The State of Drum and Bugle Corps

Oops, where is Horlik?

"Horlick Field":

Racine Wisconsin. It is one of THE most famous venues in drum corps. Alan Karls, retired DCI judge and Racine Scout has actually written a BOOK about it called "Drums Along the Foundry" giving the history of drum corps shows held there going all the way back into the 1950's.

Our cross town rival St Raphael's Buccaneers competed there in the Racine Scouts show in 1962 on their way to VFW Nationals in Minn MN.

Elphaba

IIRC Hershey Park Stadium went "wet" in the 80s or so. Pretty sure dry when it hosted DCA 79-80 and mid 80s. When I came back to corps in 2002 or so it was wet which was a shock to me considering Milton S Hersheys family friendly policy.

It would not surprise me one bit in the years to come that DCA has dry shows (no beer sales) like they do at HS football games and most college games. I would imagine if you are tying to attract a younger audience filled with mostly parents and young teens you don't want to have a lot of boozed up has been's in the stands drunk. Its for the children (Nancy Reagan)

you mean like DCI doesnt do at the big shows outside of Allentown which is a school stadium? I know they sell it in Indy

Hershey had no alcohol. Don't think Franklin Field did. Don't believe Allentown did. And this was back in the old days with the larger crowds showing up from 1977-1984.

Hershey would now and did have the beer sales open the last few years of the Spectacular. I mean I don't care either way, few stadiums sell Jack, so i usually drink water

Really the point is moot. Fans will go as long as the venue is clean and the contest well-run. The only gripe I have is that Scranton needs 3-4 more people in their food stands. They're losing a lot of sales of drinks and snacks as a result.

Hey elphaba... I have Alans book and it is a good one for corps history junkies like me.....

He is presently on FB posting old DC newspaper articles that he find somehow. Including some that I never heard of...

.Please. We must file all the history...and catorize the jenres...all with same discipline. Innovate! Make it really international other than that separate division. Judge more specific. Have a best historical corps catagory. Have A hybrid for the exploratory category.

Keep all of the ideas alive!!

.Please. We must file all the history...and catorize the jenres...all with same discipline. Innovate! Make it really international other than that separate division. Judge more specific. Have a best historical corps catagory. Have A hybrid for the exploratory category.

Keep all of the ideas alive!!

Can you be a bit more specific on each of your ideas?

"Horlick Field":

Racine Wisconsin. It is one of THE most famous venues in drum corps. Alan Karls, retired DCI judge and Racine Scout has actually written a BOOK about it called "Drums Along the Foundry" giving the history of drum corps shows held there going all the way back into the 1950's.

Our cross town rival St Raphael's Buccaneers competed there in the Racine Scouts show in 1962 on their way to VFW Nationals in Minn MN.

Elphaba

Boy that is a book I would like. I sure would like to see one like that about Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ What a lot of work that would BE.

(The Preview of Champions -- The Dream -- VFW Nationals -- World Open -- DCA Championships and MORE. Some time's THREE or more each year. With crowds of 20, 000 for each!!! Heck I am still in Morning of the loss.)

Edited by 2B or not 2B