Buccaneers Announce Spring Preview 2016

BillP.

The Reading Buccaneers Drum & Bugle Corps will present their 2016 “Spring Preview” indoor concert on Saturday, May 7, 7:00 p.m. at Twin Valley High School, Elverson, PA.

As always, the show will bring a host of exciting active and alumni corps to the stage.

· Fusion Core, DCA finalist and consistently one of the most exciting corps around. This ensemble “brings it” to every performance.

· The Skyliners, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA – DCA’s newest active open class corps, developing the intensity of their namesakes.

· The Reilly Raiders, Willow Grove, PA - Internationally known and one of the largest and most storied alumni corps in the activity.

· Brassmen Alumni, Brooklyn, NY – From the original St. Rita’s through today, this corps remains “The Elephant in the Room!”

· Reading Buccaneer Alumni, Reading, PA – Recreating championship excitement from the 1960’s, ‘70’s and ‘80’s.

· The Reading Buccaneers, Reading, PA – The reigning DCA 2015 World Champions premiering their 2016 show: “ConZENtric!”

Spring Preview tickets are available in advance at $15.00 (reserved seating) and $13.00 (general admission), and may be ordered online at www.readingbuccaneers.org, or by mailing a check and self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Spring Preview

200 Columbia Ave.

Reading, PA 19605

Please make your check payable to: Spring Preview. Ticket orders received after May 1 will be held at Will Call. Tickets will also be available at the door.

A turkey dinner (with vegetarian option) will be offered in the school cafeteria from 3:00-6:30. Dinners may be purchased at the show.

For other information about the show, please contact Bill Powers, Spring Preview Chairman, at 717.314.4446 or by emailing bucspringpreview@gmail.com.

Join us for an exciting spring evening of drum corps on May 7!

Edited by BillP.

Solid lineup, and Twin Valley H.S. is a great venue.

Looking forward to this!!!!

What I like is that there will be three currently competing corps/Cores at the event like the "old days"- and in this case like the old days is a good thing.

Reminiscent of the "Round Robin" days... when every winter/spring, Caballeros, Skyliners, Hurricanes, and Sunrisers would each host an indoor concert.

From what I remember, each corps would keep the gate proceeds from their home show, and attend the others for free... or at least close to free. Each host corps could also bring in whatever other corps or bands, etc., they wanted at their show.

Gave the fans a nice taste of what was to come for the summer season... and quite frankly, gave the corps a chance to try out their new and/or returning material (this in the days when corps would play a tune or two...or three...LOL...for more than one season) without the pressure of competition, to see what worked and what didn't.

Aside from those Round Robin shows, you also had the Buccaneers' indoor concert and the Harrisburg show, among others.

OK... back on topic.

The one thing those Round Robin shows most definitely did not have was a great pre-show dinner, like the one at the Bucs' Spring Preview this and every year!!! :thumbup:

Nice to get a chance to sit down, have a bite to eat, and catch up with our friends in the various corps after a long offseason.

>>>The one thing those Round Robin shows most definitely did not have was a great pre-show dinner, like the one at the Bucs' Spring Preview this and every year!!! :thumbup:<<<

Those Round Robin shows began in 1973 ... Hawthorne's was at Don Bosco HS ... Hurc's at the Klein in Bpt, ... Sun in Mineola or Massapequa? ... Sky's at the Westchester County Center ... not sure how long they lasted ... maybe 76 or 77? ... the afterglow parties were always better than the shows ... LOL ...

:-)

>>>The one thing those Round Robin shows most definitely did not have was a great pre-show dinner, like the one at the Bucs' Spring Preview this and every year!!! :thumbup:<<<

Those Round Robin shows began in 1973 ... Hawthorne's was at Don Bosco HS ... Hurc's at the Klein in Bpt, ... Sun in Mineola or Massapequa? ... Sky's at the Westchester County Center ... not sure how long they lasted ... maybe 76 or 77? ... the afterglow parties were always better than the shows ... LOL ...

Andy, I remember doing those shows as late as the early 1980s. We (Sun) hosted ours in the New Rochelle area at least one of those years. Cabs' show ran at various venues.... Felician College, William Paterson U., among others.

Then the "Round Robin" aspect gradually went away... but the Cabs continued to host their indoor Grand Prix through the early 1990s. Heh... one year... 1990, I think.... it was held on Kentucky Derby day.... and I made sure I was near a TV at post time, about an hour before the show started!!! :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

>>Then the "Round Robin" aspect gradually went away... but the Cabs continued to host their indoor Grand Prix through the early 1990s. Heh... one year... 1990, I think.... it was held on Kentucky Derby day.... and I made sure I was near a TV at post time, about an hour before the show started!!! :tongue:<<

Truth be told ... in 73 a bunch of us and the wives went to dinner in Brooklyn at Lundy's ... PANDEMONIUM at its best! ... needless to say, we missed our onstage performance (to the wives' delight) ... but, made that after-party (to the wives' dismay) ... a few weeks later, we were onstage at Hawthorne's show and missing some soloists for our color pre (DeFig & Guarino) ... as the song was being played (subpar), Winky saw them in the back of the auditorium and cold-stopped the corps ... invited them onto the stage and announced to the crowd: "now we'll play it the way it was meant to be played" ... restarted everything from the drum solo and viola ... SUCCESS!!!

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1