LGBT laws and drum corps?

What I've observed on these laws and company positions--and I've paid very close attention: Corporations that have large employment bases in these states that are pro-diversity will sometimes send letters to governors or legislators. Sometimes they will announce they aren't going to expand or relocate there. (a real monetary impact)

Looks like more state leaders are speaking out and asking their employees to not travel to those states (A symbolic protest)

DCI isn't a large employer and doesn't have political clout, like the NFL does. DCI also doesn't have the resources to spend publicizing their objection. The most I would expect to see is a statement on their website if they decide to voice their disagreement with the laws where they have shows so that patrons understand the position and they would probably add their desire to ensure those patrons weren't negatively affected by the laws.

My 2 cents.

Just curious. What would bother you more? A man who is transitioning (taking hormones, dresses and looks like a woman but has not had the surgery yet) or a woman in the same state of transition. Based on your statement, the one with a ##### is not allowed, even though they likely have no interest in your daughter. Even if they did like women, being LGBT does not make someone a pedophile (most are heterosexual, actually).

It seems pretty simple to me, I won't take the chance that someone impersonates a transgender just to get access to some "Man / Women / Girl / Boy". If you don't think the potential is there you'd be kidding yourself.

I'd counter that if you think a sign with Men or Women is going to stop a sexual predator, you're fooling yourself.

• Like 1

So while we wait for history to move on, I'll repeat something I said in the Indiana thread: we are all part of a trend whose end, I think, is foreknown. Nothing DCI or any corps can do, no statement they make or action they take concerning this (in my opinion) misguided law, will have any immediate impact on that history. What DCI and the corps can best do is continue to do is be welcoming and tolerant.

You may very well be correct in your assessment. However, there is nothing wrong in trying. Personally, I believe in the dictum "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

ok maybe we can bring it back to drum Corps so this can stay a topic. YES all of these valued opinions of the overall subject does affect our activity BUT according to the rules here maybe get it back to specifics as far as relating to drum corps or situations. I for one think it all connects but there is a way to stay with drum corps and still discuss an important topic. I have a few thoughts i will write later.

Edited by GUARDLING

It seems pretty simple to me, I won't take the chance that someone impersonates a transgender just to get access to some "Man / Women / Girl / Boy". If you don't think the potential is there you'd be kidding yourself.

A problem, of course, that doesn't exist, except as a boogie-man designed to scare the masses. There have been more instances of crimes committed in bathrooms by Republican congressmen and senators than there have by transgender folks.

And even if there was an issue, this law wouldn't solve it any better than it already does (which is to say, not at all).

• Like 4

You may very well be correct in your assessment. However, there is nothing wrong in trying. Personally, I believe in the dictum "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

I think there is a lot wrong in trying, actually, with respect to any matter where the interests of DCI's members are not directly involved. Every minute and every dollar spent on unrelated matters is a minute or dollar not spent attending to the critical needs, and DCI doesn't have that many minutes or dollars to begin with.

And while I feel strongly that no one should ever be discriminated against in a significant way and absolutely should be protected from violence or any other significant harm, I have the humility to know that I can't possibly be an expert on every law in every state in every context under every means of enforcement with respect to every conceivable scenario to every possible result.

And even if I did, it would be wrong for me to demand that DCI take some action that may not represent the opinions of every single one of its members who, last I checked, are individuals and should be respected as such. DCI should be there for the welfare of its members, not to do their thinking for them.

I think there is a lot wrong in trying, actually, with respect to any matter where the interests of DCI's members are not directly involved. Every minute and every dollar spent on unrelated matters is a minute or dollar not spent attending to the critical needs, and DCI doesn't have that many minutes or dollars to begin with.

And while I feel strongly that no one should ever be discriminated against in a significant way and absolutely should be protected from violence or any other significant harm, I have the humility to know that I can't possibly be an expert on every law in every state in every context under every means of enforcement with respect to every conceivable scenario to every possible result.

And even if I did, it would be wrong for me to demand that DCI take some action that may not represent the opinions of every single one of its members who, last I checked, are individuals and should be respected as such. DCI should be there for the welfare of its members, not to do their thinking for them.

I would agree with you completely BUT have a question.

What if a significant amount of young people who ARE affected by such things stand up and say NO! period. In our activity there is a huge amount of people today who would support their friends ( or themselves )

I agree and DCI ( when needed ) can just make a general statement. As I said earlier in the post ( days ago ) most of these types of hang ups are not with the membership but in adults ( mostly, as far as my experience anyway )

. There have been more instances of crimes committed in bathrooms by Republican congressmen and senators than there have by transgender folks.

Well of course.. thats because for the simple reason that there are far, far more Republican and Democrat Congressmen (and Congresswoman) than transgenders in the Country. Because of their small numbers, transgenders in our Country probably commit less numbers of crimes in any given year than do the numbers of crimes committed by nation's school librarians too. We've also had a recent, former US President from the other side of the aisle than the Republican one, probably commit more sexual crimes in his lifetime than the numbers of sexual crimes committed by our nations entire transgender population. But it seems we are getting sidetracked here on just what the North Carolina new law is saying. It is not saying a thing about " sexual crimes ", nor is the new law presupposing that transgenders are threats to people's safety, nor was the law adopted to curb crime. The laws impetus has nothing at all to do with " crime ". It is not" a crime bill". and it does not criminalize transgender behavior either.

Now that we've cleared that up about this new North Carolina law...... carry on..............

Edited by BRASSO