Blue Devils 2016

From what I've seen and heard, I absolutely love this show and the music.

• Like 5

Just finish watching the video and i Fr33king love it! I was entertained!!!!! i waited a good while for BD to just do a full on drill show the way they do and i get it this year. am I smelling a three peat ? :) :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

I usually look at Family Night performances as the rehearsal prior to the first formal dress rehearsal. Lots of things missing such that it is a bit hard to determine what the show will really look like. It is especially difficult to judge how the show will play visually when the guard is in generic black and sets are just a bunch of old, undecorated rolling scaffolds. However, there were some aspects of the show that really stuck out. Musically, they sound very tight (in the good sense of the word) for this point in the season. Brass was incredibly powerful! Percussion was crisp and authoritative. And the corps is really moving. I'm not the one to discuss the finer points of music technique (being a totally visually oriented person) but I was impressed by the trombones in that they were both loud and distinct. I've read the comments about too many glissandos (my wife, the musician, explained that to me - neat word; I plan to use it five times tomorrow). I found them to fit well with the concept of a storm at sea, but maybe I'm thinking too literally here. In the long run, I think the show has great promise, but until I can see it in a more finished form (next week in Sac) and can see what other corps are offering, I can't say if I think it is the championship winning show. What I can say, however, is that it sure was great to hear and see some live drum corps again!

• Like 2

Re listened to it a couple more times. In terms of show design I think they have something pretty good going on here, dare I say special? I don't know though, it's still June after all. Musical pieces are flowing really well, some transitions are a bit shaky but that will definitely be fixed. Cape Fear seems to be the piece tying everything together, I like that. The spoken voice (poems) could be better integrated. Not sure about the vocal samples at the start of the duplo dance though it's very abrupt. Man I wish there was more Mishima! Hard to get a gauge on visual but man they are HAULING. Don't know anything about guard but they have a ton a cool features. Those staggered wave tosses looked very cool.

Also, I like reading the criticism. It would be pretty boring here if everyone agreed and loved everything.

• Like 1

I have been very sick with a lymph node infection but I came anyway. BD's hornline is the best I have ever heard! What an intense show. BDB also has their best hornline ever.

Also, I like reading the criticism. It would be pretty boring here if everyone agreed and loved everything.

DCP is so much better when BD is on top. The first few weeks of the 2011 season was boring when BD was consistently 3rd-4th. But when they caught and passed the Cavies after San Antonio and then won Atlanta, boy oh boy did DCP get fun again watching so many people b**** and whine. That's the DCP I know and love.

• Like 2

This show is so full of potential. I mean if that's the bare bones I can't wait to see what it becomes. I am getting that this could become something truly special. That brass line is killer. It's only June 18th and they sound like that!

• Like 1

Have to say, I'm not impressed, at all. Okay, well the guard looks amazing (per usual). There are some really cool guard effects throughout this show, but as a whole I don't find it very entertaining. I will also be curious to see it from up top to see what the drill looks like, but so far, not a fan.

Edited by henry7184