanguard yell was designed into pretty much every show, but it's been less common as of late. Works well for those who aren't a fan of them and makes them more special for those that are.

Edited by scvphan

For those that have heard the show (Hrothgar15 provided an audio link a page or two back, thanks man!) - there's definitely a vanguard yell moment designed into this year's show - last movement, about 1 minute from the end (well, as designed currently). It'll be neat as the season wears on and more pick up on it. I think it could be one of the better ones come finals week.

I know, I know...some aren't a fan of a yell...but this got me thinking, since J.D. Shaw started arranging for SCV in the 2012 season, how many designed vanguard yells have there been? The only one that immediately popped to mind was the 2013 Les Mis show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmAOi9mc70). Are there others I'm forgetting? There was a stretch about 10 years ago (2004-2007) where a vanguard yell was designed into pretty much every show, but it's been less common as of late. Works well for those who aren't a fan of them and makes them more special for those that are.

In 2012, the Vanguard yell was before the first impact of "Mars." The last 2 years, it was before the very first impact, but not many people did it.

In 2012, the Vanguard yell was before the first impact of "Mars." The last 2 years, it was before the very first impact, but not many people did it.

Ok, that's right on the 2012 show. Hmmm - for the last two years, I see what you mean...just don't feel like classic vanguard yell moments to me. I suppose I wonder if they were designed vanguard yells or "moments of opportunity" as identified by fans. This year's feels designed to me (or at least much better designed) and will get a lot more fan participation.

I got to see this one on the Stanford webcast, and wow! In terms of design, this was the fan favorite for the evening (among the sample of me, my wife, my friend, and my 11-month-old daughter). I'd love to see them pull more out of this, but I'm worried this will be another one of those years where they just barely can't get a medal.

Audio is here.

Oh my god. I honestly really want this show to win the gold, as unlikely as that is of happening. This is absolutely gorgeous

• Like 4