LGBT laws and drum corps?

forget Springsteen for a moment.. I wonder now if James Taylor is goin' to ' Carolina in his mind.

Haven't read all the pages but what about places like PA which does not have LGBT as protected. We have gay marriage but you can get legally fired if the boss/owner finds out.

Haven't read all the pages but what about places like PA which does not have LGBT as protected. We have gay marriage but you can get legally fired if the boss/owner finds out.

Once " The Boss " finds out about the repression of LGBT rights and the recent defeat of LGBT favored Bills in Parliament in Australia ( far, FAR, more repressive environment for the LGBT community than the state laws of North Carolina), we can expect that he'll cancel his upcoming scheduled concert in Australia in 2016 too.

Or perhaps not.

Edited by BRASSO

And as regards your final statement, how can you tell now whether any given man in the men's restroom or any given women in the women's restroom is a pedophile? (Yes, the latter is much less common, but it does happen.)

There have been several very attractive female teachers who made the national news with there activities with teen age boys.

My two older brothers had the privilege of marching with Little Falls for the corps' last season in '68.

OK... maybe not so much of a privilege, because the corps pretty much sucked that year. :tongue:

I remember the Colleens!!! You're right, they were terrific. Was that Mary Deniston's guard?

Yup, and her husband Cal as well.

In that era, indoor guards used live drum music, so when I marched with a GSC corps, the Imperial Guardsmen, the drumline accompanied the guard to indoor shows and stood on the sideline and played street beats and stuff while the guard performed.

We would hang out in the cafeteria of the various schools, schmoozing with other drummers, and go watch a few of the top guards...the Colleens being one of the few we would check out. Fun times!

I got a kick out of the fact an All Female Drum Corps once finished 2nd ( and only just 2, 3 tenths of winning the Championships ) at a National Championship among the best Drum Corps in the country at the time... and topped several All Male Drum Corps and Co-Ed Drum Corps in both the Prelims and Finals ( some names of Corps, most of us here would know the names of too today.). Clearly, when it comes to " sex ", this All Female Drum Corps at the time was not " the weaker sex " when it came to doing Drum Corps... even back then.

MikeD poster.. if he reads this.. will even confirm( I believe) that even many in the the winning Corps at this National Championships even thought this All Female Drum Corps got shafted and should have won it outright.... but the All Male judges ( and the Male dominated organization itself ) wern't quite ready at the time ( mid 1950's ) to have an All Female Drum Corps as its National Champion.

Yes, it was in the 50's, so before my time, but from everything I have heard and read, the Bon Bons should have won Nats.

Not sure if it is myth or not BUT i do remember competing with them and yes it was not a separate class. As far as the decline, as I remember the directors it would not surprise me at all. they were good but BOY they were tough.

Funny, you can tell how times changed by looking at pics of the Bon Bons from the 50's through the early 70's...their skirts got shorter and shorter (but never TOO short) as time progressed into the 70's. :tounge2:

• Like 1

Typical Hater Response

And maybe you should let your kid grow up and stand on her own two feet.

EDIT: Momentary lapse of sanity.

Edited by mingusmonk

To reiterate, emphasis added:

keep it civil, keep it relevant to drum corps, keep the need for our intervention at a minimum, and the discussion can continue .... thanks!

Why is civility valued over kindness? I still haven't recovered emotionally from some of the brutally mean things that were implied by comments made in a supposedly civil manner the last time you decided this was a good idea.