Hi there! What are you looking forward to for 2016?

To me, the best thing is that as of March 13, all 22 World Class corps and all 14 U.S. Open Class Corps that competed at Championships last year are back, plus we can add Louisiana Stars and Guardians to the Open Class lineup, and if Shadow from WI gets approval, they will be the 17th US Open Class Corps. Hopefully there will be International corps at Championships. Barring something unfortunate, there will be more competing corps at Lucas Oil Stadium this year than last year.

Soundsport is turning out to be one of the best decisions DCI has made.

Does anyone know of any International corps coming to compete?

To me, the best thing is that as of March 13, all 22 World Class corps and all 14 U.S. Open Class Corps that competed at Championships last year are back, plus we can add Louisiana Stars and Guardians to the Open Class lineup, and if Shadow from WI gets approval, they will be the 17th US Open Class Corps. Hopefully there will be International corps at Championships. Barring something unfortunate, there will be more competing corps at Lucas Oil Stadium this year than last year.

I expect both Lousiana Stars and Guardians to be in the hunt to make the top 25. Quarterfinals should be uber challenging this year.

I have not really seen anything on Soundsport yet but really do like the idea of smaller groups being able to compete.

It really has come down to that. I spent some time yesterday with my son and two of his friends who are also on the staff of his old HS. Turns out they won a big show and my son being the head tech beat his former instructor for BDB and HS.

I am really excited to see a lot of the local shows in the HS circuit.

• 1 month later...

Just bought my tickets and booked my hotel for Denton, and I guess Broken Arrow hasn't gone on sale yet. Was going to go to San Antonio, but I think I like this more. Going up to BA on Wednesday and driving down to Denton on Thursday. Get to see pretty much everyone and I love the outdoor environment.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I'll second the motion on Cavaliers show looking exciting this year. Just saw their repotoire over in the other thread. I'll get a chance to see them live in Denver, and am anticipating it greatly. SCV would be my other choice. Luckily, I will also get to see live in Denver. Just saw their birthday dinner teaser. 2015 was a show that grew on me, and was quite refreshing to see. A very different take with electronics, and done quite brilliantly. If it is an "earth" themed show that they give us this year, (I got a vibe from their music in that video that it was), I am also interested to see how Webers dril matches that theme.

But of all corps, I am anticipating what Bluecoats and BD put on the field the most. The last two years from these corps remind me of what Garfield and Cavaliers were doing visually in the 80's and what Star was doing for demand of book in the 90's: Shows that changed the game. On one side you have the great staging of the Blue Devils carving out a new path in visual design. On another path, The Bluecoats are doing the same but with sound and repotoire. I like this new and innovative style from both corps.

Side note- I have been catching up on some threads after not being on here in awhile. Read the Bluecoats are rumored to have a Metheny piece in their show?If so, I am all in. They have captured "a groove" in their music the past two years. In particular in their opening pieces. Shaker Loops reminded me a lot of a Madison or Crossmen style of groove , (especially in the part after the tuba feature)l Of course, Crossmen and Metheny go together like chocolate and peanut butter, but it will be interesting to see a Bluecoats take on his music too.

Lastly, I am anticipating Carolina Crown. Just saw their small clip from their camp. Playing Medea with the overlay of the western film piece, IMO, brilliant arranging. It leaves me wondering what other pieces will be part of this show, and how they all fit together for a theme. Should be a phenomenal brass book and brass sound (as usual) from this corps.

Its not to much longer till the movie theater premier. Counting down the days.....

Edited by Dmlkmen

Don't forget http://www.battalioncorps.org/ as a new OC corps that will compete this year in several shows and wearing some really sharp looking uniforms.

Agree, Ghost. Its a good thing whenever we learn of a new Corps that will make their way out to the field of competition for the very first time. We all wish them the very best !