What to expect in a DCI/DCA season?

Hey guys,

Im marching my first season this summer with Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps. What are things that I should expect/know that will help my season go smoothly?

Edited by NotSoMello

Welcome to DCP (and drum corps, for that matter)!

I've been involved with two corps -- within DCI and DCA, respectively -- for about 13 years. No matter what advice you end up getting in this thread, one major caveat to keep in mind is this: every corps is different.

Some groups are intense and teach everything in a step-by-step manner. Other groups are more laid-back and sometimes teach things super fast before moving on to the next task. A lot of groups fall in the middle. Culturally speaking: some organizations strive to be as welcoming and friendly to new people as possible, whereas others can come off as rather cold to new members. I know a bunch of people who had bad experiences with one group, but moved on to another group and had a blast.

That being said, I don't know anyone currently involved with Alliance or if it's the same staff running it from years past, but everything that I've seen from them has been positive. They've always been a competitive group with some really cool shows under their belt.
Anyway, here's a few random bullet points of things to expect (at least from my experience):
- Even if you're shy, try to hang out with a vet or staff member at some point early in the season. Try to tag-along for a lunch or two. Ask them about expectations and experiences from previous years. You'll pick up way more useful info within your own corps.
- You'll get pushed outside your comfort zone, no matter what. Every rookie in every group goes through this at some point. The best way to mitigate that is to A) stay in reasonably good shape* ... and B) practice at home as if you're at rehearsal**
*You'll be asked to move around and breathe in a controlled manner for up to 12 minutes. Even doing something as basic as taking a 20-minute walk every day will help.
**Always practice your horn while standing (with good posture, relaxed shoulders, horn at 10 degree height, etc). USE A METRONOME (cannot stress that enough). If you want an honest assessment of yourself, record snippets of your practice on a smart phone > listen to it > repeat.
- Stuff that seems really hard in May/June can become second nature by August. The first full run of the year can seem like an absolute train-wreck, but if you work hard on your show and committing everything to memory, you'll start having fun with it in the late season.
- If you maintain a good attitude throughout the season, people will like you. If you're good, people will like you even more.
TL;DR - Bust your ### in the winter/spring so that you can have fun in August/September. Maintain a positive attitude, be open to critique, and have fun.
  • Like 3

During my time on tour as part of the volunteer/support staff of a top 12 corps, my experience was that the marching members become sort of a collective. I began to not see this member, or that member, as individuals, but each as one part of a whole. It's like the entire corps was one big family working toward one common goal. I've noticed that around early season right about the time we leave camp for the tour, that this sort of telepathic bond begins to form between the members. It was really....well I don't know how to describe it...i've never seen or experienced a group of people with this sort of relationship.

I wouldn't worry about fitting in, you will be assimilated and become one with the corps.

I don't know how else to describe it.

That may sound funny, but it's really the truth.

• Like 1

Having also done both sides of the activity for many years, the thing that is the most different, that really sets DCA apart, is also my favorite thing about it, especially as an instructor:

The "sense of urgency" in DCA dwarfs what it is in DCI.

For example, DCA corps have to triage and manage the rehearsal plan in a very different way than DCI corps do. If there is a problem, you can't take the approach of, "we'll hit this in sectional on Tuesday". There is quite literally not enough time to get everything done that you need to. You really pick and chose, and hit stuff on he fly a lot more.

Both ways are rewarding, just differently.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

Some advice from an old-school guy:

1. Have good attitude.

2. By the end of the season you will be in the best shape of your life

3. Expect to have at least 1 experience where you are yelled at harshly in rehearsal. It happens to everyone [i am not channeling She Who Must Not Be Mentioned (RAMD vets know what I am referring to)] - (some more than others - I recall one baritone that was considered a 'living tic') - Do not take it personally (see #1 above)

4. Pain is the weakness leaving your body.

5. Stay hydrated (BITD we did not have 45-second water breaks - that would have been a sign of weakness).

6. Stay healthy.

Have fun - in 35 yrs you will be where I am & give advice to a rookie

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

During my time on tour as part of the volunteer/support staff of a top 12 corps, my experience was that the marching members become sort of a collective. I began to not see this member, or that member, as individuals, but each as one part of a whole. It's like the entire corps was one big family working toward one common goal. I've noticed that around early season right about the time we leave camp for the tour, that this sort of telepathic bond begins to form between the members. It was really....well I don't know how to describe it...i've never seen or experienced a group of people with this sort of relationship.

Very well put - the needs of the individual are subjugated to the needs of the Corps - (Rondo said same at end of Brass Roots).

In successful Corps, the focus goes from me to We.

Very well put - the needs of the individual are subjugated to the needs of the Corps - (Rondo said same at end of Brass Roots).

Absolutely on the money.

I marched in a DCA championship-winning corps, back in ancient times. LOL. Anyone who joined who had a "me, me, me, I'm a superstar" attitude... well... they didn't last long.

I was a horn player, and our lines had some great performers and soloists... but even those top guns had a "we are all line players" attitude. It paid off.

Edited by Fran Haring

3. Expect to have at least 1 experience where you are yelled at harshly in rehearsal. It happens to everyone (some more than others - I recall one baritone that was considered a 'living tic') - Do not take it personally (see #1 above)

NO. DOUBT!

My rookie year, early in tour we had a show in my hometown and the staff rode me HARD that rehearsal! I can only assume we rehearsed a chunk of show I sucked at at the time, though back then I thought it was too odd of a coincidence they were acting like that in my home town (I thought maybe they were trying to ensure I wasn't sentimental and not concentrating at the task at hand). That was the one and only rehearsal of my two seasons of drum corps that I can recall being that intense at me, though obviously there were intense rehearsals for the full corps (and other individuals). It didn't really bother me much, other than the sense of WTF is going on all of a sudden. I don't remember the show that night or how we did: I just remember that specific harsh rehearsal! The Visual CH was also from the area, and I might've accidentally mentioned how cool it was to "be home" or something & they got the idea I was going soft or something.

But as a rookie, you're correct that it WILL happen at some point at the very least! It's a part of the learning process (mostly in the "learning how to rehearse properly and keep focused") and I remember on the bust after the show thinking, "well if I got through that without any real problems I'm gonna be fine." It was a rough day for reasons that other rough days were never rough like this: there was awful awful sunburn, shin splints, frustration, flat-out hard work, etc. but never before or after was there a rehearsal where I felt like I was singled out constantly and constantly 'ridden.'

• Like 1

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

• Like 1