Stories?

OK.... a bus story I can share without worrying about a statute of limitations...LOL...

This happened during the Sunrisers' trip to Midland, PA, in 1980 for a DCA show on July 4th weekend. A trip that generated several of the best "war stories" in our corps' history, most of which I won't put here, for the reasons stated in previous posts. :tongue:

Long story short... well into our trip home from that very long and very bizarre weekend, one of my friends and I realized that every time we'd reach into his cooler for a beer, just when it seemed that the cooler was completely empty... nothing but ice and water... we'd find another beer. Every time.

We dubbed it the Magic Cooler. :lol:

I mean, it was uncanny. Every single time we reached in, there was beer, against all odds.

Uncanny, you say? This cooler only contained bottles?

• Like 1

Rochester Crusaders 1990......Someone needed to Cooler Surf and wasn't paying attention to what coolers were in the aisle. He's surfing on top and he gets to one and you hear a noise of something breaking. The surfer stepped on a Styrofoam cooler!

Correct. :tongue:

My general advice these days to anyone currently in an all-age corps is... don't ever do what we did back in the day. LOL.

Yes that is true. Things have changed....but it admit it Fran, did anyone have more fun then we did?

• Like 1

Uncanny, you say? This cooler only contained bottles?

He's here all week, folks. :tongue:

Yes that is true. Things have changed....but it admit it Fran, did anyone have more fun then we did?

Hard to disagree with that. :tongue:

Of course, if I were involved with an all-age corps now, I'd be the old curmudgeon telling everyone to keep quiet and get some rest. LOL. And when I pack a cooler now, it's filled with water and Gatorade!!!

How about a plane story?

In 1968, the Sunrisers flew to Legion Nationals in New Orleans on a vintage DC-7 prop job, via a charter company called The Society of Sky Roamers. They won, but that's not the story.

On the way back to La Guardia one can imagine the party in flight, but that's not the story, either. After everyone had pretty much passed out, some of us noticed were were nosing down at a fairly acute angle and the engines were whining. There was no announcement from cockpit or crew, but it was clear something was wrong.

People began to wake up and finally the flight attendant came down the aisle directing everyone to fasten seat belts since we were making an emergency landing. There were panicked looks all around. Joe Verlezza, behind me, began saying Hail Marys. I woke my seat-mate, Jimmy Juliano, and said, "Get your seat belt on. We're making an emergency landing."

"OK", he replied, did so, and immediately went back to sleep. I remember thinking, "Man, this dude is one calm, cool customer".

We had almost overshot the Atlanta Airport which was the reason for the steep descent, but the problem was not with the aircraft. One of our members required medical treatment for a seizure brought on because he had failed to take his meds which were in the baggage hold. (He would be ok, but needed the drugs pretty quickly.)

When we got to to the ground and had taxied to the gate, Jimmy was still asleep. I shook him awake and we stood in the aisle waiting to deplane. He looked at his watch. "Jeez, that was quick", he said. "How did we get home so fast?"

I took him by the shoulders and said, "We're not home. We're in Atlanta. Like I said, we had to make an emergency landing".

He opened his eyes wide and shouted, "Emergency landing???!!!", as he promptly passed out.

So much for the cool customer...and that's the story.

• Like 4

I remember some of the corps performing Star Wars. Well, our busses performed MoonWars. Our 55 greyhounds were too slow to pass our rivals, but we put on a great show for them.

• Like 1

"...we put on a great show for them."

This tradition has a long and glorious history in drum corps and it was not just limited to "Frat Boys" types.

Indeed, the notorious tale is told of two highly competitive girls units, each a champion in its own right, passing alongside each other on the way to a show in the '70s , a significant number of the rascal-ettes from one group saluting their rivals in just such a manner.

Should that happen today, you may be assured of legal action and viral YouTube "exposure".