LGBT laws and drum corps?

This horse has been beaten to death at least a thousand times now. And the rights of transgender people is a very difficult subject in regards to today's societal norms. It is one that will be a contentious issue for a long time to come. In regards to DCI, I think the MMs will deal with it in a far more mature way than most adults. It is the world they have or are growing up in and they view things very differently than those of us of another generation.

The law that North Carolina passed and other states seem to be following suit with has so much more to do with basic human rights than a biologically born male or female using the opposite gender's bathroom. The root of these evil laws has to do, still, with hatred, bigotry, prejudice and religious hangups.

If one would read the North Carolina law in it's entirety, it would become very obvious that it is a very dangerous law, under the guise of who should be able to use a certain bathroom. Among the basic rights, some very important legal ones, being trampled on are those of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender populous.

Among the leaders, instructors, other staff and most of all the MMs of DCI are many, many LGBT people. At the very least DCI should do everything it can to assure that the basic rights of these people should be protected. DCI should take a stance, loudly, on this issue and if it means protesting so be it.

By the way, the Governor of North Carolina was on Meet the Press this morning. Listen to it. The man is a fool and is trying to cover his ###, so to speak, in trying not to admit that he should never have signed the bill..

It is a shame that the almighty dollar will be what stops the movement of bigotry, prejudice and hatred, but so be it. The GOP has created a monster with it's recent extremist politics and hopefully this will be defeated. And hopefully DCI will not get caught up in the political mess we find ourselves in.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 3

I wonder if there would be any boycotting and of course why not?

It seems like we have the most to lose from our brothers and sisters in the LGBT community. Where would we be without them?

I am not offering any opinions on the subject I just want to know your feelings on the matter. Should certain shows not take place?

I think there's been a lot of great back and forth in this thread and I'd like to thank FlamMaster for starting it. I'd like to offer this link I recently found that may possibly most accurately answer his question.

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

I'd like to offer this link I recently found that may possibly most accurately answer his question.

I'm not sure that's the video you wanted; were you thinking of this?

• Like 1

how do these laws impact the corps?

edit: what would a corps have to do differently now that these laws are passed?

if the answer is nothing, then...

You guys are being so abstract, talking about "the corps" as if corps isn't another word for a group of people. The law doesn't impact the corps. The law impacts PEOPLE. Individuals: specifically, trans individuals, who may or may not be in drum corps. So rephrase the question: how does the law impact trans corps members, and should that matter to corps?

If a corps uses the gender-specific restroom facilities in school buildings and stadiums that are forbidden to trans people, then the trans corps members will be forbidden from participating as *equals* in their own activity while there. THAT impacts the corps.

Here's how. A disparity in how a facility treats a corps' members is enough of a reason for the corps not to attend certain shows. Either everyone in the corps is equal and able to expect their corps to defend that, or they're not. Either this matters to corps, or it doesn't.

You guys are talking about corps making "political statements." You're missing the point. It is not a political statement, in 2016, to say that respect for the integrity of all your dues-paying, talented, hardworking corps members is a baseline condition for your corps' appearance somewhere. In no other context would this even be a question. WHITES ONLY signs would not spur 22 pages of disagreement.

And if you think this should all depend on whether the corps actually has confirmed trans members, remember: peoples' bodies are not your business. So, since you can't know, do the right thing. Assume there's at least one trans member in your ranks. Assume that it's private--because it is. Defend them before they have to ask.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

This horse has been beaten to death at least a thousand times now. And the rights of transgender people is a very difficult subject in regards to today's societal norms. It is one that will be a contentious issue for a long time to come. In regards to DCI, I think the MMs will deal with it in a far more mature way than most adults. It is the world they have or are growing up in and they view things very differently than those of us of another generation.

The law that North Carolina passed and other states seem to be following suit with has so much more to do with basic human rights than a biologically born male or female using the opposite gender's bathroom. The root of these evil laws has to do, still, with hatred, bigotry, prejudice and religious hangups.

If one would read the North Carolina law in it's entirety, it would become very obvious that it is a very dangerous law, under the guise of who should be able to use a certain bathroom. Among the basic rights, some very important legal ones, being trampled on are those of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender populous.

Among the leaders, instructors, other staff and most of all the MMs of DCI are many, many LGBT people. At the very least DCI should do everything it can to assure that the basic rights of these people should be protected. DCI should take a stance, loudly, on this issue and if it means protesting so be it.

