Buccaneers Announce Spring Preview 2016

BillP.

Truth be told ... in 73 a bunch of us and the wives went to dinner in Brooklyn at Lundy's ... PANDEMONIUM at its best! ... needless to say, we missed our onstage performance (to the wives' delight) ... but, made that after-party (to the wives' dismay) ... a few weeks later, we were onstage at Hawthorne's show and missing some soloists for our color pre (DeFig & Guarino) ... as the song was being played (subpar), Winky saw them in the back of the auditorium and cold-stopped the corps ... invited them onto the stage and announced to the crowd: "now we'll play it the way it was meant to be played" ... restarted everything from the drum solo and viola ... SUCCESS!!!

:-)

Man... the stuff we pulled back in the day. LOL.

One of my last years with Sun... 1981, '82, not sure which... the Cabs' indoor show was at William Patterson College. Great venue... the seating area sloped up and away from the stage, putting the fans up close to the action.

Anyhow.... my French horn comrade Marty Roche and I were on the end of one of the lines our horn line formed in our stage setup... and during the drum solo, the horns moved sidestage to give the audience a better look at the percussion section.

Horns went to parade rest, in view of the audience... but Marty and I realized that the two of us were so far sidestage that we were behind the curtain and no one in the audience could see us!!!

So... he and I took advantage of that and took a brief break, grabbing a drink from the water cooler backstage and chatting with the show's emcee (I think it was George DelMonte). Then... drum solo was over, and it was back to the end of the line for us and back on the stage. LOL. Believe me, we got a few strange looks from some of the other horn players when we rejoined the ranks. :tongue:

• Like 2

So... since I'm the emcee for this Spring Preview concert, I'll be sidestage during the performances, but there is no water cooler. LOL.

• Like 1

>>>The one thing those Round Robin shows most definitely did not have was a great pre-show dinner, like the one at the Bucs' Spring Preview this and every year!!! :thumbup:<<<

Those Round Robin shows began in 1973 ... Hawthorne's was at Don Bosco HS ... Hurc's at the Klein in Bpt, ... Sun in Mineola or Massapequa? ... Sky's at the Westchester County Center ... not sure how long they lasted ... maybe 76 or 77? ... the afterglow parties were always better than the shows ... LOL ...

"Indoor Shows":

Bridgeport CT was the site of several indoor "Standstill" shows way back in the day. I remember St Raphael's show at the Klien in 1964 which was actually a standstll CONTEST that Blessed Sacrament won, and a a big junior-senior show at Notre Dame HS in early 1965 that included almost all the "City' units as well as the Connecticut Yankees.

There were most likely several more.... (Andy?)

With all the junior corps in Fairfield County, there was a bevy of competition color guards, and the parent units usually hosted a contest that would feature a standstill exibition by the corps. Bullard Havens HS was usually the venue for shows held by the PAL Cadets, St Ann's, and St Raphael's.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

83 Sunrisers indoor show ran from 10 am.with a contest for the 15 corps NorthEastern judged on stage,5pm a show case of parade corps Lamberville.Melrose Blackhawks,The Flames,Golden Eagles,Bills Boys,Kings Park Kingsmen,Aj junior corps from the Bronx and one other corps, 8PM Senior DCA Corps Defenders of Troy ,The first time .Bucs did the show Caballero's Skyliners, Hurs Matadors,Bushwackers and your host for the night the SUNRISERS.l think that was the last big show ever run it was at Huntington High School

Edited by Florida Sun

>>Bridgeport CT was the site of several indoor "Standstill" shows way back in the day. I remember St Raphael's show at the Klien in 1964 which was actually a standstll CONTEST that Blessed Sacrament won, and a a big junior-senior show at Notre Dame HS in early 1965 that included almost all the "City' units as well as the Connecticut Yankees.

There were most likely several more.... (Andy?)

With all the junior corps in Fairfield County, there was a bevy of competition color guards, and the parent units usually hosted a contest that would feature a standstill exibition by the corps. Bullard Havens HS was usually the venue for shows held by the PAL Cadets, St Ann's, and St Raphael's.<<

Good memory Elphie ... not too many other standstills that I can remember ... Hot Shots hosted one in 65 which saw a surprising St. Rocco's dump both St. Raphael's and the PAL ... your Royal Lancers were in the 64 show that BS won ...

Definitely a CG show almost every weekend at either Bullard Havens, Harding or Central HS ... Annual I&E shows at Stratford and the Condon Post (Troopers) ... and Earl Sturtze used to hold his own drumming competitions at St. Raphael's hall the Bpt Police

hall or St. Ann's ... lots and lots of good, healthy competition between the "yout" in Bpt ... and ... like we've said before, every night had a different corps rehearsing and the kids would caravan all over the place ... good thing for the parents that gas was only 15 cents a gal then!!!!

btw - St. Ann's is having a reunion at the Norden Club in August ... you going?

Man... the stuff we pulled back in the day. LOL.

One of my last years with Sun... 1981, '82, not sure which... the Cabs' indoor show was at William Patterson College. Great venue... the seating area sloped up and away from the stage, putting the fans up close to the action.

Anyhow.... my French horn comrade Marty Roche and I were on the end of one of the lines our horn line formed in our stage setup... and during the drum solo, the horns moved sidestage to give the audience a better look at the percussion section.

Horns went to parade rest, in view of the audience... but Marty and I realized that the two of us were so far sidestage that we were behind the curtain and no one in the audience could see us!!!

So... he and I took advantage of that and took a brief break, grabbing a drink from the water cooler backstage and chatting with the show's emcee (I think it was George DelMonte). Then... drum solo was over, and it was back to the end of the line for us and back on the stage. LOL. Believe me, we got a few strange looks from some of the other horn players when we rejoined the ranks. :tongue:

What I remember best was Westshore's indoor show in Harrisburg. Great show. After the show there was this great bar near the show site, oh god, there must have been at least 5 or 6 corps all showed up and the place was jumping. One of the best after show parties ever!

What I remember best was Westshore's indoor show in Harrisburg. Great show. After the show there was this great bar near the show site, oh god, there must have been at least 5 or 6 corps all showed up and the place was jumping. One of the best after show parties ever!

Serenade in Brass.

IMO, up there with the Skyliners' "An Evening With The Corps" shows on the all-time classic drum corps concerts list.

Good to see shows like the Spring Preview still giving fans a chance to catch some corps performances in the springtime!!!

Did we mention that Twin Valley High School... home of the Spring Preview... is a top-notch venue?

Yes, I think we did. LOL.

Since the topic of "standstill history" has been popular here, I wonder if there's anyone who can comment on the past Bucs' indoor shows at Reading's Rajah Temple? (This building is now the Santander Performing Arts Center.)

Anyone out there ever perform in the Reading standstill shows at the Rajah? Share your story and lets continue the discussion!

Since the topic of "standstill history" has been popular here, I wonder if there's anyone who can comment on the past Bucs' indoor shows at Reading's Rajah Temple? (This building is now the Santander Performing Arts Center.)

Anyone out there ever perform in the Reading standstill shows at the Rajah? Share your story and lets continue the discussion!

I attended the show in 1976..... from what I remember it was a two-corps format then, the Buccaneers and a guest corps. The guest corps that evening was the Sunrisers. GREAT show. Among other things, the corps each performed their repertoires and played a couple of tunes together. Those combined-corps tunes were very loud. LOL.

Got a chance to perform at the Rajah at the 1979 show, with the Sunrisers. It was a mutiple-corps format by then. I remember the acoustics at that venue were awesome!!!