Edited/censored material in DCI 2015 Blu-Rays?

Even if BK made their own sample of "Because," you can bet it still would have had to have been cut.

I was about to say, even sampling copyrighted words (like movie scripts) or songs (like "Because" or Bowie's delivery from "Nature Boy") would still have its own copyright issues. Possibly less complicated, but still potential sync rights issues

Even if BK made their own sample of "Because," you can bet it still would have had to have been cut.

Of course it would have, it's still a copyrighted phrase. But they could have written their own material (not that they should have...I loved what they did. They just did it knowing full-well it probably wouldn't be on the DVD).

they do have those rights to perform. you cannot play a show without them. DCI won't let you.

the rights to sync to video and redistribute are a different entity (mechanical rights). Those are required of whomever is distributing the dvd's.

Edited by C.Holland

It all brings me back the rule I'd love to see... can't play it if you didn't get full rights to it. Rescinded rights aside, I don't know how this is bad for the industry.

There is a difference between arranging rights and performance rights, and synch rights, as you well know. Synch rights are not the responsibility of the corps (excepting, of course, cases where they plan to create and distribute their own media).

• Like 2

Its a shame the Drum Corps fan base is so small. if it was a large fan base, it would have more economic and political clout in these disputes with Musicians Publishing Co. Lawyers. Imagine if a large customer base simply decided not to buy any more of a musician's works, nor attend any of their future concerts. These types of economic boycotts... that oftentimes borders on blackmail, extortion.... have had Corporations lawyers knees wobble many a time. Once a Musician believes that a decision thats made may potentially hurt them in their wallets, its amazing how a Musician's claim to " Copywrite full Protections " can become negotiable. Regrettably however, DCI has little to no political leverage, as it has no high priced lawyer lobbyists working on its behalf. Frankly DCI is thus much too small an organization to exert any political pressures at all.

Edited by BRASSO

Its a shame the Drum Corps fan base is so small. if it was a large fan base, it would have more economic and political clout in these disputes with Musicians Publishing Co. Lawyers. Imagine if a large customer base simply decided not to buy any more of a musician's works, nor attend any of their future concerts. These types of economic boycotts... that oftentimes borders on blackmail, extortion.... have had Corporations lawyers knees wobble many a time. Once a Musician believes that a decision thats made may potentially hurt them in their wallets, its amazing how a Musician's claim to " Copywrite full Protections " can become negotiable. Regrettably however, DCI has little to no political leverage, as it has no high priced lawyer lobbyists working on its behalf. Frankly DCI is thus much too small an organization to exert any political pressures at all.

You're not wrong, but in the case of DCI i think it's really more a matter of cost vs value.

It's one thing for DCI to secure the rights to a major work in a corps' show, but for smaller and shorter bits, the cost may simply not be worth it. I've seen what the cost requirements are for arranging/performance rights for some music, so I shudder to think what the costs are to secure synch rights. Additionally, as we've discusses earlier in the this and other threads, those small vocal samples don't come cheap either (and are in many cases far more expensive them music). So it's no surprise when they get dropped from the CD.

I find it somewhat interesting that Drum Corps in other parts of the world are under no restrictions whatsoever to US Copywrite rules ( nor should they be, imo... as thats for their own Country to determine for themselves).

For example, if a start up Drum Corps in say.... the Philippines..... decided to call themselves " The Concord, Calif, Blue Devils ", there is absolutely nothing to prevent them from doing so. in essence, they could play the entire musical book of any year of DCI's Blue Devils ( or any other DCI or DCA Corps for that matter ) and DCI nor DCA could not stop them from doing so. This Phillipine based Drum Corps could play any music from any US composer, from any era ,from any genre of music, and without restriction.... and not pay anyone a dime.

To add some realism to this point, if one goes on youtube, one can see that there is actually a name grab by a Philippines based Drum Corps from one of DCI's former icon Corps.... " The 27th Lancers ". The DCI based former 27th Lancers Drum Corps has the naming rights that legally can prevent the unauthorized use of its name here in the US ( and has even exercised that legal option in court to prevent a US based Corps from utilizing its name, " 27th Lancers ". )But that legal right does not extend to all locales outside of the US where US laws sometimes have no legal standing there. As result, this " new " " 27th Lancers " Drum Corps from the Philippines today does exist, and could, for example, play " Danny Boy ", or something from composer John Williams, and neither DCI nor Williams could do a thing to legally stop them from doing so. The " new " 27th Lancers can... and do...play " Rocky , the theme from " Superman ", etc and similar, and pay no mind to US copywrite laws, nor pay any composers of these songs anything at all for their compositions. I do find this a bit interesting.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The corps/DCI are part of the exhaustively long list of victims of the music business and it's inability to adapt to changes/shifts in how music is distributed, arranged, performed and heard. The music industry, on the business end, basically still operates as though we're still living in the golden age of radio, and will not hear otherwise...and it hurts EVERYONE involved, even the industry labels themselves to some extent, but they're too busy cutting off their noses to spite their faces to take note.

This is just something we'll have to get used to until something radical shifts in the landscape (I'm not holding my breath).

The corps/DCI are part of the exhaustively long list of victims of the music business and it's inability to adapt to changes/shifts in how music is distributed, arranged, performed and heard. The music industry, on the business end, basically still operates as though we're still living in the golden age of radio, and will not hear otherwise...and it hurts EVERYONE involved, even the industry labels themselves to some extent, but they're too busy cutting off their noses to spite their faces to take note.

This is just something we'll have to get used to until something radical shifts in the landscape (I'm not holding my breath).

I don't know if "victim" is the proper term for a group not wanting to pay high prices for syncing rights to sell merchandise. It's unfortunate, and as a DCI alum/fan who lives in Southern CA w/out the means to travel across-country to see Regionals or Championships, Fan Network was a GREAT way to keep involved and watch drum corps throughout the summer. It is a shame that option is no longer available outside of the "see it live on the live stream or you're out of luck," but that's where we are right now. It a perfect world rights holders would charge a reasonable fee and DCI could afford to deliver the services we've known/loved for awhile now, but I honestly don't begrudge artists & rights holders wanting to get compensated for their art