Blue Devils 2016

now go away and join your hate threads.

same little punks every year.

Lol dude relax, you should be used to it by now. Let them say what they want to say, it's not worth getting angry over nor is it taking anything away from how awesome this year's BD show is.

• Like 1

To illustrate a point, I can take a counter-stab at it.

BD, who has used an enormous amount of straight lines and block forms in recent years, has virtually none in this show. Everything is curved to reflect the flow of water. Other formations include hurricane shapes, waves coming to shore and and eye of the storm. The opening wave body work is the most ambitious, and well-executed unison dance move they've ever attempted. It is fantastic, well-performed, extremely clever and clearly communicates its intent. They've done extensive work on improv movement, and when the horns run or transition in clusters, they are acting out moving through water, with the appropriate visual weight. The trombones have an entire section where they run and "row" with their horns, to further churn the intensity of the storm.

For a corps that has extensively used white and/or PVC props in the past, the only holdover is one little boat, as the color makes it extremely clear to see from a distance. The map props could have been straight stock images of maps. Instead they are colorful and interesting compositions. The artwork is repeated on the front of the guard costumes, which also feature an unusual red accent on the knees, which very much highlights leg movement. The rear of the props is black to provide a clear base color to deliver the horn players when they are turned in sequence, much as they would on a stage. The silk designs play into the storm theme and the colors all pop, but also work seamlessly with the blue and aqua. Since they added the through-the-prop spins, the one silk is too busy, but let's see what happens with that. The Chandler-favorite fuchsia, used virtually every year, is nowhere to be seen.

The Shakespeare-inspired sleeve and ascot are the most extensive modification they've ever made to the main corps uniform.

Streamers on the sabers are used to spectacular effect. And on and on.

In contrast, one could say, Crown has done a minor adaptation of their several-year-old uniform, complete with a strange interpretation of the hat more appropriate for welcoming you to Munchkinland, than the old west. The guard costumes are beautifully detailed, but designed for close inspection, rather than visual pop from a distance. Everything is earth tones, bronze, gold, lush warmth, and much like 2010, very hard to see on the green field. Resulting impact from the guard is greatly diminished from 2015.

The overall staging of the corps is very similar to past years, with generic transitions from set piece to set piece, and numerous multiple-line blocks, created to let the horns stand in place, while they shift weight to different feet, stand on one leg, point, squat, and otherwise pose. The movement from left to right is not that dramatic and the buggy in the back becomes uninteresting a few minutes into the show. You know the direction it is moving and you expect the Crown-patented happy ending. The show is devoid of surprise and the tango section kills any momentum built in the opener. The pacing of the show is not that different from 2014, with a paper-thin story overlay. 2015 was far more interesting from a staging, intrigue and communication standpoint, especially the part with the red scrim!

So, what have I illustrated here? "Stale" is totally based on individual preferences. The top corps are exceptionally good, and no matter the detail of the explanation, a particular style or approach is only "stale" to the observer if they weren't a huge fan of the approach in the first place, and have lost interest in seeing it evolve naturally.

Wow such an awesome post! You articulated my thoughts 1000x better than I could

• Like 3

To illustrate a point, I can take a counter-stab at it.

BD, who has used an enormous amount of straight lines and block forms in recent years, has virtually none in this show. Everything is curved to reflect the flow of water. Other formations include hurricane shapes, waves coming to shore and and eye of the storm. The opening wave body work is the most ambitious, and well-executed unison dance move they've ever attempted. It is fantastic, well-performed, extremely clever and clearly communicates its intent. They've done extensive work on improv movement, and when the horns run or transition in clusters, they are acting out moving through water, with the appropriate visual weight. The trombones have an entire section where they run and "row" with their horns, to further churn the intensity of the storm.

For a corps that has extensively used white and/or PVC props in the past, the only holdover is one little boat, as the color makes it extremely clear to see from a distance. The map props could have been straight stock images of maps. Instead they are colorful and interesting compositions. The artwork is repeated on the front of the guard costumes, which also feature an unusual red accent on the knees, which very much highlights leg movement. The rear of the props is black to provide a clear base color to deliver the horn players when they are turned in sequence, much as they would on a stage. The silk designs play into the storm theme and the colors all pop, but also work seamlessly with the blue and aqua. Since they added the through-the-prop spins, the one silk is too busy, but let's see what happens with that. The Chandler-favorite fuchsia, used virtually every year, is nowhere to be seen.

The Shakespeare-inspired sleeve and ascot are the most extensive modification they've ever made to the main corps uniform.

Streamers on the sabers are used to spectacular effect. And on and on.

In contrast, one could say, Crown has done a minor adaptation of their several-year-old uniform, complete with a strange interpretation of the hat more appropriate for welcoming you to Munchkinland, than the old west. The guard costumes are beautifully detailed, but designed for close inspection, rather than visual pop from a distance. Everything is earth tones, bronze, gold, lush warmth, and much like 2010, very hard to see on the green field. Resulting impact from the guard is greatly diminished from 2015.

The overall staging of the corps is very similar to past years, with generic transitions from set piece to set piece, and numerous multiple-line blocks, created to let the horns stand in place, while they shift weight to different feet, stand on one leg, point, squat, and otherwise pose. The movement from left to right is not that dramatic and the buggy in the back becomes uninteresting a few minutes into the show. You know the direction it is moving and you expect the Crown-patented happy ending. The show is devoid of surprise and the tango section kills any momentum built in the opener. The pacing of the show is not that different from 2014, with a paper-thin story overlay. 2015 was far more interesting from a staging, intrigue and communication standpoint, especially the part with the red scrim!

So, what have I illustrated here? "Stale" is totally based on individual preferences. The top corps are exceptionally good, and no matter the detail of the explanation, a particular style or approach is only "stale" to the observer if they weren't a huge fan of the approach in the first place, and have lost interest in seeing it evolve naturally.

Visual presentations aside I really think this year is going to come down to music performance and mostly GE. If anything BD actually feels a little stale musically this year, compared to several other corps. Performance wise they are stellar as usual but can't shake the feeling this vehicle is going to plateau before finals. Hope I am wrong but this year has just not grabbed me yet, whereas both Crown and especially Bluecoats have those wow moments musically.

an occasional post is one thing but several pages is really messed up. look and you never see me critical on if even any post on their threads. i expect once in awhile but 6 or 7 pages of this is not cool esp. when i have no use of my right side and type one handed

15 years i try to be cools i can but come on. enough.

i could easily p off the whole board but i stay sway from those threads. i still get my once a year suspension but try to be civil. don't push me and ill be cool too.

There are a lot of pages here, so apologies if I missed it, but can someone give me a quick explaination or point me in the direction of one for what the girls in blue during the ariel section are supposed to symbolize?

There are a lot of pages here, so apologies if I missed it, but can someone give me a quick explaination or point me in the direction of one for what the girls in blue during the ariel section are supposed to symbolize?

Ariel body movements.. the unique way Ariel moves. Go watch Inside BD360 Season5 episode 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4b1qnrWUk