LGBT laws and drum corps?

I wonder if there would be any boycotting and of course why not?

It seems like we have the most to lose from our brothers and sisters in the LGBT community. Where would we be without them?

I am not offering any opinions on the subject I just want to know your feelings on the matter. Should certain shows not take place?

I think it's just plain dumb to cancel a show because lawmakers pass ignorant laws. The performers that have made these grand "statements" are only taking money out of their own pockets and denying fans the opportunity to watch them perform. I sincerely hope DCI stays out of the political grey area.

• Like 3

I wonder if there would be any boycotting and of course why not?

It seems like we have the most to lose from our brothers and sisters in the LGBT community. Where would we be without them?

I am not offering any opinions on the subject I just want to know your feelings on the matter. Should certain shows not take place?

.............and what? Harm the performing arts activity?

The exact activity which is the most supportive of the LGBT community!

That's akin to a self-crucifixion.

• Like 1

Once DCI decides to boycott a show to make some sort of political statement, it opens the Pandora's Box to have other future political statements being made with a boycott on other issues that perhaps the entire DCI Community does not agree with either. What if states residents vote for a political candidate some of us don't care for ? Should we think of boycotting shows in those states too ? DCI is already WAYY too small an activity to even begin to attempt to stake out a political position vis a vis, a political " boycott ". Besides, such a political boycott of....... in this example..... shows in Mississippi.... will not positively effect the State of Mississippi, one iota, but it sure could economically hurt the sponsoring show people in this state that utilize their show as a fund raiser in their community.

• Like 1

That's kind of the *point* of a boycott - cancelling shows hurts local revenue which causes pressure up the chain to change their stance. From the NFL to Disney to Bruce Springsteen, it's all about using the threat of money to enact reform.

For DCI, I guess it all depends on how much the corps care about an issue one way or the other. Eventually there might be one they do feel hits close to home. (Of course, I write this from the state probably most likely to be boycotted thanks to social laws / issues...)

Mike

• Like 2

The last time we had States boycotting other States, it was known as the American Civil War.

Gettysburg, et al. bear the witness of those brutal times. God spare us from a return to that.

If Carolina Crown was to pull its show from Wake Forest (which is in North Carolina,) Carolina Crown would be sacrificing a significant source of its funding and fan base.

Edited by xandandl

2 DCI Corps are seemingly stuck in the past and still deny woman the right to march in their Corps. If this is not gender discrimination, then I don't know what is. Even the once flourishing All Female Corps have either gone or are now fully gender tolerant and inclusive. Should DCI make a " political statement " here as well that diversity should be encouraged now in these only 2 remaining All Male Only Drum Corps ? And if they don't, DCI should consider a " boycott " of these 2 Corps ?

As you can see, once we begin to take sides on what clearly are political, religious, social, cultural etc issues, we tend to wind up only dividing ourselves here with this stuff. I say, let a state residents do what they want and let the residents there figure out for themselves what they want their state to look like..... and similarly, allow the 2 Corps that still disallow women to march to do what they feel is best for themselves in their Corps as well. A " boycott " is a very bad idea for consideration for DCI and only opens DCI up themselves for a counter future " boycott " on DCI's own vulnerabilities to so called " progressive " 21st century thinking. Sometimes its just good, sound " politics " to just let sleeping dogs lie, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2