LGBT laws and drum corps?

U.S. history brims with alliances to nasty dictatorships. It's harder to effect change abroad than it is at home.

Not really. The US has stuck its nose into foreign affairs since its very beginnings, to exert changes that it has seen as beneficial to itself. Many a time those Countries acquiesced to US demands too. ( sometimes with ineffectual US leadership, less so too, of course ).

Besides, this is not US Governmental policy we are asking here toward the Saudi's & the Kuwaiti's. We are talking about private business " boycotts " of their once customers, ie, the boycotts of Springsteen, & Cirque, and their apparent hypocrisy in cancelling their shows for their customers in North Carolina, but not in Dubai, and other Cities where actual persecutions of Gays and Christians alike go on equally with impunity daily there. What better way for " The Boss " to show that he is "Born in the USA " than to tell the show sponsors on his domestic and foreign 2016 tour that his Leftist views of the World are not merely USA zip code centric with these beliefs of his ? Or is this perhaps too much to ask of him ?

Edited by BRASSO

Hmmmm...I think that term should be changed to "personcotts".

Why not? While watching some of the Boston Marathon the wheel chair athletes are now called "rim wheel" competitor's on TV.

You're welcome. Thanks for others input on this thread topic as well !

It's nice that someone takes such time to be involved in all things "Gay" here. You seem to be so concerned about issues.

You guys are being so abstract, talking about "the corps" as if corps isn't another word for a group of people. The law doesn't impact the corps. The law impacts PEOPLE. Individuals: specifically, trans individuals, who may or may not be in drum corps. So rephrase the question: how does the law impact trans corps members, and should that matter to corps?

If a corps uses the gender-specific restroom facilities in school buildings and stadiums that are forbidden to trans people, then the trans corps members will be forbidden from participating as *equals* in their own activity while there. THAT impacts the corps.

Here's how. A disparity in how a facility treats a corps' members is enough of a reason for the corps not to attend certain shows. Either everyone in the corps is equal and able to expect their corps to defend that, or they're not. Either this matters to corps, or it doesn't.

FWIW, the law also impacts the 99% of people that are not trans.

Your argument is that trans people should be able to go into the bathroom that they want to, without regard for how this impacts other. Why should only trans people have that right? Should cis people also have that right?

Should a 17 year old girl have to shower next to a 25 year old person with a #####?

Is a 15 year old entitled to expect a "safe space" where she will not be exposed to something she doesn't want to be exposed to when using the bathroom?

There is a fundamental statement here, that is "we have 2 different bathrooms so ___________"... and it appears that people fill in the blank differently.

Personally, I am pretty sympathetic to finding a solution that can work for everyone, but when people refuse a private restroom and demand to be let into one of the main 2 bathrooms, I lose sympathy pretty quickly. And don't say it doesn't happen.

The district offers transgender students the use of private locker room space for changing during physical education classes and after-school activities. The student’s family filed the Office of Civil Rights complaint in spring 2014, rejecting that option and seeking unrestricted locker room access.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/school-district-fights-feds-on-transgender-students-locker-room-access/

I respect how you feel and also understand it and totally agree but want to ask. what makes you think your kids aren't in danger just as things are. No doubt at all , all kids have to do is leave the house and there's danger. Just today on the news I saw a man who molested 2 little girls for sometime on a school bus. I think ( unfortunately for kids because they can't be kids ) education and preparation of some sort is better than fear of differences. jmo

As relating to drum corps. I really dont see an issue. how drum corps relates to social issues of all kinds in the future is another thing and i do think drum corps will have to. Things today are much different from decades ago and drum corps already have had to do things we never thought of in the past. i guess maybe it will really become a case by case situation.

Please understand I am not disagreeing and a good parent always has concerns and with good reason.

I think the older generation...me included, see dangers now, that we never imaged when we were young. That doesn't mean they weren't there, nor does it mean we can prevent everything. Some day for some of us, it may not matter what we do to protect the ones we love. We can only to the best we can at this moment.

Your kids are in danger with every step they take outside your door. They are in danger in every public restroom, event, or even walking down the street. Teach your kids how to handle situations and strangers.

But this fear that there's some creep in a dress hiding in the bathroom is silly. You do realize that 4 out of 5 victims of assault know their attacker. (which means its friends, relatives, and neighbors) 47% of rapist are a friend or acquaintance. 40% occur in the victim's own home.

This fear of a public bathrooms, and support of this bill, is ignorant and unwarranted.

Thank goodness we don't have to agree.