LGBT laws and drum corps?

<p>

I think maybe i was trying to respond to this part of the posters comment about dci

it would be wrong for me to demand that DCI take some action that may not represent the opinions of every single one of its members who, last I checked, are individuals and should be respected as such. DCI should be there for the welfare of its members, not to do their thinking for them.

I would agree noone should do the thinking for anyone BUT as I said I wonder IF a number of young people

( as I have had some ask ) what position does a corps have on a given subject. I do believe MAYBE in the future we all do have to take some kind of a stand if only to say we are inclusive, protect, respect etc etc. all.

SKevinP

No I was never saying a corps shouldn't have an internal policy with respect to any issues in which its choices impact its members. I hope they do everything necessary to ensure the safety, well-being and inclusiveness of all members regardless of gender, orientation or gender identity.

No I was never saying a corps shouldn't have an internal policy with respect to any issues in which its choices impact its members. I hope they do everything necessary to ensure the safety, well-being and inclusiveness of all members regardless of gender, orientation or gender identity.

Oh I didnt think you were saying anything different. Just in a broader scope I dont think DCI as a whole is immune to these subjects but given DCI " IS" the corps, maybe statements will or wont be made based on effect of corps. and how it's members feel. Based on my own experience we may ( not now ) but in the future see membership and the changing world and the needs of members dictating things in the future we may not have had to in the past. We shall see, It's a changing world and must faster than ever.

.003% sounds much too low. That's like 1 in every 3000 people.

Fair enough. To be more precise on this, I actually went back just now to look at the latest data on this. One of the largest and most respected researchers in this field is from the research being currently done at UCLA. Their research shows that its actually 0.3 % of the US population that is estimated to be transgender. The source that the US transgender population is currently estimated to be less than a half of 1% of the US population is from the UCLA School of Law, Williams Institute, from LGBT researcher ( and LGBT issues supporter ) Prof. Gary Gates :

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-we-dont-know-the-size-of-the-transgender-population/

Edited by BRASSO

So when we are discussing whether or not a man who self selects themselves as a woman should have the right . . .

I'm not sure "self selects" is really the best way to describe the situation. Most people don't choose their sexual orientation or perceived gender. I doubt you "self selected" to be a straight man (admittedly, I'm just assuming that's what you are); rather, that's simply what you innately feel yourself to be. As I understand it, the same innate feeling applies to transgender people, although cultural expectations make things more complicated (if your parents tell you from birth that you're a boy, but you feel that, despite your anatomy, you're inherently a girl, you can get pretty messed up: suicide rates are pretty high for transgendered people).

(But kudos for the 583.com citation for the population percentage figure. That's a useful site.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Fair enough. To be more precise on this, I actually went back just now to look at the latest data on this and according to a highly credible source, their research shows that its actually approx. 0.3 % of the US population that is " transgender ". The source that the US transgender population is less than a half of 1% of the population is from the UCLA School of Law, Williams Institute, from LGBT researcher ( and LGBT issues supporter ) Prof. Gary Gates :

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-we-dont-know-the-size-of-the-transgender-population/

Fair enough. To be more precise on this, I actually went back just now to look at the latest data on this and according to a highly credible source, their research shows that its actually approx. 0.3 % of the US population that is " transgender ". The source that the US transgender population is less than a half of 1% of the population is from the UCLA School of Law, Williams Institute, from LGBT researcher ( and LGBT issues supporter ) Prof. Gary Gates :

That number sounds more believable. Uncommon but not rare. My nephew is a T. He's a good kid.

I'm not sure "self selects" is really the best way to describe the situation. Most people don't choose their sexual orientation or perceived gender. I doubt you "self selected" to be a straight man (admittedly, I'm just assuming that's what you are); rather, that's simply what you innately feel yourself to be. As I understand it, the same innate feeling applies to transgender people, although cultural expectations make things more complicated (if your parents tell you from birth that you're a boy, but you feel that, despite your anatomy, you're inherently a girl, you can get pretty messed up: suicide rates are pretty high for transgendered people).

(But kudos for the 583.com citation for the population percentage figure. That's a useful site.)

A person that is born with a "P" instead of a " V ", is considered by both the American Medical Society as well as the American Psychological Society to be " a Male ". The only way a person that does not have surgery to remove the " P " can not be considered " a Male " is when such a person self selects for themselves that despite their male appendage, they are not " a Male ",... that they are " a Woman " or are " Something Else ". Yes, it is true that suicide tends to be higher in the transgender population than the general population at large. Sexual confusion is probably a human condition that is probably horribly difficult to live with for those that have this unique sexual confusion issue that transgenders have to grapple with. The fact that so many refuse to have the " P " removed surgically( and instead receive a " V " as replacement, as well as hormone/ estrogen injections, etc) speaks unfortunately to the ongoing confusion that they are having with their gender identification for themselves, and for those they meet in the world.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't understand why this kind of thing needs to be in the law in any way, shape or form.

In a private setting, either the owner of the bathroom chooses to allow it or not. The Gov't has nothing to do with it.

As far as public buildings, just build a separate bathroom, for crying out loud. If they can't afford it at a particular time, oh well. We have has gone this far having 2 separate bathrooms and society is still intact.

There is no reason to seriously offend the sensibilities of 99% of the population to appease the .03% by forcing people to live with something that may make them feel majorly uncomfortable.

I certainly don't think that women should have to shower with an "anatomical male who is mentally female" if they don't feel comfortable with it - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable with it, btw.