Blue Devils 2016

Given last night's result, that statement is pretty ridiculous, whoever made it.

People are giddy with excitement that one of the darlings is going to possibly beat boring BD. I don't blame them for being super hopeful and optimistic.

• Like 1

Disagree; BD is going to have to out preform their show this year as they have the weakest design in the top 3. Odd position for them but there are a few big GE miss moments. Some I expect to be fixed as they are glaringly obvious others, doubtful as they are too ingrained in the show. Their staging dominance of the past is a liability plus there is a sense I’ve seen and heard this show from them before and with everyone else doing BD style shows this year, it’s seems stale and slow paced. Their design team phoned it in this year and now it’s up to the members to out preform their show

i'm surprised they didn't hire you as program coordinator

• Like 2

Disagree; BD is going to have to out preform their show this year as they have the weakest design in the top 3. Odd position for them but there are a few big GE miss moments. Some I expect to be fixed as they are glaringly obvious others, doubtful as they are too ingrained in the show. Their staging dominance of the past is a liability plus there is a sense I’ve seen and heard this show from them before and with everyone else doing BD style shows this year, it’s seems stale and slow paced. Their design team phoned it in this year and now it’s up to the members to out preform their show

Alright so that explains how, after 5 matchups with Bluecoats, BD has beaten them in GE 3 times, and after 5 matchups with Crown, BD has beaten them in GE 3 times and tied once.

Sorry but if they really had the worst design they would be consistently losing GE to the other top corps at every competition, but in reality GE has been a toss up at every competition, with BD winning GE at their most recent matchup with Bloo.

• Like 2

This another back seat driver review. Hey..if it makes them feel better then all to them. I've seen this postings tons of times on here thought out the years. And of course BD takes the GOLD!!!

The classic BD spin of I’m missing the details?

OK, I’m an idiot then, thanks

Have you seen the show live? I have. I ask because I’d like to know you perspective on reading the GE of the show.

Few obvious design issues, the flags being spun in the panels – busy fabric on busy fabric, lacks clarity, so sloppy (this is your thing, right?)

The white boat held up at the end is laughable – I expect it to be changed but any other corps doing a nautical show trying to drive home the theme at the climax /end by holding up a white toy boat would be laughed off the field and mocked...'look it's a boat...we just did a sea show...love me, I'm BD' ...more so since the boat is not the type we would have seen in the era of Shakespeare. Just saying, details matter, right? But hey, Blue Devils are deep…as deep as their Shakespeare theme which is grossly underdeveloped to being merely decorative. And the panels are poorly stage, why do they need to shrink the field, the lack of field coverage of BD should catch up to them. Will it?

BD’s staging became dated too. Crown has far better staging. Their visual has a complete macro-arc that follows the stage coach, thus journey across the field left to right, similar the Regiment 2010. Within that they feature sections, story and movements through traditional staging double bonus points. Their body work visuals much better support their theme.

Bluecoats have multiple stagings which lead to quick transitions, one set is being started as the other wraps up, the visual transitions are rapid fire, less down time. BD is still just staging feature to feature it seems s l o w, often detailing with the same tired visual moves from years past….the opening drill of a line running to their spot is re-used, as is chucking rifles from up high, as is their stutter skip step, as is their strut, as is carrying the guard member overhead (even the guard uni looks like their re-write /2013 outfit) then their one dimensional guard that once again explores the 5 types of sexy is so tried its bordering on insulting (it’s time to grow up BD,). So many of their effects are copped from their other shows, they fail as unique effects. Over all, the BD show strikes me as the Cadets Christmas show…nothing new, just a repackaged production hacked together with a new coat of paint / theme; Sexy Guard Steam Boats in Shakespeare smocks, Awesome !!!

yawn

Whilst i don't agree with all this and certainly wouldn't have written it as bluntly as this, there are some valid points in the post. I do feel that BD doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as Crown or Bloo and I think they need to keep exploring new avenues - not because they won't win a gold medal but because they are starting to feel 'old' compared to the risks that are taken by Bloo (IMHO)

• Like 3

Whilst i don't agree with all this and certainly wouldn't have written it as bluntly as this, there are some valid points in the post. I do feel that BD doesn't look anywhere near as fresh as Crown or Bloo and I think they need to keep exploring new avenues - not because they won't win a gold medal but because they are starting to feel 'old' compared to the risks that are taken by Bloo (IMHO)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I love their current style and would love them to stay in this direction as long as possible

• Like 1

Been a BD fan since the early 1970s... and if things work out, I am finally going to get a chance to watch them rehearse. Next week...I cannot wait!!!

• Like 2

So long Pete! I love 360 Thursdays but this one was sad. The explanations of the show make it so much more interesting to watch. Truly wonderful to witness.

• Like 1