Blue Devils 2016

I was specifically listening for Bieber so I am almost positive it is gone, but the dance break...sorry, just me, but I hated it. And so did a lot of other people. When you are sitting on the opposite 35 yard line and you can hear people snickering around you, not good.

Again Jmho. It is a rock solid show other than that 60 seconds. But the death metal part was so obviously pandering to me.

Not sure where you're hearing death metal, but I agree that it is jarring.

• Like 1

Not sure where you're hearing death metal, but I agree that it is jarring.

It's not just jarring, it feels arrogant. Like, we are so artistic and cool that we can do a death metal dance break in the middle of a Shakespeare show and we don't even care if you get it.

Other than that I loved it, and oddly, I loved most of the things people have criticized. The tarp was amazing. I'm not thrilled with the opening boat idea but the crowd loved it and got it. Ballad was cool,perfect circle, just wished there was more big corps playing and less rolling around in the turf.

It's not just jarring, it feels arrogant. Like, we are so artistic and cool that we can do a death metal dance break in the middle of a Shakespeare show and we don't even care if you get it.

Other than that I loved it, and oddly, I loved most of the things people have criticized. The tarp was amazing. I'm not thrilled with the opening boat idea but the crowd loved it and got it. Ballad was cool,perfect circle, just wished there was more big corps playing and less rolling around in the turf.

Again, stop using death metal. There's nothing death metal about it and I'm not sure where you're getting it from

• Like 1

some people might call this post arrogant

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

Again, stop using death metal. There's nothing death metal about it and I'm not sure where you're getting it from

I don't know what to call it. There is a segment midway through where the music becomes aggressive and dark and "death metal" like. I'm not trying to be derogatory, it's the only way I know how to describe it. It may be your favorite part of the show for all I know, I just find it to be the one miss in a nearly perfect show. Perhaps there are others here who were at the show who have a different view of it.

I was ready to really dislike the tarp, but it was the best staged idea of the night. Simple idea executed in a hugely successful way. And nothing succeeds like success, the crowd was blown away.

Yeah i also don't get where "death metal" is coming from. (Or how hip hop dancing is considered arrogant for an activity that has put Wagner and Shostakovich on football fields to no complaint - but that's another story)

I don't think there's anything to "get," tbh. The Tempest is set on an island in either the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Caliban is an island creature. So: they dance to island music, with a Caribbean flavor. I think that's as deep as it gets? Honestly it feels harmless to me - less arrogant than silly/fun. But no, not a high point in the show at all, people are right on that point.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Yeah i also don't get where "death metal" is coming from. (Or how hip hop dancing is considered arrogant for an activity that has put Wagner and Shostakovich on football fields to no complaint - but that's another story)

I don't think there's anything to "get," tbh. The Tempest is set on an island in either the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Caliban is an island creature. So: they dance to island music, with a Caribbean flavor. I think that's as deep as it gets? Honestly it feels harmless to me - less arrogant than silly/fun.

Above all, The Tempest is about creativity and the unlimited power of the imagination. It was a paradigm-busting, fantastical work by the bard.

I look at the show, and see a nice balance of the literal and the figurative. The dance section isn't my favorite, but I get it for the show. I do wish that the Miranda quote were done differently, though. lol.

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything to "get," tbh. The Tempest is set on an island in either the Caribbean or Mediterranean. Caliban is an island creature. So: they dance to island music, with a Caribbean flavor. I think that's as deep as it gets? Honestly it feels harmless to me - less arrogant than silly/fun. But no, not a high point in the show at all, people are right on that point.

BD always wants to lean into esoteric ideas, which is cool. I remember someone saying to me that there are worse things than bringing Fellini and Shakespeare to a high school audience, and after thinking about that a lot, I have to concede. It is, shall I say, admirable that the designers at BD specifically shoot to the left of center conceptually, and trust that their perfectionist way of executing will deliver.

And it almost always does.

Not everything works, and not everything works for everyone. Overall, I was as blown away as I had expected to be by Bluecoats, but give great credit to BD. For me, it's not Ink or Felliniesque, but it's a darned good show.

Check that, it's a great show. Could win gold, but based on what I saw in Nashville, I predict they win silver with a decent margin over Crown.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1