Greatest Storytale Ending in DCI History

Brasso: I agree. I read how it was reported how Mr. Royer handled the matter. From the accounts I could see (limited info of course) he did it the right way. My assumption is that because he took appropriate action that no adverse action was taken by DCI. This would appear to be in direct contrast to the Muchachos situation. But, what the heck do I know! I'm getting all my info courtesy of the World Wide Web! But I certainly get the tale of 2 drum corps that you mention. By today's standard, in my opinion, the '89 situation would have been handled differently by DCI. Interesting contrasts at the least!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

The essential difference of course between the '75 Muchachos DQ in '75 is that they did not come forward with that info. The Cavaliers sprung the marcher overage use by the Hawthorne Muchachos to DCI leadership during Championships week in '75 ( DCI's Michael Boo can speak far more expertly on the timeline far better than I by the way, as he was a direct participant in the circumstances surrounding it in '75). DCI did what was required. DCI DQ'd the Hawthorne Muchachos from further competition at the '75 Finals ( as they should have, imo ). In '89, its true that SCV , to their credit, came forward themselves with the info of their unknowing use of 2 overage competitors, a mere few hours before all the teams were to take the field for Finals Night. That difference is so noted too, of course. But all that said, would any youth sport, or any other youth competition organization anywhere in the world allow a team that had... yes, even unknowingly... utilized ineligible competitors during the competition season, be allowed to continue on in the Championships after that information of the illegal use of competitors during the competition season came to light ? ( as in the case of SCV in '89 were allowed to do by DCI at Championships ? ) Not a chance. Absolutely no chance whatsoever, imo. Without much question, the team that had used illegal competitors during the season would have been immediately DQ'd from any further participation in their league's Championships.... just as the '75 Muchachos were by DCI in '75. But SCV was different. They were by 1989, DCI pedigree. And that, more than anything else, helps to explain why DCI decided to not similarly DQ SCV in 1989...(. or heck, not even give SCV even a 1 tenth penalty or anything at Championships in '89 for the use of overage marchers. ) Hey, it is what it is, life goes on, its no big deal. But it does demonstrate quite convincingly in my opinion that the notion that DCI competition is devoid of politics, is mostly naive. Of course, DCI has politics effecting the competition. This is just one example here. But we learn to live with it, brush it off, and just accept the fact that its always present and just learn to enjoy all the shows nonetheless. Ok... now on to other storytale endings from other years, Corps shows, or storytale finishes in placements, or Corps closers,,...........

Edited by BRASSO

True, though my favorite SCV Bottle Dance psych-out would have to be 1996 (the space show): they went into the whole build-up, and instead of the familiar slow thing the corps played "The Imperial March" complete with the cymbal crashes and everything (and guard in Vader masks IIRC)

Oh MAN, that was funny....and you forgot the guard was using neon orange bat'leths!

True, though my favorite SCV Bottle Dance psych-out would have to be 1996 (the space show): they went into the whole build-up, and instead of the familiar slow thing the corps played "The Imperial March" complete with the cymbal crashes and everything (and guard in Vader masks IIRC)

WHAT? How have I never seen this??? I don't suppose you have a link to that?

Not to get dark, but I'd say SCV 1999 had a storybook ending; to go from their uber tragic Spring to coming-from-behind and winning/tying for DCI Championship is pretty special.

Heck, we could say the late 1990's was the SCV Storybook Ending to the early/mid-90's. GR retiring and then passing away, Dr. Len taking over and trying to change up several things that didn't quite sit well with alumni and thus his first year as Director the corps started the season (1993) extremely below their standards (1993, especially percussion, could also be in the running for great 'Storybook Ending' on its own), the corps kind of settled between late summer 1993-1995, 1996 saw change in Director & staff that was meant to push SCV back to glory years, 1997 the corps roared back into Top 3 with a classic SCV show, 1998 saw the corps compete for Championship and beat Blue Devils Finals week for the first time in years (and the corps won percussion with a group of members who could not only drum VERY well but also knew how to have fun in Montreal :ninja::satisfied: ), and then overcoming tragedy to win DCI in 1999.

• Like 1

Here's my top 3 - off the top of my head:

1989 SCV: Phantom of the Opera - one of the best musicals ever put on the field. The vanishing Phantom at the end is pretty amazing.

2014 SCV: Scheherazade- as beautiful of a soft ending you'll ever see.

2008 Phantom Regiment: Spartacus - No one ever died so dramatically on the field - err podium.

Honorable mention:

2011 Phantom Regiment: Juliet - If "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" doesn't get your heart pumping, nothing ever will.

I concur with these. i really like the closing of BD 1997. Casablanca to a T.

I also have a soft spot for Madison 2013. When the alumni stood up in the stands to sing Never Walk with the corps performing on the field. Awesome moment.

But also 1999 Boston Crusaders. The looks on their faces when it was announced that they'd be in finals. Amazing.

Or the Blue Knight mellophone (i'm so sad i can't remember his name) that marched with one arm.

Edited by C.Holland

Maybe not the show itself, but the story surrounding the show...

Troopers 2009.

Maybe not the show itself, but the story surrounding the show...

Troopers 2009.

Ahhh yes. Both the show and the story surrounding that season. Coming into the corps in 2010 it was a big legacy to live up to and the veterans were all pushing for a higher finish.

We didn't get it, but I'll be darned if our hornline wasn't a step up in 2010 and we didn't work our butts off for what we got.

Also, speaking of 2009, probably one of the best Brandt Crocker introductions of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwb7gKp59M