Blue Devils 2016

I need to see this BD show live again! One live viewing is not enough. I might have to make a last second road trip from Cali to Denver this Saturday. Wife is gonna be p****d and there will be lonely nights on the couch for me afterwards, but after seeing this show live last night, it might be worth it.

Ha!

The Denver show is great, but the couch? Ouch! Go for it!

The amount of trombone glisses and the Bieber section are just awkward to me.

It's a sound effect for storms. Goes perfectly with the 4-note "storm" motif throughout the entire show from Herrmann's iconic Cape Fear soundtrack.

I'll take it over some sort of synth stupidity.

I could take or leave the Bieber garbage for sure, though.

• Like 2

Fair enough. I can respect that. Just making sure it's not the patented blame the entire world when BD wins and overlooking the fact that BD straight up out performed Crown on finals night which they did.

chief , if you're wired into the current bd staff -- this is pretty easy to verify.

chief , if you're wired into the current bd staff -- this is pretty easy to verify.

Sadly idk anyone on BD's staff or anyone in the activity. Never marched and i don't have a ounce of musical talent in my bones. Just a huge fan of BD and the activity as a whole. That's why i hold each and everyone of you that have marched, taught, judged, etc in high regard. I can't do what you guys do and never will. Everything i have learned about this activity, i have learned from all of you on this site. And in all my years on DCP, I have just come to learn that when BD wins, some people will go to great lengths to say anything as to why BD won. I thought this was another one of those situations.

I saw this show at the Rose Bowl. The drumline is ridiculous. Pure and simple. Tenors, basses and snares. However, I don't understand modern show design. WIth some of the synth and narration parts, you can't hear the drumline very well because they're happening at the same time. Why call it a drum feature (or featurette) if it's hard to hear one over the other. Horn line is loud, in a good way.

However, it's a very busy show (as are most BD shows, I think). Many modern shows, both BD and others, are over-designed.

Maybe I'm an old-fogey, but I want to hear the music without many of the distractions that are being piped onto the field.

Have nothing but great things to say about the drumline, though. They're superior in every way.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I can respect that. Just making sure it's not the patented blame the entire world when BD wins and overlooking the fact that BD straight up out performed Crown on finals night which they did.

I don't agree with that statement fully but you're a fan so I gotcha.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that statement fully but you're a fan so I gotcha.

Has nothing to do with being a BD fan. I said Crown was gonna win in June 2013 when they came out west. They had the better performance than BD and deserved the win. Cadets deserved it over BD in 2011. PR deserved to pass BD for 2nd in 2006. I am not one of those fans who thinks my corps is 1st every year. BD won last year cause they had the better performance finals night and the least amount of weaknesses among the top corps. Not cause some judge gave it to them. I even know some Crown fans who said Crown didn't have the best finals run. Did Crown have a championship show? YES! But on the night it counted BD had the better run.

• Like 1

I wanted Crown to win last year really bad. Their semis performance might be my favorite DCI performance of the past decade. They were flat finals night from my POV. As I've said a few times on here, I wasn't a fan of INK at all.

• Like 1