Brass Runs

I agree that they've become compulsory in today's design, but I don't want them going anywhere. Musically, it was the thing that got me hooked on the activity and put these corps on a super-human, how-the-eff-do-they-do-that level.

Their overall effectiveness is of course determined by the design. But if you're going to give me a choice between donuts and too-much-ink-on-the-page, I'll take the ink every time.

• Like 1

I agree that they've become compulsory in today's design, but I don't want them going anywhere. Musically, it was the thing that got me hooked on the activity and put these corps on a super-human, how-the-eff-do-they-do-that level.

Their overall effectiveness is of course determined by the design. But if you're going to give me a choice between donuts and too-much-ink-on-the-page, I'll take the ink every time.

I agree; like literally everything in our activity, when designed and performed well brass runs blow me away!

As long as they aren't "forced" into the book it is usually fine. And they can be much more impressive depending on how the brass is staged/what they are doing visually at the time.

Honestly they are a great effect and "wow" tool. Are they actually hard to perform and clean? Different for each situation... but there are many other much harder things like the whole ensemble attacking notes together that could be considered harder, or lining up syncopated and separated rhythms front to back.