By the way, the Governor of North Carolina was on Meet the Press this morning. Listen to it. The man is a fool and is trying to cover his ###, so to speak, in trying not to admit that he should never have signed the bill..

It is a shame that the almighty dollar will be what stops the movement of bigotry, prejudice and hatred, but so be it. The GOP has created a monster with it's recent extremist politics and hopefully this will be defeated. And hopefully DCI will not get caught up in the political mess we find ourselves in.

1) A person cannot have it both ways as indicated (in red) above.

2) Any non-profit organization that does not adhere to their mission statement and goals (that allowed them to secure their particular non-profit status) are subject to lose said status.

In short, if (as example) a non-profit is not registered as being political, religious, etc. in nature and wanders outside the scope of their mission statement by privately or publicly "taking a stand"...............they are toast.

• Like 1

Open minded to the possiblity of putting your kids in danger...Now that's ignorant. I hardly think as a member of the LGBT community that I'm the only one that's protective of their kids.

Your kids are in danger with every step they take outside your door. They are in danger in every public restroom, event, or even walking down the street. Teach your kids how to handle situations and strangers.

But this fear that there's some creep in a dress hiding in the bathroom is silly. You do realize that 4 out of 5 victims of assault know their attacker. (which means its friends, relatives, and neighbors) 47% of rapist are a friend or acquaintance. 40% occur in the victim's own home.

This fear of a public bathrooms, and support of this bill, is ignorant and unwarranted.

• Like 3

. The GOP has created a monster with it's recent extremist politics and hopefully this will be defeated.

A small minority of radical extremists on the Left are making a mountain out of a mole hill with their histrionics on a law that essentially protects Women with the traditional request that they do not suffer the embarrassment of being confronted with an adult male with a male appendage in their Women's locker rooms and in their rest rooms. The sexual confusion of the transgender ( who has not undergone the requested surgery, nor hormonal replacement, and infusion of Estrogen, etc) is not the fault of 53% of women that make up the adult population .. Women get to vote on these issues too. There are dozens of additional states about to protect Women on this issue now too. There are examples of real sexual discrimination, hatred, bigotry ( including religious bigotry ), but a mere read of this law and what provisions it has enacted into law does not seem extreme to most people, imo. The only real outcry on this seems to be coming from the usual small minority of Leftist extremists in the Country... otherwise, no other states would be about to pass similar innocuous legislation that seemingly has majority support in the country. it it REALLY " extremist" to continue to require adult males with a male appendage to continue to use the Men's locker rooms, and Men's rest rooms ? Most people in the country don't think so anyway. Its only the small minority of extremists on the Left on this issue that thinks its appropriate to inconvenience the majority of people in this Country to protect the 0.30% of the population that are confused with their gender, and as such believe that they are entitled to use the Women's facilities no matter if most Women, who make up the majority of people in this Country, agree with them or not.

Edited by BRASSO

. . .while we encourage as open a discussion here as possible, please be mindful of the Community Guidelines and let's veer away from the larger political argument and back towards how this relates to the drum corps activity.

Thanks very much for your consideration. :)

You guys are being so abstract, talking about "the corps" as if corps isn't another word for a group of people. The law doesn't impact the corps. The law impacts PEOPLE. Individuals: specifically, trans individuals, who may or may not be in drum corps. So rephrase the question: how does the law impact trans corps members, and should that matter to corps?

If a corps uses the gender-specific restroom facilities in school buildings and stadiums that are forbidden to trans people, then the trans corps members will be forbidden from participating as *equals* in their own activity while there. THAT impacts the corps.

Or, as several posters have already stated, the trans members can simply use the other restroom. There will still be a restroom available to those members, just perhaps not the one they want to use.

The argument the pro-N.C. law posters have made runs essentially as follows:

1. Many transgendered people feel uncomfortable using the restroom that doesn't match their internal, self-perceived gender.

2. Many cisgendered people feel uncomfortable sharing a restroom with others who appear to be of the opposite gender.

3. Cisgender people vastly outnumber transgender people. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Do I think the latter discomfort is silly? Yes, I do. But I think it is incumbent upon those arguing against the North Carolina law to show that it is causing a harm so serious as to overturn the will of the majority. Or in the case of drum corps, that those particular members are being harmed.