LGBT laws and drum corps?

I would catergorize my comments on here as... " concerned ".. however. More like " intrigued ". I do find this thread to be interesting. Of course, if you look at my numbers of posts on DCP, its fair to conclude that I am equally intrigued by thousands of other thread topics on here as well. But thanks anyway for your " thank you"s " with my thread discussion participation. ( why not just give me a " like " instead " ? )

But you seem particularly interested in this issue which is fabulous. Congratulations on involving yourself in such a current issue. Your involvement clearly shows how you are concerned about things.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

But you seem particularly interested in this issue which is fabulous. Congratulations on involving yourself in such a current issue. Your involvement clearly shows how you are concerned about things.

You're welcome. Thanks for others input on this thread topic as well !

The whole idea of "boycotts" seems rife with hypocrisy too. Cirque de Soleil announced they have cancelled their scheduled shows in North Carolina . . . but apparently have not done so for their upcoming scheduled shows in Saudi Arabia (and Dubai).

One counter-argument would be that it's reasonable to hold North Carolina to a higher standard than Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1

One counter-argument would be that it's reasonable to hold North Carolina to a higher standard than Saudi Arabia.

Perhaps... then again, somebody ( not me ) would say, thats an Arab prejudice attitude coming through with such a remark of holding North Carolinans to a " higher standard " than the Saudi's. I see no rational reason to hold an ally of the US ( and one we are so dependent on Oil with ) to a " lower standard " than one we apply to North Carolinians. Especially, when that country ( and Dubai ) are far more wealthy, educated, and should know better by now.

Furthermore, I also see no compelling reason that if Bruce Springsteen, Circue Du Soleil, etc can see fit to boycott an American state for what is essentially a bathroom law, that they can can't likewise choose to withhold their services to customers (countries) that as a lawful public policy see fit to torture and murder those in the transgender community within its own borders. The Left tends to lose their attempt at reaching a " high moral ground" with the majority of Americans with such hypocrisy however, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

You comment in a balanced way on this issue, imo. However, to inject gay marriage into this, or racial intermarriage is unfortunate. These two issues are unrelated to what is essentially a bathroom (and locker room law) in North Carolina.

I know that at the moment, many people see them as unrelated. Others see them as falling under a general heading of civil rights. Time will tell. To stick with the subject of plumbing, segregated drinking fountains in themselves probably didn't seem particularly onerous to many people in the 1950s. It's not as bad as lynching, after all. But obviously the two were related!

Comparisons to the history of attitudes toward nuclear power seem unhelpful. (Particularly if such comparisons never mention Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or Fukushima.)

I recommend reading this little article which describes the situation in North Carolina of a transgender man, i.e., one whose birth certificate says that he's female. Look at his picture. The new North Carolina law says he has to use the women's restroom. Think about that. Think about the possibility of a drum corps member whose circumstances are similar.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I see no rational reason to hold an ally of the US (and one we are so dependent on oil with) to a "lower standard" than one we apply to North Carolinians. Especially, when that country (and Dubai) are far more wealthy, educated, and should know better by now.

U.S. history brims with alliances to nasty dictatorships. It's harder to effect change abroad than it is at home. We regularly say we're better; we should act like it. (My mind is not settled on the question of boycotts, either in Raleigh or Riyadh. As with most politics, some compromise is probably necessary.)

Comparisons to the history of attitudes toward nuclear power seem unhelpful. (Particularly if such comparisons never mention Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or Fukushima.)

Fair enough. Despite the accidental tragedies of Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima, it is still fair to state that Nuclear Power today is far more accepted by the vast majority of people.... including even most on the Far Left.... than at any time since the 1970's when Leftist protests at US Power Plants took place just about every weekend in states all across the Country. Heck, even Bruce Springsteen has given up on participating in organized Leftist protests of Nuclear Energy now. He hasn't spoken out about " No Nukes " in decades now. He and the Left lost the issue frankly, as time marched on... ( Nuclear Power is an accepted source of clean energy today and is now here to stay. ). As for the current issue, when time marches on and the International Jihadists secure Nuclear Weapons with delivery capabilities, these state bathroom laws will then probably only mean that many Americans will be running to the nearest toilets with THAT new thought in mind, and it won't matter if these are Men's or Women's toilets, nor who's using the nearest stalls to them, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

This thread has seemingly strayed from discussing drum corps.

Has any corps had to deal with the situation and how was it considered?

At the most recent Combine meeting of the BoDs of DCI corps, the topic was supposed to be on the agenda. Was it? How did it develop further?

Why is assigning the "family unit" bathroom at schools corps use for billeting not a proper solution or assigning the coach's shower not a solution for cleaning of self?

If corps have members whose gender identities are complicated, even gender dysphoric, what protocols have been devised in the face of an unsettled school board or uncooperative custodian?

If there are not answers to the above, rather than prattle on, maybe it's time for the moderators to lock the thread and say "move on."

• Like 1

The whole idea of " boycotts " seems rife with hyprocrisy too. Cirque De Soleil announced they have cancelled their scheduled shows in North Carolina... but apparently have not done so for their upcoming scheduled shows in Saudi Arabia ( and Dubai ).

One performance in SA, plus the powers to be sweetening the pot, will earn more than several performances in the USA.