Blue Devils 2016

BD always wants to lean into esoteric ideas, which is cool. I remember someone saying to me that there are worse things than bringing Fellini and Shakespeare to a high school audience, and after thinking about that a lot, I have to concede. It is, shall I say, admirable that the designers at BD specifically shoot to the left of center conceptually, and trust that their perfectionist way of executing will deliver.

lol wait i think that was me! Anyway we agree - it's a great show and the dancing isn't... the best thing BD has ever done.

But i also just have learned to concede that drum breaks are never a high point for design. Never have been, never will be.

I don't know what to call it. There is a segment midway through where the music becomes aggressive and dark and "death metal" like. I'm not trying to be derogatory, it's the only way I know how to describe it. It may be your favorite part of the show for all I know, I just find it to be the one miss in a nearly perfect show. Perhaps there are others here who were at the show who have a different view of it.

I was ready to really dislike the tarp, but it was the best staged idea of the night. Simple idea executed in a hugely successful way. And nothing succeeds like success, the crowd was blown away.

It's supposed to be aggressive and primitive. It's a part of the Tempest.

I'd suggest the ballad for BD is a wow moment, but that's just me.

Yes. When I heard it live in Warrensberg, MO I was a giant goosebump.

Again, stop using death metal. There's nothing death metal about it and I'm not sure where you're getting it from

Lots of people are taking it that way.. comments were made around us at the Warrensburg show.. if they aren't familiar with Tempest, and the exchange between Prospero and Caliban.. The soundbyte BD uses, as Caliban says "this is MY island" sounds a little like a deathmetal band.. sorry.. it just does

Edited by mellojay84

Lots of people are taking it that way.. comments were made around us at the Warrensburg show.. if they aren't familiar with Tempest, and the exchange between Prospero and Caliban.. The soundbyte BD uses, as Caliban says "this is MY island" sounds a little like a deathmetal band.. sorry.. it just does

Clearly no one has actually listened to death metal lol. Does not sound like that

Clearly no one has actually listened to death metal lol. Does not sound like that

I'm just saying it has that feeling about it.. I know what death metal is.. and I agree with you.. even though I knew exactly what it was and the way those lines are delivered in Tempest... it still struck me as having the "feel" of a death metal vocalist