Blue Knights 2016

RPK

Well, I'm telling you what, that is some of the most tasteful drum writing I've heard in a LONG time! Mike Jackson has been writing this style for several years now at BK and this small snippet of their book makes me incredibly anxious to see their whole show.

And their execution is excellent. Style is consistent and SO musical!

I'm liking this line A LOT!

• Like 1

I wish I was a percussionist so that I could appreciate this... Sounds like they're just hitting eight and sixteenth notes over and over again to me

Notice the palm trees in the background. That sure ain't Denver. I've heard 20th-hand that they import their battery from LA. I guess this might be Exhibit A.

Nah...

They just went there to practice...better weather than Denver, you know.

If they aren't already back home, they soon will be.

Notice the palm trees in the background. That sure ain't Denver. I've heard 20th-hand that they import their battery from LA. I guess this might be Exhibit A.

MJ is doing what Paul Rennick does with SCV, percussion move in where they reside, in this case Mike Jackson resides in SoCal. Right now or as of the recording of the video, there are located in Alvarado Intermediate School in Rowland Heights, Ca (20 miles east of Los Angeles)

Also a quote from Mike Jackson's FB Page: "BK SoCal move-ins...learning dots"

At what point does the battery join the horn line in Denver?

ADD:
So, do I have this right?
If I live in Denver and I'm in the BK battery, when spring training arrives, I need to buy myself a round-trip airline ticket to LA before I can join the rest of the corps in my own hometown? And if I live, say, in Illinois, I need to fly myself first to LA and then to Denver to complete the move-ins process?
If I have that right, it's like an additional off-season camp airfare expense for members of the battery.
Do members of the SCV battery do the same thing, flying out to the Rennick redoubt in Texas before joining the horns and guard in Santa Clara?
Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I wish I was a percussionist so that I could appreciate this... Sounds like they're just hitting eight and sixteenth notes over and over again to me

When I get home a little later I'd be happy to give you a primer, if someone else here doesn't before me. Believe me, with a little pointing you'll appreciate the tastiness of the writing.

If you haven't already, go compare it to the indoor vids of Cadets line playing Pines, and focus on the different style of playing the snares are using. The way they approach the drum head for things like crescendos and attacks/releases. It's night and day in those two examples (Cadets are tasty, too, in different charts)

When I get home a little later I'd be happy to give you a primer, if someone else here doesn't before me. Believe me, with a little pointing you'll appreciate the tastiness of the writing.

If you haven't already, go compare it to the indoor vids of Cadets line playing Pines, and focus on the different style of playing the snares are using. The way they approach the drum head for things like crescendos and attacks/releases. It's night and day in those two examples (Cadets are tasty, too, in different charts)

You'd probably do a lot better job than me describing it. But I agree. To me it's incredibly organic, understated, and nuanced. Tons of little goodies in there. Very unique take from what everyone else is doing. I feel like the front ensemble isn't on the same level as the drumline or they'd be scoring higher overall.