Guard Class Selection - Opinions Wanted

Rocketman

Recently, I learned about a unit whose staff decided they would enter their guard at a regional (WGI) in a division for which they clearly did not belong, just so they could 'win' the show, (Which they did), because they have never won one in the class the usually compete in.

Perhaps it's just me but, I find this to be rather shallow. Surely the members had to know they were competing in a class with guards that were not on their level of competition! If their egos are so fragile, what would have happened if they had lost to a guard from the lower classification? Would this have ruined the rest of their season as they go back to the class they belong to at the local circuit?

I'm sure this isn't the only time this has happened. I just find it to be rather sad that the staff was more concerned about the 'win' than they were the performance.

Just my two cents, what are yours?

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 4

Recently, I learned about a unit whose staff decided they would enter their guard at a regional (WGI) in a division for which they clearly did not belong, just so they could 'win' the show, (Which they did), because they have never won one in the class the usually compete in.

Perhaps it's just me but, I find this to be rather shallow. Surely the members had to know they were competing in a class with guards that were not on their level of competition! If their egos are so fragile, what would have happened if they had lost to a guard from the lower classification? Would this have ruined the rest of their season as they go back to the class they belong to at the local circuit?

I'm sure this isn't the only time this has happened. I just find it to be rather sad that the staff was more concerned about the 'win' than they were the performance.

Just my two cents, what are yours?

Did they win by alot? Yes, the answer does make a difference.

Also had they been in a regional before this? When you also say the class they usually compete in. Is that locally you mean? That also can make a big difference.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Perhaps class is the incorrect word, division might be more appropriate. In the local circuit, they compete in a higher division, which they could have done at the regional, but choose not to in order to win.

As far as I know this was their first regional this season. They won by 4 points.

I went to a local show in 2014 and from the brochure the guards were listed as Exhibition, Novice, Independent A, Open Class, World Class. I went to a show last weekend which listed guards as Exhibition, Novice, Regional A, Independent A, Open with no guards in scholastic categories.

Someday I'll try to figure out the categories. Seems that many local guards continue without going to WGI finals? Interesting phenomenon of exponential growth. What if a local guard wants to go to WGI finals? How do they get there? How does class affect pockets of guards miles and countries away from Dayton? Thanks Rocketman!

Perhaps class is the incorrect word, division might be more appropriate. In the local circuit, they compete in a higher division, which they could have done at the regional, but choose not to in order to win.

As far as I know this was their first regional this season. They won by 4 points.

Many guards, will wait until WGI tells them they need to go up or in the right class. 4 points is not alot and can easily change especially in lower classes. I personally have had guards who went into championship week ranked in 15th or lower and got a medal. there are also local circuits that do not follow all Wgi criteria so guards can be in different divisions and nationally doesnt always reflect what is local.

Often newer guard staffs OVER estimate their guards talent as well as underestimate.

• Like 1

i thought WGI was trying to enforce that groups compete at the same class nationally as they do locally?

Didn't happen in this case. And they clearly should have competed in the next higher division.

according to who though? dont get me wrong YES there have always been those who just want medal BUT WGI at least in the past several years have weeded out those and put them where they belong. a 4 point win is not sending a message that they have a clear path to a championship. Ive seen much more than that in way of spreads ,and championship time they lost.

• Like 1